G37 Sedan

Tint + Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:55 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Tint + Navigation

I've done a search already, and either no one cares, or it isn't applicable - wasn't stated. Can someone tell me where our navigation antennas are? Are they on the back window shield? I'm assuming the shark fin's for our XM. I cheaped out a while back on a tint job for my TL and I paid for it the rest of my ownership - the navigation was always off. Anyone know if we need window moles for scratching?

Thanks all,
Eric
Old 05-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Noremac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The GPS antenna is in the upper dash. Yet another reason not to tint the windshield
Old 05-06-2010, 11:27 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drawing is from the '09 sedan service manual, the GPS antenna is number 18. Like he said ^^

I think one would access it from behind/underneath the dashboard.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 PM
mw09g37

just get the non-metallic(ceramic) tint and you'll be fine.

the metallic ones are going to screw with your navi.

it's going to cost a little more than the standard tint, but hey don't be a cheap now. or you shouldn't have gone without the navi.

Last edited by mw09g37; 05-06-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:21 AM
eksigned

darn it! i was planning on tinting the windshield this time around...!
Old 05-07-2010, 04:33 AM
amf25

I have all windows with 20% including windshield and sunroof and nav works perfect...
Old 05-07-2010, 05:17 AM
eksigned

Originally Posted by amf25
I have all windows with 20% including windshield and sunroof and nav works perfect...
not to be rude, but how the hell're you still alive? lol
you tinted your windshield 20%?! thanks for the heads up man haha

do we have anything on the back window i should be concerned with? antennas for...anything?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:02 PM
LightsOut

Originally Posted by mw09g37
just get the non-metallic(ceramic) tint and you'll be fine.

the metallic ones are going to screw with your navi.

it's going to cost a little more than the standard tint, but hey don't be a cheap now. or you shouldn't have gone without the navi.

bingo! correct answer here.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:27 PM
amg35

Originally Posted by amf25
I have my wife's QX56 windsheild tinted - no problems with the Nav.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me that tint shops exist that are dumb enough to open themselves up to the liability that tinting a windshield creates. Having customers that want windshield tint sign waivers is as good as admitting guilt, and this kind of negligence probably isn't even covered by their own insurance companies.

Even though I understand the appeal of windshield tint, I couldn't in good faith do it. If something happens afterward, I'd always be wondering if it could have been avoided if my visibility were better. From a practical standpoint, don't do this if you have ANY assets, because you're wide open to being sued for pretty much everything you have if you're in an accident and any % of blame can be placed on you because of the illegal tint.

To the OP: Just get the ceramic tint. It rejects more heat, looks great, and you won't have to wonder if you're degrading your nav reception.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:45 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've 35% metallic all around on mine since 2006. No Navi issues ... no tint on windshield either.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:30 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't understand tinting the windshield at all. The strip across the top maybe (even though I don't even like that much), but tinting the whole windshield, especially 20%, seems dangerous and foolish to me...
Old 05-08-2010, 10:58 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 15951
It never ceases to amaze me that tint shops exist that are dumb enough to open themselves up to the liability that tinting a windshield creates. Having customers that want windshield tint sign waivers is as good as admitting guilt, and this kind of negligence probably isn't even covered by their own insurance companies.
um...if they sign a waiver saying they understand the risks involved and knowingly waive the right to blame the shop in any way is not admitting guilt at all. And if they sign a waiver it exhonerates them of any liability (AKA it isn't an issue and they don't have to worry about insurance covering it b/c its not their problem)...

look if people want to get it, get it. if you don't, then don't.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:10 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Having had tints for less than a week and having just washed my car yesterday (), I can say for certain that the tints are a magnet for green tree pollen.

Not that they attract more of it or anything, just that it really stands out against the black background -- moreso than the clear widows or white paint. You folks with black cars must go nuts.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:14 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
um...if they sign a waiver saying they understand the risks involved and knowingly waive the right to blame the shop in any way is not admitting guilt at all. And if they sign a waiver it exhonerates them of any liability (AKA it isn't an issue and they don't have to worry about insurance covering it b/c its not their problem)...

look if people want to get it, get it. if you don't, then don't.
Yeah, that logic might work with something like a CF hood or tacky wheels, but tinting your windshield makes you a danger on the road to other drivers. Thats not an IMO kind of problem....

Quick Reply: Tint + Navigation