G37 Sedan

AWD with Sport or JUST Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:22 AM
jamesyoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWD with Sport or JUST Sport

Want to hear it from the owners themselves. I live in Southern California, I will be traveling up to the mountains quite often for snowboarding. Mammoth trips will be extremely frequent as well as I will be traveling and chasing snow. Would getting an AWD be necessary?? I'm well aware about the fact that the AWD is "intelligent" and that the four wheels only work when needed. But I don't want to loose performance, because AWD vehicles tend to loose a lot more hp than a standard RWD.

I live in So-Cal, rain is no biggie. AWD is not needed what so ever for the Southern California weather. But would sacrificing a bit of performance/speed be worth getting the AWD?

your input is greatly appreciated!

p.s. if anyone knows, is there a comparison between dyno's of a RWD G37 and a AWD G37X??
Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by jamesyoon
Want to hear it from the owners themselves. I live in Southern California, I will be traveling up to the mountains quite often for snowboarding. Mammoth trips will be extremely frequent as well as I will be traveling and chasing snow. Would getting an AWD be necessary?? I'm well aware about the fact that the AWD is "intelligent" and that the four wheels only work when needed. But I don't want to loose performance, because AWD vehicles tend to loose a lot more hp than a standard RWD.

I live in So-Cal, rain is no biggie. AWD is not needed what so ever for the Southern California weather. But would sacrificing a bit of performance/speed be worth getting the AWD?

your input is greatly appreciated!

p.s. if anyone knows, is there a comparison between dyno's of a RWD G37 and a AWD G37X??
There is no loss in HP. The AWD does weigh about 150lbs more, which makes it a little slower in a drag race, I've read about .5 sec 0-60.

The AWD Sport does not get the bigger brakes or suspension change either.

I would say it depends upon what you will do with it. If you are driving it on the street and taking your road trips, I would doubt you would really notice the extra weight. The AWD is great in snow and rain, and the one thing those that have RWD say is that the RWD is fine with snow tires. I doubt you will want to change tires every time you go on a trip.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:43 AM
jtla

KLB summed it up pretty well. I live in SoCal, too. We definitely don't need AWD here. However, since you will be "chasing snow", AWD will work out better for you for you.

Sport package in G37x is mostly aesthetical, but I think it worth every penny of the $1,100 price tag. (IMO, getting rid of the ugly stock wheels is a must, so I would at least get the Performance Wheel/Tire Package, which is $500. Then, the $600 price difference to step up to Sport becomes a no-brainer.)
Old 02-25-2010, 10:10 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember I read somewhere here that the AWD performs a little better than the RWD on track due to more traction with the AWD.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:15 AM
jamesyoon

I will never swap out my tires for winter tires. I would simply just put chains on if necessary lol

So basically, RWD with SPORTS is actually functioning as a sportIER vehicle where as the AWD is just for looks? I think I'll just settle for the RWD with Sports =]
Old 02-25-2010, 11:08 AM
rlb
Registered Member

Actually, there is a "loss" of HP w/ AWD. In addition to the extra weight of the AWD system reducing performance, AWD has a greater parasitic drain on engine HP. So you will loose about 3-5% more HP to the wheels vs RWD. In the real world it probably works out to about .5 sec 0-60 and 1/4 mile. You can feel the difference in power but for most it is not that significant unless you are at the dragstrip.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Chapinb

Originally Posted by kanariya
I remember I read somewhere here that the AWD performs a little better than the RWD on track due to more traction with the AWD.

This was in R&T or C&D mag, forget at the time, on the G35 platform. It was a minimal nod to the awd on dry, with a bit more advantage on wet.

The only real disadvantage with the AWD is you cannot do a real burnout, there is just too much grip on the dry stuff. The HP loss in minimal with AWD and unless your being timed, I doubt you could feel a real difference on the butt dyno. The AWD kicks in only on take off or when slip is noticed. Its off the rest of the time.

If its there and price is about the same, go AWD. If you use it once or twice a year, youll be glad you have it. Winter tires are no substitute for AWD/FWD on a slick surface, but, of course, will get you around.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:05 PM
dopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jamesyoon
I will never swap out my tires for winter tires. I would simply just put chains on if necessary lol

So basically, RWD with SPORTS is actually functioning as a sportIER vehicle where as the AWD is just for looks? I think I'll just settle for the RWD with Sports =]
Well it depends. The sport package also includes the paddle shifters which are sorta cosmetic, but much more fun than using the shift **** manually.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:27 PM
colburs

I can't really help you make your decision but keep in mind that AWD really only helps with acceleration. Braking and handling will be the same, if not better, in the RWD car.

I have a 6MT and I'll be honest, the grip in the snow is pretty pathetic. You absolutely need snow tires in this car. (I have Blizzak LM-25)

If you don't plan to switch to snows when you're "chasing snow" then go AWD with the best snow performing all-seasons you can find.

You seem to be very concerned with performance. Having snow friendly all-seasons on the car will quickly transform a G37 from a potent sports car to a more run-of-the-mill sedan. Not so much in at-speed acceleration but in handling, fast starts, and heavy braking.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:26 PM
hawkeye98

True that the S for the AWD is mostly cosmetic, but the sports seats of the xS are a lot better than the plain X seats (if you're not too big). I had an 09 X loaner for the past two days and couldn't wait to get back into the snugger and longer (i.e. thigh extension) xS seats.

I had an 05 6mt coupe, and I must say that the way the intelligent AWD handles the RWD/FWD split is quite impressive. Someone mentioned that the handling/cornering of the RWD might be better than the AWD, and I might agree with that...but I'm not sure if that's a function of the drivetrain or if that's a function of how d*mn high the AWD sits! If Infiniti only made the xS in a 6mt, the world would be a perfect place....
Old 02-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Hitdog540

AWD with Sport. If you will be in snow, that's the way to go. Kind of silly to worry how it performs in a drag race or the fact that it weighs 150lbs. Do you notice a difference in acceleration with a friend in the car???

Get the AWD!

Last edited by Hitdog540; 02-25-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you plan on modding the car at all?

You should know theres no coilovers available for the X, and sway bars and camber arms arent available either AFAIK.

If youre just buying the car and keeping it stock, since you go to the snow alot i would say get the XS, otherwise just get the S.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:19 PM
HenryLee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just sport b/c your in socal.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:31 PM
cdso

You can go sport with a set of dedicated snow tires. I did it in my 04 coupe. It's going to be tougher, but you can still get around. If you want more confidence and grip, then yes, get the X.