G37 Sedan

How come 328 hp feels slow.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:03 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JGutierrez
5.0 for the x AND 5.2 FOR RWD? I thought the x was heavier?
Depends on who did the testing. Car and Driver and Motortrend got 5.0 for the 2009 RWD g37S sedan. For the Xs Motortrend got a 5.4.

But I'd bet if you searched enough you could find some results showing the opposite.

2009 Infiniti G37 S sedan driving impressions and test data - Motor Trend

2009 Infiniti G37x S Sedan - Specs - First Test - Motor Trend
Old 04-04-2010, 07:53 AM
bwhite12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking the opposite of the OP. I feel the car is very quick. Since mine only has 350 miles. I have not been able to get on it fully, but I can tell you it feels really quick. So I agree, that it could be the transmission, has learned, so after you drive it more aggressively it might wake up more.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:43 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The problem is his ECU. He needs to reset it or retrain it for a more aggressive driving style.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:45 AM
motobonsai

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, I should baby it til the recommended 1200 miles.

Then reset the ECU and then go to town.

Thanks all I feel better. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:57 AM
cdso

The G can definitely "feel" slow at times. I think this is a combination of the 7AT and the power band. Coming from an 04 coupe I can definitely say the 3.7L needs to be reved higher to get power down. Personally, I think the combination of the 7AT and the ECU makes for a bad pairing. For those of us who spend gobs of time in traffic during the daily commute, it just makes the car feel slow because it's learning your driving style, which is stop and go in traffic. Then you have to stomp on it on the weekends to get it to relearn. Personally, I'd rather not have a "learning" ECU and a 7At that get you into 6th or 7th gear as soon as possible.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:36 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well the G37x is alot heavier than the G37S. The VQ engines also tend to take a while to break-in. I saw a mag review of a 370Z and they said that it got significantly faster times with 2k miles on the clock than another one they tested earlier with just a few hundred.

If you think 0-60 in 5.4 seconds and the 1/4 mile in the high 13's is "slow" then you should have gotten a Camaro SS or something...
Old 04-04-2010, 09:38 AM
netmag

I've test driven both the CTS (DI) and the G37x as well as G37xS and the G is definitely faster. The CTS didn't even come close to the level of acceleration perceived in the G when you punch it. Of course that's just perception. I don't know the real world numbers but I think the G is supposed to be faster and it definitely feels faster on the road.

For me, it would probably be cheaper to get a CTS because I can get employee pricing on it through a family member. However, I've already got a near-lux crossover through GM and the CTS just feels a bit too familiar. Yes the engine is tuned to produce more power than the one in our SUV but it's still familiar and I want a sports sedan that feels a bit more different. I really like the layout of the interior on the CTS though. It feels nice in there. However, in terms of sporty feel and acceleration the G is superior.

The G certainly feels different to me but I guess it depends on your perspective. I thought it was plenty fast. I wouldn't like it if it was too sluggish from a dead stop though but I didn't notice that during my various test drives. It seemed to go pretty good from a stop, but I'm sure those test cars had been broken in pretty good. I hear the previous G sedan would take off at the drop of a pin so again maybe it's all relative.

Anyway, I want a LUX-sport sedan so I don't really want a vehicle that feels too much like a go-cart. That's why I never really understood people who cross shopped a G with something like a Pontiac G8 or some other car that is mostly just a great engine shoved into a basic sedan shell. I like the balance of the G. It's refined enough without being dead.

That being said though, are a lot of you guys with G37 sedans getting left in the dust from dead stops or when trying to get onto the highway? I mean is there some kind of lag in those situations that you feel is a big problem or is that just the perceptions of a few people?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:19 AM
ttboy

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
If you think 0-60 in 5.4 seconds and the 1/4 mile in the high 13's is "slow" then you should have gotten a Camaro SS or something...
I sometimes regret not getting the Camaro SS too.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:36 AM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cdso
The G can definitely "feel" slow at times. I think this is a combination of the 7AT and the power band. Coming from an 04 coupe I can definitely say the 3.7L needs to be reved higher to get power down. Personally, I think the combination of the 7AT and the ECU makes for a bad pairing. For those of us who spend gobs of time in traffic during the daily commute, it just makes the car feel slow because it's learning your driving style, which is stop and go in traffic. Then you have to stomp on it on the weekends to get it to relearn. Personally, I'd rather not have a "learning" ECU and a 7At that get you into 6th or 7th gear as soon as possible.
I hear ya...in city traffic, the car does feel slow, especially the first two gears. But I'm ok with it because it makes up for it on the upper end. I love this car!
Old 04-04-2010, 11:11 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ttboy
I sometimes regret not getting the Camaro SS too.
So trade in your car and buy a Camaro SS. The G and the Camaro are not in the same class of cars. But if I was going to do that since I'm a Ford guy the 2011 Ford Mustang GT would be my choice.

