G37 Sedan

What is the factory fill (oil)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 AM
lokitiw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anyone is interested I found this page on Mobil 1, I know there is partiality in this but it would be for any oil Co. Ester Oil and Nissan Engines
It can't hurt to have more info.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:17 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
Was this NAPA guy aware of this thing called the internet? Was he wearing a beeper and a members-only jacket?
lol. I blame Nissan/Infiniti for all this confusion about the Ester oil. They did a poor job training their dealerships about the need for Ester oil and made it worse by not releasing its formula to other oil manufacturers.

They also did a ****-poor job with the self-healing clear-coat offered on the 09 G37 since no body shop could buy this clearcoat. I think they discontinued it on the 2010 model.

Last edited by madmax2k1; 03-01-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:22 PM
lokitiw

yes they did, my 2010 does not have that self healing paint.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:55 PM
cdso

Is the fact that they discontinued the self healing paint more a reflection that it really didn't do much to blend light scratches?? I haven't seen any testing or data on the self healing paint.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Our 09 had a bad incident, I ran it through one of those "scratch machines". One of those POS swirling brush car washes and needless to say it scratched the *hit out of our G. I let it set in the sun for a couple afternoons and indeed the scratches faded and are about 90% better than they were intially. I still hate how chip-happy the paint is though, our 5 month old G has plenty of hood chips so compared to our 07 it's still the same crap paint although I am sold on the self-healing aspects.
Anyone know why the 2010s don't have it?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:55 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gtracing
The break-in oil IS a high quality oil (i think it's a very thin synthetic oil...maybe a 0w40 race oil or something) that's why it doesn't last as long as conventional motor oil....it'll still last you 5000-7000km's (or until ur first service), but i don't think it'll last any longer than those numbers...(some people try to push it and use oil for up to 10,000km's to save money)...
Okay, I see...so that doesn't necessarily rule it out. But still there's nothing to indicate that Nissan/Infiniti is using a break-in oil -- at least with the VQ37VHR. Really all we have is speculation; exactly what the OP didn't want .

I've seen people claim on this forum and several others that they started using the Nissan Ester Oil as the factory fill for the VQ37VHR sometime in mid 2008 after the VVEL tick issue first arose. Same as when the recommendation was added to the manual. But again, I haven't seen any definitive evidence of that.

This article also goes into detail about the ester oil and why it was developed specifically for this engine. I'm sure many of you have seen it before, but perhaps some haven't, so I'll post the link here.
Revenge of the Nerd - Nissan in the sump with diamonds?

I'd like to know for sure what the factory fill is too. I just did my first oil change and sent the factory oil for a UOA -- if it's a special break-in oil the UOA might not be completely relevant. I filled it with the Nissan Ester Oil, at least for this time, so I'll probably do another UOA at the next change. I'll be sure to post the results down in the "definitive oil thread" in the tech section.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 AM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
Okay, I see...so that doesn't necessarily rule it out. But still there's nothing to indicate that Nissan/Infiniti is using a break-in oil -- at least with the VQ37VHR. Really all we have is speculation; exactly what the OP didn't want .

I've seen people claim on this forum and several others that they started using the Nissan Ester Oil as the factory fill for the VQ37VHR sometime in mid 2008 after the VVEL tick issue first arose. Same as when the recommendation was added to the manual. But again, I haven't seen any definitive evidence of that.

This article also goes into detail about the ester oil and why it was developed specifically for this engine. I'm sure many of you have seen it before, but perhaps some haven't, so I'll post the link here.
Revenge of the Nerd - Nissan in the sump with diamonds?

I'd like to know for sure what the factory fill is too. I just did my first oil change and sent the factory oil for a UOA -- if it's a special break-in oil the UOA might not be completely relevant. I filled it with the Nissan Ester Oil, at least for this time, so I'll probably do another UOA at the next change. I'll be sure to post the results down in the "definitive oil thread" in the tech section.
hold up, i never said Nissan uses a break-in oil....i said i think they use regular motor oil...and that Honda and Toyota uses break-in oils....

and because i was curious as to what they use, i called my tech buddy who works at Nissan....the 370z comes with regular 5w30 oil....i'm assuming it's the same for G37
Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 AM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by gtracing
hold up, i never said Nissan uses a break-in oil....i said i think they use regular motor oil...and that Honda and Toyota uses break-in oils....

and because i was curious as to what they use, i called my tech buddy who works at Nissan....the 370z comes with regular 5w30 oil....i'm assuming it's the same for G37
I didn't mean to imply you said that.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:26 PM
YO-EL

The asterik * in the owners manual says Nissan "recommends the use of Ester oil"..

