G37 Sedan

RWD vs AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:32 PM
CuddysG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RWD vs AWD

Getting ready to buy my '10 G37 but deciding if I want the AWD or RWD. I'm loading it up with just about everything (Nav, Prem, Sport, extra options, etc) and trying to weight the pros and cons of the two.

Net, the price difference is about $500 extra for the AWD, but I lose sport suspension, brakes, and steering and the high-friction brake option for a car thats heavier, stops longer, and turns heavier than a RWD. I live in Florida, RWDs are common stock at the dealers here, but I am military so I could move anywhere. I'd just like to hear some opinions of other RWD/AWD owners, suggestions, and comments.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:38 PM
cdso

I have the awd and have no complaints about it's performance. However, I bought the awd to get around in the snow. If I lived somewhere where there wasn't regular snow, I would definitely get the rwd version.

If you feel like you could be reassigned somewhere where it's snows regularly, then I would go awd. It's not a huge reduction in performance.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:28 PM
DEC1

agreed with CDSO...but as he and I have commiserated....performance mods are slow to come on AWD...we're currently waiting for some AWD specific drop kit (spring or coilover) and exhaust to replace stock...and always concern about tire and wheel upgrades that won't mess up AWD system.
From a performance pov...someone on here posted a magazine test that confirmed that AWD is actually faster than RWD...because of AWD grip on take off and compensation in turns that allows AWD to maintain grip and accelerate through turns...even considering a little extra weight that amounts to little more than having a passenger aboard.
Bottom line is this thing is just plain fast in any config...
Old 03-10-2010, 08:14 PM
SindhiStyle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree with both of the people above. I have a 2009 G37xS which I think performs very well, BUT if I did not live in Michigan I would have def gotten a G37S. No need for AWD in Florida, but if you do think you might be moving to somewhere it snows often while owning this vehicle, I would def get the AWD.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:14 PM
britishmutt

I test drove both AWD and RWD and, at least for every day driving in dry conditions, I didn't notice any appreciable difference in performance. I ended up going for the AWD because I do go up to Tahoe pretty often and it would be nice to take a G sometimes rather than the gf's Subaru.

The lack of performance mods does suck some, but there's more chance of seeing aftermarket brakes/springs/wheels coming soon than aftermarket AWD systems
Old 03-10-2010, 10:09 PM
beerme986

rwd, I live in the northeast and I just put blizzaks on for winter. you loose so much in the sport package with awd its not even worth it.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:28 PM
mayday813

I live in Iowa....we've had lot's snow this year....2009 G37 Journey Premium RWD. Put 4 Michlien Primacy snow tires on it...no problem. Drove both the AWD and RWD and I could tell the 200 pound difference which feels like it's all in the front end with the AWD. The RWD handles Great! Note that with the G37S RWD it may be a challenge to find rims/snow tire combination since the bigger Brembo brakes may create an interference problem. Just something to check before you pull the trigger.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:46 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mayday813
I live in Iowa....we've had lot's snow this year....2009 G37 Journey Premium RWD. Put 4 Michlien Primacy snow tires on it...no problem. Drove both the AWD and RWD and I could tell the 200 pound difference which feels like it's all in the front end with the AWD. The RWD handles Great! Note that with the G37S RWD it may be a challenge to find rims/snow tire combination since the bigger Brembo brakes may create an interference problem. Just something to check before you pull the trigger.
They haven't been using Brembos for several years, but they still are larger brakes. I've found quite a few blizzaks and rim combinations at tirerack that will fit over the brakes. Has to be 18" or greater.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:45 AM
esfoad

I live in NJ. It's almost impossible to find a rear wheel drive car here with the options I want without ordering a car. But I agree, a rear wheel drive car with snow tires will perform wonderfully in snow. So you save on a set of snows with AWD but if that ultimate performance is your thing, then go RWD. Otherwise AWD is still a fabulous car that will run circles around most everything else on the road.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:28 AM
dopey
Registered Member

I owned a '07 G35S for just over 3 years in minnesota winters and with snow tires, it was quite nice. You have to get used to a certain amount of fishtailing in the snow and icy conditions, but it does quite well with snow tires. I traded in for a 2010 G37xS and the performance difference is really not that noticeable especially on regular commutes. I've never been to the track, but I'm sure that there would be a difference in behavior between the awd and rwd, but looking at the numbers and reviews, the differences are tiny.

I'm not disappointed that I switched to AWD, but at the same time, I had no real problems with the RWD.

This last winter was a little trickier, but my snow tires are down to below 50% tread life so that was a big factor. Snow tires work better with >50% tread life.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Alex57r

You asked for opinions, so here is mine:

I have a fully loaded G37XS, it performs very well except understeer in high speed turns. If I lived in FLorida, i would DEFINITELY get a RWD. In fact if i could get a RWD when I was looking for my car, would even get a RWD here in NY (no such luck).

By the numbers, RWD and AWD cars are comparable. In fact, 0-60 times in all reality are about the same due to traction. On the other hand, how the car feels with 200+lbs of extra weight and a different steering gear + softer suspension and all season tires you can probably immagine.

If you MIGHT move elsewhere, then you MIGHT have to get snow tires, or you MIGHT need a hummer... Until then, you will have a lighter car that is more fun to drive. Get my drift? If you have to move up north, I will trade you for mine

If I were you, I would only get the AWD if it is VERY likely to look like this:
Old 03-11-2010, 12:42 PM
stratos

I wanted the MT so my choice was made for me. We had a pretty good winter so far here in NJ and the winter tires performed very well even though 18" wheels are not ideal for this.
I can't wait to put my summer tires back on though. I miss that 'planted' feeling on high speed turns :P
Old 03-11-2010, 05:50 PM
CuddysG37

I just wanted to thank everyone who's posted so far, I do appreciate the input. I still got a couple weeks left in the month and the jury's still out on the RWD vs AWD case. Anyone else who has something to add I'd appreciate their input.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Reno-ID-Doc

Depends what zip code fate brings you to. If this happens, you'll need all the AWD/4WD you can muster up. (See photo attached).
Attached Thumbnails RWD vs AWD-cimg2237.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 02:03 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by SindhiStyle
I have to agree with both of the people above. I have a 2009 G37xS which I think performs very well, BUT if I did not live in Michigan I would have def gotten a G37S. No need for AWD in Florida, but if you do think you might be moving to somewhere it snows often while owning this vehicle, I would def get the AWD.
Hey Sindhistyle, nice to see another Desi on the boards. I'm a Mallu (South Indian) in Sterling Heights. Keep your eyes open for any G meets/cruises we may have come spring/summer!

Quick Reply: RWD vs AWD