2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 - Short Take Road Test - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

Last edited by gugarci; 04-04-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:45 AM
cdso

Originally Posted by netmag
I've test driven both the CTS (DI) and the G37x as well as G37xS and the G is definitely faster. The CTS didn't even come close to the level of acceleration perceived in the G when you punch it. Of course that's just perception. I don't know the real world numbers but I think the G is supposed to be faster and it definitely feels faster on the road.

For me, it would probably be cheaper to get a CTS because I can get employee pricing on it through a family member. However, I've already got a near-lux crossover through GM and the CTS just feels a bit too familiar. Yes the engine is tuned to produce more power than the one in our SUV but it's still familiar and I want a sports sedan that feels a bit more different. I really like the layout of the interior on the CTS though. It feels nice in there. However, in terms of sporty feel and acceleration the G is superior.

The G certainly feels different to me but I guess it depends on your perspective. I thought it was plenty fast. I wouldn't like it if it was too sluggish from a dead stop though but I didn't notice that during my various test drives. It seemed to go pretty good from a stop, but I'm sure those test cars had been broken in pretty good. I hear the previous G sedan would take off at the drop of a pin so again maybe it's all relative.

Anyway, I want a LUX-sport sedan so I don't really want a vehicle that feels too much like a go-cart. That's why I never really understood people who cross shopped a G with something like a Pontiac G8 or some other car that is mostly just a great engine shoved into a basic sedan shell. I like the balance of the G. It's refined enough without being dead.

That being said though, are a lot of you guys with G37 sedans getting left in the dust from dead stops or when trying to get onto the highway? I mean is there some kind of lag in those situations that you feel is a big problem or is that just the perceptions of a few people?
The G35 sedan had an overboosted throttle. I remember some guys saying they had a hard time accelerating smoothly from a stop. Infiniti came out with a TSB for it I believe.

I think it's a combination of things. Overall, the G is not a slow car. But, it's a relative thing. Looking at the tq #s for the G, I think it tops out at 4k+ rpms. There's plenty of power there for the G, but you have to rev it to get there. Compare that to a 335i which maxes out at like 1.5k rpms. But, for us 7AT guys, I think it has 1 too many gears and the ECU learning makes for a bad combo when you're not able to push it consistently...ie traffic.

I remember one of the Infiniti commercials for the G compared the powerband to a wave...I think it hit the nail on the head.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:50 AM
cwebbe11

For me the g-37x is fast enough for driving on PUBLIC roads. Sometimes I see a Corvette ZO6 and think, wow that would be cool to have 500hp. But really, where are going to use that level of HP safely? Sure the track, but I'm sure tickets could get pretty expensive if one did 150 in a 75 zone on a regular basis save the possibility of losing your driving license. IMO the reason I choose my g37xs is the balance. Fast, safe, good gas mileage ,when driven correctly, seats four, looks great and can be driven in the snow. Are allot of other cars faster, sure, but I bought the car that was fun to drive every day and the g37 attains that.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:00 PM
JGutierrez

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
Depends on who did the testing. Car and Driver and Motortrend got 5.0 for the 2009 RWD g37S sedan. For the Xs Motortrend got a 5.4.

But I'd bet if you searched enough you could find some results showing the opposite.

2009 Infiniti G37 S sedan driving impressions and test data - Motor Trend

2009 Infiniti G37x S Sedan - Specs - First Test - Motor Trend
Thanks for the info! Yeah I did some searching and plus 0-60 times are always different.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:03 PM
motobonsai

Ok so I did an ecu restart. OMG what a difference. It is so much mor responsive and smooth.

I think when I first started breaking it in I made a lot of unnessary sport shifts cause I waNted to vary the rpms like it says in the manual.

Could that have caused a learning disability in the ecu? Lol

any way it is so much better now. Thank you all.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:27 PM
CAPCO

I came off a CTS DI after owning for a little over a year, the car was so slow and heavy (not to mention the poor quality) that I was shocked for 304hp. I can't tell you how much faster the G is, I would have to put the gas to the floor on the CTS to get the same feeling I get from the G by pressing down not even half way. The CTS was over 4000lbs and the dual pain sunroof weighed around 225lbs. It was like having a 225lb passenger with you at all times (not to mention the sunroof leaked and made noises over every bump and I had an electrical problem where the interior lights would dim for no reason and the drivers seat started coming apart). So anyone out there wishes the went with the CTS, you made the right choice.

Quick Reply: How come 328 hp feels slow.