G37 Sedan

2010 G37xS-Strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:42 PM
allagaroo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 G37xS-Strange problem

I had app.500 miles on the car and it was in heavy rain. We were sitting at a light and the car started shuddering. When I accelerated moderately the car had a major hesitation and if I didn't back off on the gas pedal I think it would have stalled. at first I thought it was anti skid kicking in. It continued to happen unless I accelerated very slowly. I tried to accelerate hard from 60 and the car felt like it almost stopped pushing us violently forward. I drove it cautiously to our destination and it didn't recur. Thinking back it seemed like I had to keep it under 3000 rpm?? 3 hours later I drove home and it was fine. I took it to the dealer the next day and they did all sorts of diagnostics and nothing showed up. Dealer was accommodating and terrific but I would've been happier if they could have told me what happened. Drove the car to Vermont from L.I. the next day and it was great coming and going. Hopefully it won't happen again. Any thoughts?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:55 PM
G37beijing

This happened to me once about 4 months ago, but it has not happened again ever since. See threads below.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ay-speeds.html

My dealer found no fault codes nor any other abnormality using the Consult III.

I think the car went into FAILSAFE mode somehow per below passage taking from Page 5-15 of manual, although I didn't encounter the causes listed, i.e. excessive wheel spin/hard braking.

"When the fail-safe operation occurs, note that
the transmission will be locked in any of the
forward gears according to the condition
If the vehicle is driven under extreme conditions,
such as excessive wheel spinning and subsequent
hard braking, the fail-safe system may be
activated. This will occur even if all electrical
circuits are functioning properly. In this case,
push the ignition switch to the OFF position and
wait for 3 seconds. Then push the ignition switch
back to the ON position. The vehicle should return
to its normal operating condition. If it does
not return to its normal operating condition,
have an INFINITI dealer check the transmission
and repair if necessary."

This is my opinion.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:00 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just had the exact same thing happen!

I have 26,000 miles, and I have never had ONE major problem with this car. I love it.

Just this morning on the way to work, (and btw it's 27 degrees out here in the Chicago Suburbs), after cruising in stop and go traffic for about 20 minutes, I was at a red light and came to my normal stop and I felt a slight "judder" .. the rpms dropped and I didn't think anything of it....

Then I started accelerating gingerly on the green light -- and I felt like I was a) running out of gas b) hitting a very low rev limiter. So, after having read this post a year ago -- I decided this seemed more like a computer glitch, and I quickly pulled over, shut the car off, started it right up again, and problem went away.

I'll take it to the dealer next week -- but does anyone know if there is a fix for this or a tsb? BTW -- NO ENGINE CODES OR DASH LIGHTS came on. The car is driving 100% fine now.

Scary -- b/c if I was trying to take a left turn into oncoming traffic, I could have been in a bad predicament.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:13 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
allagroo you need to put more miles on your car -- you had it for almost a year soon! it could've been bad gas which happened to me once and never happened again.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:24 AM
PeterUbers

da mayor -- you drive a G? Did this happen to you as well? Thanks
Old 11-07-2010, 11:23 AM
allagaroo

Originally Posted by da mayor
allagroo you need to put more miles on your car -- you had it for almost a year soon! it could've been bad gas which happened to me once and never happened again.
I have over 6000 miles on the car now and recently completed a drive to Montreal and Quebec City. Never happened again, I feel it definitely went into limp mode and limited rpm's to 3500. Never found out cause but shutting off ignition and restarting apparently worked at the time. Dealer reported it to Infiniti but I never heard anything since.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:40 AM
platinumg35x

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that is weird...
Old 11-14-2010, 09:34 AM
PeterUbers

Originally Posted by platinumg35x
that is weird...
Totally weird. Dealer told me of course that everything checked out and no codes were.found. must have been a freak event he said. Good thing I wasn't injured I guess
Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 PM
The Truth Hurts

Happened to me about 1 year ago, and I thought it was because my tank was low on gas (was about 1/8's full).

Then happened today on the freeway, driving around 100km/h (with snow mode on, as it was quite icy/slushy), and then all of a sudden, felt like the shifter had been engaged into neutral (even though it wasn't), and the car started to decelerate/coast. Pressing the accelerator did nothing, until it drifted down to about 60km/h, and then any effort on the gas would cause the car to shudder. Would only drive smoothly at 30km/h, so had to put on blinkers and get off the nearest exit. Shut off car in parking lot, waited about 1 hour, started the car, and back to normal.

Not very confidence inspiring. Will mention at my next service appt. Hopefully all that is required is an ECU/TCU update as some are suggesting.

2009 G37x Sedan
Old 12-14-2010, 12:16 AM
gee wiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had this happen in our previous 03 G at least three different times while idling at a light. It never completely died and cleared up immediately upon acceleration. We had the code checked and nothing. I recall back then that it wasn't an unusual occurrence with others based on the chat on the early G35 forums, so we never really worried about it. It's always worth documenting with the service department, though, just in case something more serious occurs later that is related, like right after your warranty expires.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:58 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by The Truth Hurts
Happened to me about 1 year ago, and I thought it was because my tank was low on gas (was about 1/8's full).

Then happened today on the freeway, driving around 100km/h (with snow mode on, as it was quite icy/slushy), and then all of a sudden, felt like the shifter had been engaged into neutral (even though it wasn't), and the car started to decelerate/coast. Pressing the accelerator did nothing, until it drifted down to about 60km/h, and then any effort on the gas would cause the car to shudder. Would only drive smoothly at 30km/h, so had to put on blinkers and get off the nearest exit. Shut off car in parking lot, waited about 1 hour, started the car, and back to normal.

Not very confidence inspiring. Will mention at my next service appt. Hopefully all that is required is an ECU/TCU update as some are suggesting.

2009 G37x Sedan
Looks like it hit some sort of limp mode, id tell the dealer asap.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Thomas Paine

Help! Transmission Bucking Bronco Problem.....2009 G37 Sedan

Part 1

Anyone know a fix for this bucking bronco G37 problem???

I purchased form a dealer a used (91,000 mi) 2009 G37 sedan. Had it about a month. One summer evening was driving along and stopped at a stop sign. Started up and when I hit approx 25 mph the car jolted forward. I let off the gas. Stepped on gas again and when it his approx. 25 mph same thing happened.....so I kept my foot on the gas and it went into bucking bronco mode....that is it jolted forward and then felt like it died and then within a 1/2 second jolted forward again and then felt like it died again....and kept doing this until I dropped the speed to around 20 mph. This bucking bronco bit was really violent! When I kept it at approx 20 mph it did not buck; however, when accelerating again to approx 25 it started the bucking bronco bit again.

Since I was about 5 miles from home (and it was around 1 a.m.) I didn't want to turn the car off just in case it did not start again; therefore, I gutted it out and drove the remaining 5 miles at approx 20 mph....and if I pushed it up to approx 25 mph it did the bucking bronco bit again.

[Continued in next post]