Its doesn't state we MUST USE Ester oil..

If Ester oil was required, it would state to "ONLY USE Ester oil..."
Old 03-02-2010, 06:19 PM
cdso

Someone posted a UOA on the Nissan Ester. Check out the last few posts.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...bil-1-uoa.html
Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 PM
super2010

So what is the regular 5w30 oil recommended for 2009 g37x sedan? I just went for my first oil change ... the car just does not feel right when I press on the accelerator little bit hard .. it feels like it just does not have the guts to move.... very jerky feeling overall driving in the city .... the rpms go up and down ...like manual shifting

Also, what 5w30 oil does infinity use for g37x by default?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 11:48 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by super2010
So what is the regular 5w30 oil recommended for 2009 g37x sedan? I just went for my first oil change ... the car just does not feel right when I press on the accelerator little bit hard .. it feels like it just does not have the guts to move.... very jerky feeling overall driving in the city .... the rpms go up and down ...like manual shifting

Also, what 5w30 oil does infinity use for g37x by default?

Thanks
I think that's what we've been discussing in this thread. It's most likely going to be the same for the '09 g37x sedan as the g37 sedan, and probably the coupe as well. They all have the VQ37VHR engine. So we don't know for sure what the factory fill is.

The owner's manual recommends Nissan Ester Oil. It does not make any other recommendation other than it says to use an API Certified 5w30 Oil. If you want a specific brand, check out the long-winded definitive oil thread to find out what some other owners on this forum are using.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:06 PM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread is funny

This thread is funny as far as the speculation. The question is
what is the factory fill in the VQ37VHR? Read the Nissan
White Papers on the web, read the articles available on
the Nissan Ester oil, read the technical papers and
patent application on the Nissan Ester, and if that
is too much effort, call Nissan technical service
department and talk to an engineeer.

Nissan Ester is the factory fill on the VQ engines...all of them,
every Nissan model that uses a VQ variant.

Nissan developed this oil to raise their "fleet mileage" and
reduce their emissions for the CAFE standards. The nano-
particles suspended in the small but specific blend and
amount of "ester" in this oil also quiets and reduces
friction in the VVEL components. This oil was not
developed as an engine "fix", it was developed to
get Nissan higher mileage on their new car stickers.
It was designed to reduce friction between the
"plasma" coated parts in the VQ engines.
...it really is almost that simple.

Here's some food for thought. In past years, hotroders
and engine builders would upgrade to "roller-rockers"
to get up to 10% friction reduction in the valve train.
Nissan published an over 20% decrease in VVEL
engine valve train friction with the use of their
oil.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:37 PM
juicybusa

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
This thread is funny as far as the speculation. The question is
what is the factory fill in the VQ37VHR? Read the Nissan
White Papers on the web, read the articles available on
the Nissan Ester oil, read the technical papers and
patent application on the Nissan Ester, and if that
is too much effort, call Nissan technical service
department and talk to an engineeer.

Nissan Ester is the factory fill on the VQ engines...all of them,
every Nissan model that uses a VQ variant.

Nissan developed this oil to raise their "fleet mileage" and
reduce their emissions for the CAFE standards. The nano-
particles suspended in the small but specific blend and
amount of "ester" in this oil also quiets and reduces
friction in the VVEL components. This oil was not
developed as an engine "fix", it was developed to
get Nissan higher mileage on their new car stickers.
It was designed to reduce friction between the
"plasma" coated parts in the VQ engines.
...it really is almost that simple.

Here's some food for thought. In past years, hotroders
and engine builders would upgrade to "roller-rockers"
to get up to 10% friction reduction in the valve train.
Nissan published an over 20% decrease in VVEL
engine valve train friction with the use of their
oil.
20% reduction as compared to what???????
Old 03-04-2010, 04:46 PM
SM_Shadowman

JonfromCB, I'm not doubting you here, but I've read all of those things you mentioned and searched the web and have not been able to find anything that says anything about what the factory oil is in the G37. I asked you this earlier in the thread: do you have a link to a reliable source that answers this?

Quick Reply: What is the factory fill (oil)?