G37 Sedan

Loaner G is faster than mine!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 11:30 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
This is pretty funny that it appears that it is common for loaners to drive this way - this must be that thing about the transmission adjusting with negative and positive numbers, and people who drive like a maniac have like a -2 or something. I have no idea what I am talking about, but it sounds cool. But these cars really do seem to respond to very, very aggressive driving. These cars like angry drivers.
So how do we get our G's ECU's to "stick" into this performace mode without driving like a bat outta hell all the time?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
So how do we get our G's ECU's to "stick" into this performace mode without driving like a bat outta hell all the time?
As far as I know, we don't. My last car had a "normal" and "perf" switch for forcing the transmission into more aggressive shift mapping, but as far as I know, as only get a "snow" mode, and that's only with X.

If you drive very conservatively, an occasional ECU reset will at least get things back to factory spec.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:56 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
well, I git my second loaner, and its a 2008 G35 - that thing has amazing pickup! No bogging at all! Takes it off the line like a beast, totally different than my G37 - wtf? Pulls super strong, only feels like it my lose a little wind getting up top. Ahhhh - this is killing me - totally had any number of accidental burnouts tonight, never get burnouts in my G37 lke that. A much more responsive engine and tranny, it would seem - need to get some dynolicious numbers baaaad, so see what's up and all that. SO aggravating.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:00 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I only have 800 miles on my 2010, so it will be a few weeks before it has the easy driving 1,200 break-in miles on it.
Once the break-in driving is over, I thought I would do a momentary disconnect of the battery. This should reset the ECU and let it adjust to my normal driving style a lot sooner.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:38 PM
chie888
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My loaner 08 EX35 appear to respond nicer than my G37. I was amazed at the pick up, the manaul shifting, and the smoother ride. Or maybe because I'm just also riding it a bit harder...
Old 04-15-2010, 08:52 PM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
well, I git my second loaner, and its a 2008 G35 - that thing has amazing pickup! No bogging at all! Takes it off the line like a beast, totally different than my G37 - wtf? Pulls super strong, only feels like it my lose a little wind getting up top. Ahhhh - this is killing me - totally had any number of accidental burnouts tonight, never get burnouts in my G37 lke that. A much more responsive engine and tranny, it would seem - need to get some dynolicious numbers baaaad, so see what's up and all that. SO aggravating.
When I test drove an 08 G35 sedan I was very impressed with the power and acceleration. I figured the 09 G37 with more HP and more gears would be even better. I too agree it's different, not quite the same experience. Still, the features of the 09 over the 08 overshadow the high performance driving differences.

Maybe when you get your car back it'll feel faster to you!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:54 PM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by 15951
If you drive very conservatively, an occasional ECU reset will at least get things back to factory spec.
Is there a proven method to do this in an 09 G37 without opening the hood? I tried the gas pedal pump method about 5 times to no avail. Couldn't get the light on the dash to blink.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:06 PM
G37beijing

I followed the procedure below EXACTLY and was able to do the reset twice without trouble. Timing is critical!

If you print out the procedure and follow it with a watch, I'm quite sure you can do it.

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” (engine not started) and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following two procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds:
(1) Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
(2) Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 seconds.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:15 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've only had a loaner once so far, while my spoiler was being installed. It was a G35 sedan; must have been an '08.

It seriously made me appreciate my own car, though. Funny, when I bought it I wasn't really too concerned about getting the Nav or even premium packages (but I wanted a sunroof which only came with premium). But since I required the 6mt, I was pretty limited. Every dealership only has 1 or 2 of those and they all had Nav & prem. So I got them both.

But after driving the loaner which was the base and had neither I felt completely satisfied with all of my options. I hated not having them all. Didn't like the seats, it seemed a little smaller inside, no bluetooth phone on the steering wheel or iPod adapter, XM, didn't like the 5AT blah blah blah. The car was in good condition though. Wasn't an embarrassment to drive or anything except for maybe the big "Loaner Car" sticker on the rear window. It's funny how the little things make such a huge difference.

One thing I noticed is whenever I mashed the pedal down the tires spun & skidded a bit. They were certainly more worn than mine, but not in need of replacement or anything. Just standard A/S goodyears I think. Made me love the performance of the stock summer Potenzas on my own car.

Aside to Mike: What is adaptive throttle mapping?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:36 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Okay, look, I've been driving the **** out of the G35 and here's my learned, bat-**** G35 driving opinion. VQ35 has a real throttle, and is quicker to respond, and is mapped differently for sure. However, after WOT-ing this thing at like every opportunity, this is what I think: The VQ37 is actually much stronger, especially at higher speeds, and here's why: the VQ35's faster throttle response gives the impression (and actuality) of better resonse off the line, but it is clear to me that the 35 doesn't pull quite as hard at lower speeds, and totally begins to gas out at the top of the rev limit, while the 37 just keeps on pulling hard, all the way to 7600k. AND it became clear that the 37 has a lot more TQ at 80 on the hwy than the 35 does. So all we need is a good tune, problem solved. AND a GD Tranny tune - who will save us with a tranny tune, is the million dollar question.

Believe me, I drove the **** out of this thing in all kinds of weather and speeds, situations. g37 is stronger, much stronger in some areas of the curve for sure, no buts about it. Just gotta stomp it from a stop.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
Aside to Mike: What is adaptive throttle mapping?
The car's throttle mapping changes based on your driving habits. For those with a light foot, the pedal becomes 'more sensitive' so that they don't have to press much for more power. For the speed demons, it becomes 'less sensitive'.

It becomes really apparent when you drive other members' cars. Most loaners feel overly responsive/more powerful because the average loaner isn't driven very hard.

Remember, the forum consists of mostly enthusiasts, even the 'calm' drivers here probably drive harder than most.

@ Ozzy: 07's had a SUPER sensitive throttle, and even had a TSB to make it less sensitive. The throttle mapping has changed over the years to ramp up slower, but yes the VQ37 has a much larger torque band.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:55 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

I've been driving this a lot around town. While the torque up high and in the middle G35's TQ band are great and snappy, the G35 lacks the oomph of the G37, you can totally feel it when going wot to about 110 mph - VQ37 would walk the G35 in my mind by a couple of car lengths. It sure has been fun though as the throttle response is instant-on, makes even more fun to drive in some ways than the G37. It actually inspires you to do burn outs. Ha! Lots of fun. I will sort of miss it..

Last edited by ozzypriest; 04-19-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:12 PM
rehtea

Originally Posted by Mike
The car's throttle mapping changes based on your driving habits. For those with a light foot, the pedal becomes 'more sensitive' so that they don't have to press much for more power. For the speed demons, it becomes 'less sensitive'.
Wouldn't it be just the opposite? For those who gingerly press the gas pedal, the car thinks the driver likes to take it easy, so response is muted a bit, whereas for aggressive drivers who give lots of pedal input, the car responds much more quickly..
Old 04-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rehtea
Wouldn't it be just the opposite? For those who gingerly press the gas pedal, the car thinks the driver likes to take it easy, so response is muted a bit, whereas for aggressive drivers who give lots of pedal input, the car responds much more quickly..
People who step lightly generally will NEVER floor it, even when they should. Thus, pedal sensitivity is increased, so that when they do step on it that extra fraction for what in their mind is a lot more power, it is available. For these people, tip-in is usually decreased.

For the lead foot people, sensitivity is decreased for greater throttle control. Tip-in, however, is increased, the amount the throttle opens after tip-in is what is decreased. Lead foot people want that instant gratification of torque.