G37 Sedan

adjusting ur mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:46 AM
ged1067

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adjusting ur mirrors

As a service to all my new found friends on this forum, I give you a very valuable tip taken from Car and Driver:

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

Tried it myself and it works beautifully.

Good driving fellas,

GED
Old 03-03-2010, 12:02 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried it too, it felt weird initially but it gives you better all around visibility.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:26 PM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my mirrors have always been adjusted that way... main reason was for cops.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
learned this years ago while learning to track cars.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:32 PM
pkhoopes

The correct way to adjust outside mirors is as follows (while seated in the driver seat):

To adjust the driver side mirror, lean your body to the left until the left side of your face is almost touching the window glass. Now, adjust the mirror until you can just BARELY see the side of the car in the inside edge of the mirror. Done.

To adjust the passenger side mirror, lean your body to the right until your head is on the center line of the car...basically directly in front of the rear view mirror. Now, adjust the mirror until you can just barely see the right side of the car in the inside edge of the mirror. Done.

In most cases, both mirrors will probably be as far out as they can go in order to achieve this.

When properly adjusted, as a car in the next lane over (right or left) comes up from behind, you will first see it in the rearview mirror. As it gets closer, you will see it in both the rearview and the side mirrors. Closer still, it disappears from the rearview, and can only be seen in the side mirror. As it starts to come alongside of you (in the blind spot), it will gradually disappear from the side mirror, and when almost completely gone, you should then be able to see the front of the car in your peripheral vision out the side window.

I am driving an '09 Journey sedan and have found that I CAN NOT get the mirrors angled out enough to completely cover the blind spot. Even when they are as far out as they can go, I can still see too much of the side of the car. I even had my dealer check them, and they said that's as far out as they go. I consider this a safety issue. I think that the mirror housing should have been designed to angle out a little further than it does, and/or have the mirror itself able to travel further out within the housing.

I have found that when an approaching car is pulling alongside and has disappeared from view in the side mirror, it is still far enough back that I can't see the front of the car out the side window. Needless to say, as a result of this problem, I always check over my shoulder. Infiniti really should address this.

Cheers

Last edited by pkhoopes; 03-04-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 AM
ged1067

I also reached the limit of the mirror adjustment. Works out the same.

GED
Old 03-04-2010, 11:58 AM
ultraD

mirrors

I always adjust my mirrors in this way. I have a g-37x (for about 4 months now) Although I am not on the highways more than once a week, I have not been able to adjust the side mirrors enough to eliminate the blind spot. I always look over the shoulder anyway, but I find this to be my biggest concern with the car so much so that I am suprised I do not see this addressed more often in this type of forum.

I guess I will get used to it, but I find myself checking several times over the shoulder before changing lanes especially at night.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-04-2010, 01:10 PM
4wheelkillr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny thing..i've done the same thing myself for years.
I don't quite go to the far extreme of leaning left and right. I basically adjust mine outward enought that I can't see the side of my car. That way when I turn my head, especially to look out the ride side mirror I can usually see the front half of the car in my periperal and the back half of the car in the mirror. So if the other car is further back in the blindspot I can usually see the whole car.

My wife always adjusts the mirros so that she can see the door handles on either side and that bugs the hell outta me! She says it's for reference of her vehicle to the other vehicles. I say you KNOW where your vehicle is because you're sitting in it! You just need to worry about the other vehicles! UGH!

Good thing the G has 2 memory positions for the mirrors/seats etc.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:48 PM
G35 Stickman

Yeah I have been doing the same for years! I started doing it because I felt I could see more of the blind spot and now I guess I was right all along! Good find for those who aren't doing it already!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Texasdoc

Originally Posted by pkhoopes
I am driving an '09 Journey sedan and have found that I CAN NOT get the mirrors angled out enough to completely cover the blind spot. Even when they are as far out as they can go, I can still see too much of the side of the car.
This is the most ANNOYING aspect of this car!

I came here hoping someone would have found a fix. Anyone???
Old 04-27-2010, 01:12 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still check over my shoulder even with my mirrors adjusted this way.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:13 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I still prefer to see just a bit of my car in the side mirrors... gives me an idea of depth/distance, etc.

I have no problem looking over my shoulder.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:43 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I still check over my shoulder even with my mirrors adjusted this way.
As you probably should. I recently started adjusting my mirrors this way and found that although minimized, there still is a blind spot large enough for a mid-sized car to fit in. Just out of range of the left mirror, and somewhat behind your front door so you wouldn't see it without turning your head back at least slightly. But it seems to be to be about as safe as it can be. A larger pickup truck would always be viewable either in your mirror or in your peripheral vision. And a small car generally would only stay in this blind spot for about a second, unless it's matching your speed.

On the right hand (passenger) side it seems there's no blind spot at all this way -- mostly because you already have to turn your head to see that mirror.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:18 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
One of the first things I did was set the mirrors, on the 50 mile ride home from the dealership. I couldn't get rid of the blind spot.
I ran in the slow lane on the Interstate and checked the mirrors as cars went by, thinking I could tweak the mirror setting enough to eliminate the blind spot, no luck.
Years ago I had read about leaning your face against the driver's side window when adjusting that sides mirror. I have used that method on quite a few cars, with no problem. On the G I had to give up and add a small spot mirror.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:31 PM
freesurfer
Registered Member

This has been a problem since my 90's Nissan, so it's not new. Although some report not having the problem with other makes. I always have the mirrors maxxed out away from the car, and it's still not enough. The problem for me is that I have the seat maxxed all the way back in it's tracks. If not, I wouldn't have the problem, but I can't drive without the needed legroom. Solution? IDK. I'm going to see if the left mirror can be modified to have a washer inserted to increase the outside angle. If I find any success I'm definately report back. Until them, check the mirrors AND look back over your shoulder. Protect your G from dents or worse.

Originally Posted by movinon
I couldn't get rid of the blind spot.
Originally Posted by pkhoopes
I am driving an '09 Journey sedan and have found that I CAN NOT get the mirrors angled out enough to completely cover the blind spot. Cheers
Originally Posted by ged1067
I also reached the limit of the mirror adjustment. GED
Originally Posted by ultraD
I have not been able to adjust the side mirrors enough to eliminate the blind spot. I find this to be my biggest concern with the car so much so that I am suprised I do not see this addressed more often in this type of forum.

Quick Reply: adjusting ur mirrors