G37 Sedan

First Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First Oil Change?

i know i mentioned this topic before and just want to make sure i understand. i went to the dealership today to ask about changing my oil because i am about to ship my car across country and i wanted to change it here before i left so i dont have to do it when it comes off the truck. i have almost 2500 miles on my car right now and i have had the car since December 14th. i have had the car a little over 3 months now and was wondering if i should just go ahead and change the oil early for the first time because i was told that the engine eats up more oil the first time because the engine is new and there are also particles and fibers from the engine break in. should i wait for the 3750 mark and wait over 3 months or go ahead and change it a little early? thanks!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:46 PM
cdso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No harm in changing it early. I did my first oil change @ 1200 miles.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
You are fine to do it now. Won't cause any problems.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:56 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
The VQ37VHR does not "eat" more oil when its new. The oil fill from the factory has been in your G since it was manurfactured. As components like piston rings and rod/main bearings wear-in, the oil encapsuates and holds these metallic particles in suspense. This is the rationale behind scheduling that initial oil change a little early.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
To those that brought oil to your dealer, did they give you any funny looks, or were they cool with using it?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

so after i change the oil at 2500 miles when should i change it again?
Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
In another 3750 or so, just as the manual states.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:55 PM
LightsOut

did my first at 1800 and plan on dong the second at 3750, then doing the third at every 5k

switched to syn. motul 8100
Old 03-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

what kind of oil does the dealer use?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 PM
hieuster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it depends on your dealer. my dealer uses valvoline synthetic blend.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:23 PM
kapyt
Registered Member

So, it's time for me to get my first oil change. I contacted my local dealer and inquired about 1st free oil change. Sure enough it offered me one. I then started asking question whether they will use Nissan Ester oil. Here is the response: We can use it if you would like. We have come to know more about the engines and the only G37 needing Ester oil is the coupe.
Since both cars' engines are identical, is the dealership full of it or it's OK to use whatever oil it has? After reading all oil threads here, I'm hesitant to put anything but Ester or Penzoil Ultra... Thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 11:31 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kapyt
So, it's time for me to get my first oil change. I contacted my local dealer and inquired about 1st free oil change. Sure enough it offered me one. I then started asking question whether they will use Nissan Ester oil. Here is the response: We can use it if you would like. We have come to know more about the engines and the only G37 needing Ester oil is the coupe.
Since both cars' engines are identical, is the dealership full of it or it's OK to use whatever oil it has? After reading all oil threads here, I'm hesitant to put anything but Ester or Penzoil Ultra... Thanks
Use a quality synthetic and you should be fine.

I went with Pennzoil Ultra, but after reading the Pennzoil Ultra FAQ on the BITOG website, I'm not sure the Ultra contains esters, or even needs them. "To ester" or "not to ester" has me confused.

I think you need to open this link with Chrome or FireFox or something other than IE because IE won't display the text -

Pennzoil Ultra FAQ

What it says:

14. Has Pennzoil<SUP>®</SUP> incorporated any type of Esters into the base oil blend for Pennzoil Ultra™?

No ester base oils were used or are required in the Pennzoil Ultra™ range.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 AM
kapyt
Registered Member

Interesting find. I guess this is my dilemma as well whether "ester" or "not to ester." I convinced my service manager to use Ester oil this time. He mentioned that in the future the oil change cost would be about $115 using that type of oil versus normal 5W30 non-synthetic oil which would cost about $65. Sounds a bit high for a non-synthetic oil.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:47 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kapyt
Interesting find. I guess this is my dilemma as well whether "ester" or "not to ester." I convinced my service manager to use Ester oil this time. He mentioned that in the future the oil change cost would be about $115 using that type of oil versus normal 5W30 non-synthetic oil which would cost about $65. Sounds a bit high for a non-synthetic oil.
$65 sounds way too much for a bulk-dino 5w30 non-synthetic oil change. I'd go somewhere else if you want that -- considering you can get the exact same thing for less than 30 bucks from pretty much any mechanic. Or even most car dealerships.

The Nissan Ester oil itself is expensive. Up to $11-$12 per quart if you buy it yourself.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:17 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
IMHO the ester based oils are no better than anything else. "ester" has no special meaning to me. Mobil1 or Penzoil Ultra is all I'll use

Originally Posted by efuseakay
To those that brought oil to your dealer, did they give you any funny looks, or were they cool with using it?
The two times I've had the dealer do it, I bring my own oil and they're totally cool with it. The other times I change my own oil.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change?