G37 Sedan

Washington Post reviews 2010 G37X sedan

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:36 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Washington Post reviews 2010 G37X sedan

Good review; had nothing bad to say about it. Although he doesn't view the car in the same way as most enthusiasts -- not like the kind of folks who would participate in a g37 web forum, for example. But he's writing for a mainstream audience.

washingtonpost.com
Old 04-19-2010, 10:27 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Nice review--I didn't find it at all mainstream. That Brown picked up on and singled out the G37's steering was impressive; but his assessment of the overall appeal was spot on.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 PM
KingG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must say I've been seeing a lot of posts on the G37 recently (C&D magazine recently had one)..saying good things...hence the reason I'm here lol. His review is pretty much what others are saying.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:00 PM
rehtea

nice review but.. so a 60-year old guy likes the G? Well gee, that's great! that's just the right image for the G! Wonder if he tried a Buick..
Old 04-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Sal123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dkmura
Nice review--I didn't find it at all mainstream. That Brown picked up on and singled out the G37's steering was impressive; but his assessment of the overall appeal was spot on.
There are several technical reasons for this, including an optional, sporty, quick-steering ratio on the car used for this column. If you are buying the G37x, you'd be wise to get it with that option.
Ok, but the problem is and correct me if I'm wrong those who actually know these things, there is no difference in the steering between the x and xS. I have the xS. Only the 6MT Sport actually has a different set up than the rest . On the G37xS it's all just asthetic.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:23 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by rehtea
nice review but.. so a 60-year old guy likes the G? Well gee, that's great! that's just the right image for the G! Wonder if he tried a Buick..
My Dad's 70 and he has an M3, he'd never consider a buick
Old 04-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Noremac

Originally Posted by rehtea
Wonder if he tried a Buick..
As a matter of fact, yes, he did. In last week's column, no less, where he heaped praise on the new Buick LaCrosse, adding that it beat all the competition, including Infiniti. YMMV
Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 AM
328HP

It took me a while to get used to that "quick-steering setup" on my 10 Xs. Coming from an 08X I was not expecting a change in steering at all. I agree with the guy, this should be stnd, the car feels better IMO with this setup.

How can the guy talk about dusting an 18 wheeler, LOL, you dont need 328hp for that.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 AM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by Sal123
Ok, but the problem is and correct me if I'm wrong those who actually know these things, there is no difference in the steering between the x and xS. I have the xS. Only the 6MT Sport actually has a different set up than the rest . On the G37xS it's all just asthetic.
That's funny, I thought the same thing when reading that review.

One possibility is I think he said he tested the special anniversary edition (with the funky red seats I guess). Maybe it's available on that? Or more likely he just didn't realize the x didn't have it.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 AM
stratos

His little story about the trucks tells me a lot about that guy.

"....moving along I-81 north, when we got trucked -- tailgated by an 18-wheeler -- yet again."

Another left lane hogging idiot impeding normal flow of traffic.
No buddy it's not you...it's all these 18 wheelers that are out to get you.

"I knew what was under the G37's hood. I squeezed the accelerator, and . . . zoom! Goodbye, truck."

clap clap clap... awesome piece of journalism right there.

Personally, I would've prefer it if he had said something bad about the G.
Now, ..... I just feel dirty
Old 04-20-2010, 12:36 PM
328HP

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
That's funny, I thought the same thing when reading that review.

One possibility is I think he said he tested the special anniversary edition (with the funky red seats I guess). Maybe it's available on that? Or more likely he just didn't realize the x didn't have it.
I agree 100% with the guy, the steering setup on the xS is most certainly different to the X. I had a discussion about this with a guy here who owns both the x and the xS, I came from a 2nd Gen x to an xS and that is the first thing I observed.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Sal123

Originally Posted by 328HP
I agree 100% with the guy, the steering setup on the xS is most certainly different to the X. I had a discussion about this with a guy here who owns both the x and the xS, I came from a 2nd Gen x to an xS and that is the first thing I observed.
Hmmm... I'm still not convinced. I think we need to take this to the judges. I'd be happy if it is the case, but I don't recall a difference when I took the x for a test drive and then driving my xS.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:32 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by 328HP
As I linked in another thread, the xS does not have the quicker steering ratio like the RWD s has. The xS is mainly cosmetic differences.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-xs-sedan.html
Old 04-20-2010, 03:13 PM
328HP

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
As I linked in another thread, the xS does not have the quicker steering ratio like the RWD s has. The xS is mainly cosmetic differences.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-xs-sedan.html
I read the thread, the numbers are what they are, I cannot argue with that. If you drive both the x and xS back to back you will surely notice the difference. As I indicated previously, someone else here, who owns both the x and the xS arrived at the same conclusion. Otherwise I would have conculded long back that this was all in my head. Which is why I agree with the original author, he also observed the same thing that I did. Maybe he is using the wrong words, ultimately though, the "steering feel/responsiveness" is different for the x and xS.

No one is suggesting that the xS is in any way shape or form similar to the RWD or RWD S. Thats a whole different argument that I am sure no one wants to get into.

Last edited by 328HP; 04-20-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:56 PM
stratos

Maybe it's just the 18" wheels and performance tires that make the difference in 'feel' between the x and the xS.

I don't see why Infiniti wouldn't list the sport tuned steering if it was inside the sport package for the x.

Quick Reply: Washington Post reviews 2010 G37X sedan