G37 Sedan

What is the factory fill (oil)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:51 PM
cdso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If ester is the factory fill, and it's supposed to reduce valve friction, then why do I get so much valve noise at start-up? Cause from what I understand, ester is supposed to bond to metal...which in theory should quiet the value noise at start up? Does that make sense?

When I get my first oil change, I think I'm going to try the Pennzoil ester to see how that does.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:53 PM
YO-EL

I called the service dept of Infiniti of Willow Grove PA, and they said Ester was factory fill, but you didn't "need" to use it on an oil change.

They DID recommend using Ester oil every 3rd oil change as the Ester lubricant stays on the internal components for a while..
Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
SindhiStyle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats def some BS, thats just so the dealership gets some extra money in case you decide not to use Ester. Regular oil is fine, especially if you change it ever 3500 miles, as long as you are not getting valve noise.

Originally Posted by YO-EL

They DID recommend using Ester oil every 3rd oil change as the Ester lubricant stays on the internal components for a while..
Old 03-04-2010, 10:26 PM
cwebbe11

Originally Posted by cdso
If ester is the factory fill, and it's supposed to reduce valve friction, then why do I get so much valve noise at start-up? Cause from what I understand, ester is supposed to bond to metal...which in theory should quiet the value noise at start up? Does that make sense?

When I get my first oil change, I think I'm going to try the Pennzoil ester to see how that does.
Had the same valve ticking noise during cold start. Changed oil with Red Line and now ticking sound is gone. I don't know whether its just Red Line oil or if all Class V oils will improve valve noise reduction, but in my case it worked.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:39 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red Line is an ester oil, from what I understand. Or at least it has a significant ester content or something like that. I've read several other posters say the same thing about Red Line helping with the ticking noise.

I've been using the Nissan Ester so far, but I'm hoping to hear more about the new Pennzoil Ultra, which is also supposed to be an ester oil but way less expensive than the Nissan brand.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:26 AM
lokitiw

If mileage was a main concern,why not use 0w30 syn oil.It would absolutly give better mileage. I used it in my 07 SRT jeep. it also 11 to 1 compression, with 420 HP. Just a thought.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:25 AM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
JonfromCB, I'm not doubting you here, but I've read all of those things you mentioned and searched the web and have not been able to find anything that says anything about what the factory oil is in the G37. I asked you this earlier in the thread: do you have a link to a reliable source that answers this?
Shadoman, This should get you started:
NISSAN | TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES | Library

All the bits and pieces of who, what, why, and how Nissan
developed their oil is here or in their white papers except
the proprietory information, who makes it for them and
the patent application information.

If you just have to see the words (Nissan Ester is
our factory fill".....you won't find it, but you will
quickly figure out it's what they deveolped and use.

If you want to hear which engines it's the factory
fill in, just call Nicaan Consumer Affairs at
800-662-6200 and ask to speak to a rep'
for engine lubrication or emission control
systems.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:37 AM
JonfromCB

Originally Posted by juicybusa
20% reduction as compared to what???????
Juicy, as compared to "other oils" that don't contain the
Nissan proprietory friction modifiers. If you think they
are going to name oils they compared, "ain't gonna happen"
for two reasons: 1. Nissan was publishing findings
on their technology and not writing an article to
compare oil brands. 2. A huge auto maker who buys
every kind of lubricant we can imagine from probably
every major lubricant manufacturer in the world
isn't going to "name names" and **** any of them
off and ruin any present or future business with
them. Nissan merely presents what it is, how
it works and what it's oil does that no other
product does in it's engines...take it or leave it.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:41 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
If you just have to see the words (Nissan Ester is
our factory fill".....you won't find it, but you will
quickly figure out it's what they deveolped and use.
Okay, sorry, that's what I thought you were implying was there. I've seen the articles at the link you posted before, plus the article I posted above, about the DLC coating which, according to nissan, is supposed to be combined with an oil additive to achieve its purpose. I agree that one would assume, or at least hope, after reading that that they used the Nissan Oil at the factory.

FWIW I did send an email regarding this a few days ago via Infiniti's website where you could ask a technical question. They wrote back today, in so many words, that they didn't know and weren't going to find out.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:06 PM
JonfromCB

Okay, sorry, that's what I thought you were implying was there. I've seen the articles at the link you posted before, plus the article I posted above, about the DLC coating which, according to nissan, is supposed to be combined with an oil additive to achieve its purpose. I agree that one would assume, or at least hope, after reading that that they used the Nissan Oil at the factory.

