Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:30 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that sucks, just roll your windows down when pulling into work
Old 04-16-2010, 04:30 PM
sbebs2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is on my back window too so he can see that. I do appeciate your comments. Inkew you all would understand! I am working with a local stereo shop that has hired an attorney to try and speak with the comish. It is only 1 cop who seems to go after everybody. I even filed for a medical exemption, but that is only for clear UV screening, but I thought it couldn't hurt if this guy is going to harass me at work. I wish I had another car to drive just to work! Aesome that I show up to work in a tie and have car seats in my back seat, I am an obvious gansta!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:43 PM
RaiderSuby

this sux.. I am lucky in Texas 25% front, any % for back door and rear windows.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I don’t understand the complaint here. If the PA law says 70% and you have 48% then it’s just a matter of time until you get nailed.

Sorry, but with the prevalence of posts on illegal tints around here, I don’t understand why anyone would criticize the cops for enforcing the law, especially near a school. Perhaps with some of the students looking on he was trying to make a point regarding window tints.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:55 PM
sbebs2000

Well the law is not that clear in PA. The only law actually passed by PA's congress states that it is illegal if an officer cannot see inside the vehicle. The 70% comes from PA's department of transportation fact sheet, not is not an actual statute. My main complaint is that I am on private proerty, did not violate any other laws and the cop watches people illegally park in our parking lot and jaywalk their kids to the school every day. If he was really worried about safety, you think that would be a bigger danger. Also, if I drove an SUV I could have limo black on my rear sides, wings and back window. But since I driver a sedan it is technically illegal according to the on chart this officer uses. Can you see why I am a bit frustrated by the situation? It seems just this one cop is taking things to an extreme.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Haji

I know someone here in WV with 5% all around, drives all over the damn place and has yet to even be slapped on the wrist. IMO, 70% is insanely dumb, 35% actually makes sense.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:28 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
You yourself admit your tint us "technically illegal". There's your answer.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
These posts are so lame. Cops don't make the laws, but they are paid to enforce them. Don't get upset at the cop for catching you after you break the law.

If the law is too extreme, call your local legislators and ask them to put forth a bill to change it. Otherwise, follow the law or accept the consequences if you choose not to.

The whiny "cops suck" posts show a real lack of character, IMO.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by iasskicker
I know someone here in WV with 5% all around, drives all over the damn place and has yet to even be slapped on the wrist. IMO, 70% is insanely dumb, 35% actually makes sense.
Sometimes you illegal tint advocates go too far with your rhetoric. Are those legislators who passed the 70% law insanely dumb? Or are they just trying to keep the night accident rate down so the tax payers wouldn’t have to pick up the tab?

IMO the only insanely dumb person is the VW guy with 5% all around.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 PM
freesurfer
Registered Member

You have rights too

Cops are staking out in your parking lot? Can't you tell them to leave your property? Or perhaps allow them to stay there IF they looking the other way on tint infractions?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Haji

Originally Posted by Chekov
Sometimes you illegal tint advocates go too far with your rhetoric. Are those legislators who passed the 70% law insanely dumb? Or are they just trying to keep the night accident rate down so the tax payers wouldn’t have to pick up the tab?

IMO the only insanely dumb person is the VW guy with 5% all around.
Yeah 5% is dumb, but I like the sun blocking effects of 20% or so, and the little less heat your interior gets when you leave it out in the sun.
Night driving with 20% isn't bad, just gotta be more vigilent..
Old 04-16-2010, 11:07 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sbebs2000
Well the law is not that clear in PA. The only law actually passed by PA's congress states that it is illegal if an officer cannot see inside the vehicle. The 70% comes from PA's department of transportation fact sheet, not is not an actual statute. My main complaint is that I am on private proerty, did not violate any other laws and the cop watches people illegally park in our parking lot and jaywalk their kids to the school every day. If he was really worried about safety, you think that would be a bigger danger. Also, if I drove an SUV I could have limo black on my rear sides, wings and back window. But since I driver a sedan it is technically illegal according to the on chart this officer uses. Can you see why I am a bit frustrated by the situation? It seems just this one cop is taking things to an extreme.
Searching the PA code (I found some discussions on this in other forums), it looks like the actual law is vague, but then later it does actually specify 70%. I'm slightly interested in this because my wife and I both visit family in PA regularly. Makes me wonder if I get 35% tints that are completely legal here but I might get pulled over when driving up there. Her SUV has the standard factory dark suv tints on the rear windows, which isn't a problem.

Applicable boring links:
067 Pa. Code §*175.263.*Sun screening location.

Then two pages later was this table:
067 Pa. Code §*175.265.*Exemption provisions.

<table><tbody><tr><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td> TABLE X—ACCEPTABLE LIGHT TRANSMITTANCE LEVELS
FOR VEHICLE GLAZING
All light transmittance levels listed below assume a 3% accuracy (±3%).

<table><tbody><tr><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>Front Side</td><td>Rear Side </td></tr> <tr><td>Vehicle Type </td><td>Windshield </td><td>Windows/Wings </td><td>Windows/Wings </td><td>Rear Window </td></tr> <tr><td>Pre-1998 Passenger Cars </td><td>70% </td><td>70% </td><td>70% </td><td>VESC-20* </td></tr> <tr><td>1998 & Newer Passenger Cars </td><td>70% </td><td>70% </td><td>70% </td><td>70% </td></tr> <tr><td>Trucks & Multi-Purpose
Passenger Vehicles </td><td>70% </td><td>70% </td><td>No Requirement </td><td>No Requirement </td></tr> <tr><td>Medium/Heavy Trucks & Buses </td><td>70% </td><td>70% </td><td>No Requirement </td><td>No Requirement </td></tr> <tr><td>All Other Vehicles </td><td>70% </td><td>70% </td><td>No Requirement </td><td>No Requirement</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Old 04-16-2010, 11:12 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, PA is extremely **** retentive... 70% OH shait, and I thought NC was bad at 35%... I feel for you. I had to remove my tint when I moved from CO to NC.. If I would have only bought a house in SC 27% instead and had I known I would have.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:23 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 04-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by iasskicker
Yeah 5% is dumb, but I like the sun blocking effects of 20% or so, and the little less heat your interior gets when you leave it out in the sun.
Night driving with 20% isn't bad, just gotta be more vigilent..
As far as less heat in your interior is concerned, my car came with air conditioning and I bought a car cover that solved the problem for me.

Regarding night driving at 20%, I agree one has to be more than vigilant. You have to have your insurance up-to-date, your will registered, and a lock of your hair given to your next of kin.

Quick Reply: Tint and the Fuzz!