G37 Sedan

Wishlist for Nextgen Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I don't know about that. I think there are a lot of cheap, if not free, fixes. Like....
Well, some of those on your cheap list could be, and I hope will be, implemented with minimal cost.

But if you look at the complete list as recorded in this thread, many suggestions are cost prohibitive. For example, one poster suggested eliminating the nav lockout. That in itself could add $1,000 to the MSRP in additional liability coverage for potential lawsuits against Nissan. Perhaps that’s one reason why BMW’s cost so much more than G’s.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Noremac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about that. I think there are a lot of cheap, if not free, fixes. Like:

2. 60/40 split folding seats. This will add a little cost - very little considering this is available for free on cars like the Nissan Sentra and Altima.
Not really. The back seat is integral to the structural design of the car and provides significant "box" strength, especially for resisting body twist and driveline torque. While split folding seats can obviously be accomodated into the structural design of a stiff car, the basic Infiniti FM body has not changed since its intro in 2003, and it would not be a simple change to achieve the same strucutural results without adding weight, raising CG, etc. Look for it in the next gen car?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:05 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Wish the body was a bit wider.
Hate how the car doesn't unlock until the cars shut off.
Weight.
Torque.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by eksigned
Hate how the car doesn't unlock until the cars shut off.
When do you want it to unlock?? It's definately a good safety feature IMO.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:14 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree, but I'm coming from an 5AT Acura TL, where we had the option of choosing unlocking points between Park and Off.
The 6MT G37S is my first manual car...................see where I'm coming from?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Noremac
Not really. The back seat is integral to the structural design of the car and provides significant "box" strength, especially for resisting body twist and driveline torque. While split folding seats can obviously be accomodated into the structural design of a stiff car, the basic Infiniti FM body has not changed since its intro in 2003, and it would not be a simple change to achieve the same strucutural results without adding weight, raising CG, etc. Look for it in the next gen car?
I was wondering if the reason for not having split folding seats, in my 2010 sedan, was to add structural integrity for better handling. It makes sense to me unless someone comes up with a better explanation
Old 05-03-2010, 08:43 PM
supracrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only available in manual. and or DSG as an Option.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:45 PM
DownstairsDave
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Chekov
Well, some of those on your cheap list could be, and I hope will be, implemented with minimal cost.

But if you look at the complete list as recorded in this thread, many suggestions are cost prohibitive. For example, one poster suggested eliminating the nav lockout. That in itself could add $1,000 to the MSRP in additional liability coverage for potential lawsuits against Nissan. Perhaps that’s one reason why BMW’s cost so much more than G’s.
You think the price of BMW's would go down if they added nav lockout? Any adult should have the common sense not to be doing ridiculous things while driving the endanger their lives. I wish some people would start taking responsibility for what they do instead of lawsuiting their way out of it.

If this is the case though, I'd be happy to knock a couple grand off the price of my next car for a cell phone text deactivator.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by DownstairsDave
You think the price of BMW's would go down if they added nav lockout? Any adult should have the common sense not to be doing ridiculous things while driving the endanger their lives. I wish some people would start taking responsibility for what they do instead of lawsuiting their way out of it.

If this is the case though, I'd be happy to knock a couple grand off the price of my next car for a cell phone text deactivator.
I do believe this is the case. If you consider all the steps Nissan (and Toyota for that matter) take to enforce their nav lockouts, one can only conclude it’s a serious liability issue for them. It’s my hope though; the continued advancement of voice recognition technology makes the need for manual destination inputs while moving quite unnecessary. As litigious as we are in America, maybe that will help to keep new car prices down somewhat, at least in that area.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by DownstairsDave
Any adult should have the common sense not to be doing ridiculous things while driving the endanger their lives. I wish some people would start taking responsibility for what they do instead of lawsuiting their way out of it..
While any adult SHOULD have the sense, a very large number have NO sense when driving. Talking on phones, texting, doing their makeup, reading newspapers/books, eating, etc.. etc.. I see people doing all of these things and more while driving. Then they do it in the left lane and many end up weaving all over the road. Sadly, this country has become one where they design things for the lowest common denominator.

I agree wholeheartedly about the lawsuits. Sadly, that is only getting worse though.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:17 AM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blnewt
When do you want it to unlock?? It's definately a good safety feature IMO.
most european designs unlock the vehicle when the passenger or driver opens the door. Or the way BMW does it, first pull unlocks, second pull opens

But then you say "well what if you have kids, they will open the doors"....well thats when you throw them in the back and put the child safety lock.

American cars will unlock the doors as soon as you put it in park, which also makes sense because sometimes ill run real quick into my house and leave the car running.

it gets annoying that you have to wait till the car is off to unlock. I know in my case, ill open the door and then shut off the car as im getting out.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:32 AM
AlterZgo

Originally Posted by Noremac
Good points. What burns me is the fact that the G37 coupe (built on the same FM platform) has split/folding rear seats. And it presents more of a structural challenge b/c it doesn't have the b-pillars which act as an addt'l brace btw the front and rear doors on a sedan.

The coupe's suppose to be the less practical, sportier version, yet has this very useful feature whereas the more family oriented sedan doesn't.

Just don't know that Infiniti's thinking is on this.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:37 AM
AlterZgo

Originally Posted by Chekov
I doubt it. EVERY Honda/Acura has no lock out of nav, bluetooth or any other function. You can fully access everything with the car in full motion.

So, if Honda is making this full control availability on their nav equipped Civics and Accords, I would argue this is more of a philosophical decision rather than the actual cost of potential legal liability causing it to be cost prohibitive.

Some auto makers, i.e. Honda/Acura and Mercedes, don't lock anything out. Others, i.e. BMW & Infiniti do.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

I doubt it. EVERY Honda/Acura has no lock out of nav, bluetooth or any other function. You can fully access everything with the car in full motion.

So, if Honda is making this full control availability on their nav equipped Civics and Accords, I would argue this is more of a philosophical decision rather than the actual cost of potential legal liability causing it to be cost prohibitive.

Some auto makers, i.e. Honda/Acura and Mercedes, don't lock anything out. Others, i.e. BMW & Infiniti do.
My premise is quite simple: Every manufacturer with no nav lockouts has put their potential liability into the price of the car. Those with nav lockouts like Nissan have taken extensive steps to keep it that way, e.g., startup messages, anti-hack software upgrades (like Toyota has repeatedly done), and through improved voice recognition systems. It’s hard to prove one way or another of course, but I believe Infiniti owners have benefited somewhat from not paying for possible navigation-caused lawsuits that others have to consider.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:50 PM
PascalT

Originally Posted by ExtraCrispy
7. Bring back the old voice recognition which doesn't need 8798798 prompts to do anything!.
That's my biggest request along with better MPG. It's annoying to have to say 6 different things just to put in a phone call. We should be able to say the command right away without having the car list ALL the options first.

Quick Reply: Wishlist for Nextgen Sedan