G37 Sedan

What is the factory fill (oil)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:29 AM
YO-EL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the factory fill (oil)?

Curious to know what our cars are being shipped with..
Anyone know for sure, no speculation?
Old 02-27-2010, 10:56 AM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YO-EL, Nissan Ester has been the FF since it was introduced
Mid-Model year 08. Reference "Nissan White Papers."
Old 02-27-2010, 11:11 AM
YO-EL

Thanks bro..
Just reading some threads & the ester oil debate stuff..

It IS in the owners manual as recommended by Nissan..

Guess thats whats gonna go in it..

Appreciate it..
Old 02-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Redfox

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Original Factory Oil Upon Delivery

My dealer is Garcia Infiniti in Albquerque, NM. I asked the service manager what type of oil was in the new cars they receive. According to him it is regular dino 5w-30. Ester oil is available for those whose choose. In his opinion there was no need for the ester oil - some owners just prefer it. Costs much more though. Most of his customers use regular 5w-30. I use regular dino oil and my engine purrs.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:34 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yea, i highly doubt Nissan/Infiniti uses Ester oil for factory fill, it'll cost them too much money....i think it's just regular oil....

i don't know if this is the same for Nissan, but I know for a fact that Toyota and Honda both uses something called "engine break-in oil" which is some special blend just for the first few thousand miles until ur first service....but that oil isn't recommended for long term use either....
Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 PM
cdso

Agreed. If Nissan ester is the factory fill, why do I still get valve noise at startup? The engine seems to run fine with reg 5w-30, but the valve noise at startup is annoying.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:40 AM
lokitiw

I spent about an hour with a NAPA rep about ester oil and he did not believe Infiniti called for it as it is used in refrig. systems. I showed him the manual that calls fo ester oil. He has a close friend (tech) at Nissen, and called him about it. He was told that Infiniti calls it ester to get people in and charge a bunch,however it is in reality a good syn. oil such as Mobile 1, and that is what they use unless you insist on using ester and they can charge more. Another kind of ripoff. Go figure
Old 02-28-2010, 01:02 AM
SindhiStyle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know how accurate this is. There have been several people on this forum that have used the ester oil due to valve noise. They said they have tried synthetics and yet still get the valve noise until they use Ester. I personally am using regular oil still. Knock on wood, so far no problems.

Originally Posted by lokitiw
I spent about an hour with a NAPA rep about ester oil and he did not believe Infiniti called for it as it is used in refrig. systems. I showed him the manual that calls fo ester oil. He has a close friend (tech) at Nissen, and called him about it. He was told that Infiniti calls it ester to get people in and charge a bunch,however it is in reality a good syn. oil such as Mobile 1, and that is what they use unless you insist on using ester and they can charge more. Another kind of ripoff. Go figure
Old 02-28-2010, 07:54 AM
YO-EL

Originally Posted by cdso
Agreed. If Nissan ester is the factory fill, why do I still get valve noise at startup? The engine seems to run fine with reg 5w-30, but the valve noise at startup is annoying.
Could just be cold lifter tick until the lifters bring up the oil..
Go to LS1Tech.com, search lifter tick...
Good reads..
Old 02-28-2010, 01:13 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gtracing
i don't know if this is the same for Nissan, but I know for a fact that Toyota and Honda both uses something called "engine break-in oil" which is some special blend just for the first few thousand miles until ur first service....but that oil isn't recommended for long term use either....
The owner's manual says the car is factory filled with a "high quality oil" and there is no need to change the oil before the first scheduled maintenance. If this break-in oil doesn't last as long as other oils, then probably not.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:18 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JonfromCB
YO-EL, Nissan Ester has been the FF since it was introduced
Mid-Model year 08. Reference "Nissan White Papers."
Do you know if those White Papers are available on the Internet or is there a link to this? It would be great to have a definitive link to answer this.

The dealership is not necessarily a reliable source for this, since the oil is added at the factory -- they might not have that information.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:26 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gtracing
Yep... I had a Honda Pilot before my G and from what I can recall, they "strongly" recommended leaving the factory oil in there for 7,500 miles - even if you drove in the "harsh" environment.

I think I left it in there for about 6,000 before first change, and ran standard Castrol 5W-20 in it (the recommended oil) for 80,000 total miles. Never had an engine problem and it ran like a top.

Last edited by TinsleyC; 02-28-2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-01-2010, 12:12 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lokitiw
That's not true. There's a GD patent out there that anybody can access and read, and view the abstract and clearly see the oil composition and reasoning behind the creation of the Nissan oil. See this thread at bobistheoilguy
Nissan Ester oil in European patent application - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Was this NAPA guy aware of this thing called the internet? Was he wearing a beeper and a members-only jacket?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:45 AM
lokitiw

I could not see were he was on the internet as I was on the outside of the counter,although that is when he said he found nothing relating to the G using ester oil, and called his friend at Nissan. It does not look like the patent was approved. But that does not mean they don't use it.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:59 AM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
The owner's manual says the car is factory filled with a "high quality oil" and there is no need to change the oil before the first scheduled maintenance. If this break-in oil doesn't last as long as other oils, then probably not.
The break-in oil IS a high quality oil (i think it's a very thin synthetic oil...maybe a 0w40 race oil or something) that's why it doesn't last as long as conventional motor oil....it'll still last you 5000-7000km's (or until ur first service), but i don't think it'll last any longer than those numbers...(some people try to push it and use oil for up to 10,000km's to save money)...

Quick Reply: What is the factory fill (oil)?