G37 Sedan

Note about Ester Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:35 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Note about Ester Oil

I've been complaining about a rough idle for a while now, like really rough - shaking, vibration, etc. My VQ was starting to feel like my old LSX engine. I've used Mobile One for a couple of oil changes; went to my local Nissan place, paid through the nose for Nissan Ester, put it in the car and guess what - smooth as butter. Valve train noise really quieted down, too. Engine feels and sounds great after the change. I will never put Mobile One in this car again - I suppose I may try Motul, Redline or Amsoil (because it just kills me to pay 12/qt for motor oil) but I will have to say that the Nissan Ester really did the trick - am very satisfied, even with the ridiculous price. Oil filter was 5.99. Now that's acceptable. Oh, and they said they'd do my 7500 mile service for $45 - as opposed to infiniti, who wanted 115, or something along those lines.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Rather than give the Ester oil credit, I'd say the Mobil 1 is the culprit.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:56 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

I agree - very well could be - that's why I"m going to try something else next, I think, and see how it feels right away. And I am going to pay attention to how the engine feels and sounds as I go through the months...
Old 02-20-2010, 04:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
Rather than give the Ester oil credit, I'd say the Mobil 1 is the culprit.
Been using Mobil1 for the last 11k, Started using it at 1k and never had any noise issues or oil consumption. But if I do I'll keep the Ester in mind
Old 02-20-2010, 07:21 PM
cdso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw one guy post in another thread that he tried the Pennzoil Ultra. I think he said it seemed a little quieter, but he didn't have much valvetrain noise to begin with. Might be a cost effective alternative? I think he said it was like $28 for 5 qts at Walmart. I think I'll switch over to the ester at some point soon just to kill the valvetrain noise.

Can you extend the change interval with the nissan ester?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Mysticalism

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
I agree - very well could be - that's why I"m going to try something else next, I think, and see how it feels right away. And I am going to pay attention to how the engine feels and sounds as I go through the months...

You should give Eneos a try, i put it in my car and my car feels really smooth
Old 02-20-2010, 08:11 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cdso
Saw one guy post in another thread that he tried the Pennzoil Ultra. I think he said it seemed a little quieter, but he didn't have much valvetrain noise to begin with. Might be a cost effective alternative? I think he said it was like $28 for 5 qts at Walmart. I think I'll switch over to the ester at some point soon just to kill the valvetrain noise.

Can you extend the change interval with the nissan ester?
That price is preferable to 5 X $12, that's for sure. I'm open to options even though I really believe Nissan is just trying their utmost to preserve the engine with the ester, and not make a buck.

Originally Posted by Mysticalism
You should give Eneos a try, i put it in my car and my car feels really smooth
I hear good things about most of the high-quality synthetics - Motul, Amsoil, Redline, ^^Eneos, etc. - even stuff like Penzoil Platinum and oils of that ilk. This engine is finicky, I think, and really likes the good stuff. My L76 did well with just about anything. A pretty bullet-proof engine - sometimes simpler is better, you know?