G37 Sedan

Little things that annoy me about my G

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:20 PM
G37NC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Almatti
It's in the Convenience settings. Scroll down until you see the Auto headlights or such, add or lessen the amount of sensitivity.
I simply cannot find this setting. I've checked, and scrolled down through every menu in the settings button (while in park) and there is no "convenience" setting. I obviously do not have it in my setup but wish I did as my "auto lights" do need some adjustments.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Chico

The car has to be ON for the menu to appear, I think, not sure.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by G37NC
I simply cannot find this setting. I've checked, and scrolled down through every menu in the settings button (while in park) and there is no "convenience" setting. I obviously do not have it in my setup but wish I did as my "auto lights" do need some adjustments.
Of course it may have changed in later models, but if its’ like my ’08 you should press the SETTINGS button and a Comfort & Conv. selection should be the third one down on the right (The ignition must be ON to do this or the Comfort & Conv. selection will be dimmed.).

After selecting it, the Auto Headlights Sensitivity selection should be the second one down. In my owner’s manual this is described on page 4-7.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:57 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chico
The car has to be ON for the menu to appear, I think, not sure.
+1........that is correct.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:03 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chico
You can adjust the sensitivity of the auto headlights in the settings.
The sensitivity settings is BS; it only adjusts the sensitivity to the light source, however it does not delay the lights coming on.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by madmax2k1
The sensitivity settings is BS; it only adjusts the sensitivity to the light source, however it does not delay the lights coming on.
Now I’m not the expert here because I never use the automatic feature. But if you change the setting to be less sensitive to the light source, wouldn’t that delay their coming on?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:21 AM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
Now I’m not the expert here because I never use the automatic feature. But if you change the setting to be less sensitive to the light source, wouldn’t that delay their coming on?
No, I already tried all the settings, reducing the sensitivity will just make the auto-headlight come on when it's darker, but they will still switch on within 3-4 seconds.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:27 PM
G37NC

OK, I found the setting. In the 2010 version it's under settings --> others --> comfort. And it's the second one down.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:33 PM
BLKG37X

I remember looking for a setting that would turn on the headlights/ taillights when you unlock the doors. Couldn't find it. There isn't one right?

I think it looks really nice when you approach the car, push the unlock key and all the lights turn on.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 PM
G37NC

Originally Posted by BLKG37X
I remember looking for a setting that would turn on the headlights/ taillights when you unlock the doors. Couldn't find it. There isn't one right?

I think it looks really nice when you approach the car, push the unlock key and all the lights turn on.
On my 2005 G sedan, that option was in the key FOB itself. I can't remember exactly how it worked but it was something like holding the lock button down for 5 seconds. That would activate/deactivate the beep and lights for the car.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 PM
TitanToo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my 09 G37xS for over a year now. I have a long list of irritants for poor design:

1. Key fob, that is supposed to stay in your pocket, that lanuches the alarm (or pops the trunk) when you shift your legs.
2. iPOD interface that doesn't charge the iPOD
3. Cramped quarters of the centre console box for iPOD, and cell phone charger, etc.
4. Same centre console, when the clasp break, breaks "open" not "closed". Wildly annoying. The console is too small (see 3), so it was too easy to break it when trying to close it. It also took my dealership, the only one in town, over 10 days to get a replacement part... <sigh>
5. Can't navigate the iPOD when car is moving. You can see the directory, but can't navigate into directories to play songs. No indication that this is "by design" (for safety)... it just seems like your link to the iPOD is screwed up. Terrible user interface.
6. Awful voice recognition.
7. No way to shortcut through the voice recognition menus. "Phonebook" <pause> "Name" pause "Dial" pause. Of course, it never picks up "Dial" (see 6) so I press the enter button on the steering wheel. But really, it should allow you to "buffer" voice commands rather than waiting eternally.
8. Bluetooth fails for no reason at all periodically. I've had to delete the association to fix it... and that means the directory I painstakingly programmed gets wiped out.
9. Get a new phone, get to enter the directory... again... (see 8).
10. Disconnect the battery for service, get to enter the directory... again.. (see 8).
11. When the Power Distribution Unit (whatever that is) fails, the car alarms telling you that the car is in gear (when it isn't). And the only way to shut off the alarm is to disconnect the battery (see 8). Oh, and the car won't lock unless you do it manually.
12. Placement of the open/close buttons for the side windows always has me opening/closing the back windows instead of the driver window. They're just badly placed.
13. Built in garage door opener... the buttons aren't lit up, so you can't see them at night. The regular driver has no problem, but an occasional driver can easily get confounded.
14. Why is the unlock button not lit up on the drivers side door?
15. Trunk release button is prone to freezing shut
16. Headlight design makes my expensive xenon headlamps useless when roads are wet and dirty. Headlight cleaners should be mandatory on this car.. during winter, my visibility stinks. I have to clean the headlamps daily to have any luck, and even then it won't last long.
17. Backup cam lens gets dirty immediately in the same circumstances as described in 16.
18. Door design makes it easy to back your shin on the door edge when getting in and out of the vehicle.
19. My doors don't want to swing open and stay open. They want to bounce closed.
20. Charger in centre console shuts off when car is turned off. Given the iPOD interface doesn't charge when the iPOD is connected, how do I ever keep my iPOD powered without a huge nuisance?