FWIW I did send an email regarding this a few days ago via Infiniti's website where you could ask a technical question. They wrote back today, in so many words, that they didn't know and weren't going to find out.
Shadowman, Infiniti's attitude you describe disappoints me and
I guess I'm not suprised....sounds like the customer service
folks at corporate have been getting "customer service training"
from their dealerships....haha but seriously, give them a call
in Tennessee at the number I gave you. They actually put
a real engineer on the phone with me, answered my questions
and thanked me for providing a constructive complaint that
they could use.....they obviously haven't used it!
Old 03-05-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If Nissan is this vague or noncommunicative, it's reasonable to assume they're putting regular bulk oil in at the factory and just holding owners to a higher "recommended" standard with the ester oil. If they were using a more expensive oil from the factory, you can be sure they'd be bragging about it.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:22 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by 15951
If Nissan is this vague or noncommunicative, it's reasonable to assume they're putting regular bulk oil in at the factory and just holding owners to a higher "recommended" standard with the ester oil. If they were using a more expensive oil from the factory, you can be sure they'd be bragging about it.
Well, I more got the impression that the person answering emails didn't know and didn't think it was so important that it required research. It probably isn't; I'm not writing a magazine article or anything.

I submitted the question via the infinitiusa website -- there is a form where you can ask questions and one of the selections is for technical questions so I assumed they'd have that kind of information. But the person who answered identified herself as a Consumer Relations Representative.

This was the exact wording:
Thank you for taking the time to contact Infiniti and share your valuable insight with us.

In regards to your inquiry regarding the oil used at the time of manufacturing, I apologize that the information you are seeking is not available. Unfortunately at this time Infiniti is not in the position to move forward with your request. I apologize a more favorable response could not be given.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:23 PM
YO-EL

In regards to your inquiry regarding the oil used at the time of manufacturing, I apologize that the information you are seeking is not available. Unfortunately at this time Infiniti is not in the position to move forward with your request. I apologize a more favorable response could not be given.

Thats is the biggest crock of crap I ever heard!
I have friends at a Nissan dealer & also at Infiniti where I got my wife's car..
I'm making some calls.. There's got to be an underwriter, or territory supervisor with factory knowledge as to whats used..
Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 PM
juicybusa

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
Juicy, as compared to "other oils" that don't contain the
Nissan proprietory friction modifiers. If you think they
are going to name oils they compared, "ain't gonna happen"
for two reasons: 1. Nissan was publishing findings
on their technology and not writing an article to
compare oil brands. 2. A huge auto maker who buys
every kind of lubricant we can imagine from probably
every major lubricant manufacturer in the world
isn't going to "name names" and **** any of them
off and ruin any present or future business with
them. Nissan merely presents what it is, how
it works and what it's oil does that no other
product does in it's engines...take it or leave it.

I suspect oils other than the nissan ester have a coefficient of friction that varies substantially. A general statement that nissan ester reduces friction 20% is at least in my mind less than credible and at worst a farce. Reading the nissan tech site you pointed to states the "diamond" like coating reduces friction 40%. So just a couple of more improvements and this thing will actually start producing energy!!!!!!! LOL I wonder about the coating friction reduction claim. Am I incorrect that metal to metal contact is never "supposed" to occur and the moving metal parts ride on a thin coating of oil. How does the coating on the metal in this application reduce friction if the oil prevents metal to metal contact anyway?

Last edited by juicybusa; 03-05-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:58 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by juicybusa
I suspect oils other than the nissan ester have a coefficient of friction that varies substantially. A general statement that nissan ester reduces friction 20% is at least in my mind less than credible and at worst a farce. Reading the nissan tech site you pointed to states the "diamond" like coating reduces friction 40%. So just a couple of more improvements and this thing will actually start producing energy!!!!!!! LOL I wonder about the coating friction reduction claim. Am I incorrect that metal to metal contact is never "supposed" to occur and the moving metal parts ride on a thin coating of oil. How does the coating on the metal in this application reduce friction if the oil prevents metal to metal contact anyway?
Their exact words are:
Use of a hydrogen-free DLC coating improves binding with the engine oil and results in the formation of a firm ultra-low friction film when special oil additives are added.
NISSAN | Ultra-low Friction Diamond-like Carbon (DLC)

I don't think that necessarily means some other oils wont do the same things. There are probably other alternatives with the same additives (esters, perhaps?) that will yield the same result. The problem for us consumers is they're not sharing enough information to make an informed decision about what oil to buy -- other than their own. Which happens to cost around 12 bucks a quart.

Quick Reply: What is the factory fill (oil)?