I'm sure I can come up with more. Especially around the user interface to the brutal tech package. And it doesn't even cover my gripes about my experiences with warranty service.

All in all, I lament the loss of the BMW I used to drive.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:50 AM
roots4x

Originally Posted by TitanToo
I've had my 09 G37xS for over a year now. I have a long list of irritants for poor design:

1. Key fob, that is supposed to stay in your pocket, that lanuches the alarm (or pops the trunk) when you shift your legs.
2. iPOD interface that doesn't charge the iPOD
3. Cramped quarters of the centre console box for iPOD, and cell phone charger, etc.
4. Same centre console, when the clasp break, breaks "open" not "closed". Wildly annoying. The console is too small (see 3), so it was too easy to break it when trying to close it. It also took my dealership, the only one in town, over 10 days to get a replacement part... <sigh>
5. Can't navigate the iPOD when car is moving. You can see the directory, but can't navigate into directories to play songs. No indication that this is "by design" (for safety)... it just seems like your link to the iPOD is screwed up. Terrible user interface.
6. Awful voice recognition.
7. No way to shortcut through the voice recognition menus. "Phonebook"
"Name" pause "Dial" pause. Of course, it never picks up "Dial" (see 6) so I press the enter button on the steering wheel. But really, it should allow you to "buffer" voice commands rather than waiting eternally.
8. Bluetooth fails for no reason at all periodically. I've had to delete the association to fix it... and that means the directory I painstakingly programmed gets wiped out.
9. Get a new phone, get to enter the directory... again... (see 8).
10. Disconnect the battery for service, get to enter the directory... again.. (see 8).
11. When the Power Distribution Unit (whatever that is) fails, the car alarms telling you that the car is in gear (when it isn't). And the only way to shut off the alarm is to disconnect the battery (see 8). Oh, and the car won't lock unless you do it manually.
12. Placement of the open/close buttons for the side windows always has me opening/closing the back windows instead of the driver window. They're just badly placed.
13. Built in garage door opener... the buttons aren't lit up, so you can't see them at night. The regular driver has no problem, but an occasional driver can easily get confounded.
14. Why is the unlock button not lit up on the drivers side door?
15. Trunk release button is prone to freezing shut
16. Headlight design makes my expensive xenon headlamps useless when roads are wet and dirty. Headlight cleaners should be mandatory on this car.. during winter, my visibility stinks. I have to clean the headlamps daily to have any luck, and even then it won't last long.
17. Backup cam lens gets dirty immediately in the same circumstances as described in 16.
18. Door design makes it easy to back your shin on the door edge when getting in and out of the vehicle.
19. My doors don't want to swing open and stay open. They want to bounce closed.
20. Charger in centre console shuts off when car is turned off. Given the iPOD interface doesn't charge when the iPOD is connected, how do I ever keep my iPOD powered without a huge nuisance?

I'm sure I can come up with more. Especially around the user interface to the brutal tech package. And it doesn't even cover my gripes about my experiences with warranty service.

All in all, I lament the loss of the BMW I used to drive.
Well the extra 5-10k for a comparable BMW should clue you in on the difference in polish that makes up for at least part of the cost.

The grass always does seem greener on the other side, though.

</pause></sigh>
Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 AM
roots4x

Some things that annoy me:

1) Pressing intelligent door lock button does not work if doors are open elsewhere and are closed after the fact. Maybe disabled for a reason, but it's annoying when I almost exclusively use the door handle buttons.

2) Gauge cluster plastic surround seems pretty cheap.

3) No fold-down seats.

4) Mostly vinyl seats (I know, it would drive up costs but it's still a little annoying).

5) XM Navtraffic is only free for one year (just the traffic portion should be lifetime, IMO)

The thing that annoys me the most right are the general quality of the seat upholstery. I really am a fan of vinyl materials, but the fit, finish, and quality of the G seats is pretty cheesy. Check out the vinyl in MB C-class... they are better than a lot of Japanese leather.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 AM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by G37NC
On my 2005 G sedan, that option was in the key FOB itself. I can't remember exactly how it worked but it was something like holding the lock button down for 5 seconds. That would activate/deactivate the beep and lights for the car.
I tried holding down the lock button, it didn't work
Old 01-10-2011, 11:07 AM
1BadAssG

Originally Posted by BLKG37X
I tried holding down the lock button, it didn't work
That options is in the comfort section of the settings. On my 06 Armada I can set it up from.the setting menu and of my G it was already ON when I got the car so really didn't hunt for it besides I never use the keyfob, I pretty much always use the door handle button. Makes me feel good about the car

Quick Reply: Little things that annoy me about my G