G37 Sedan

My turn - car had to be towed last night

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Wongster
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
Car is still at the dealer. I had to take a short business trip and heading back home today. When I spoke to them on Monday they expected to have it ready by EOD today. I'll let you know what I find.

About the programming fix, I find that strange since I had no issues since I got the car. I bought it in May '09 and believe the manufacture date on the door sill is late 2008.
Please keep us posted Sky. I'm surious to find out what the diagnosis is.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:02 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Sucks to hear but I'm sure they'll get you going relatively quick.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:17 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car is ready and I'll be picking it up in the morning. They said it was an Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid. Looking at the service manual this solenoid controls cam phases based on engine speed and driving conditions. It seems to be related to VVEL operation since it makes it possible to control the shut/open timing of the intake valve to increase engine torque in low/mid speed range and output in high-speed range.

I'm not overly worried. Seems like an easy fix and explains why the ECU went into failsafe mode.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
Car is ready and I'll be picking it up in the morning. They said it was an Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid. Looking at the service manual this solenoid controls cam phases based on engine speed and driving conditions. It seems to be related to VVEL operation since it makes it possible to control the shut/open timing of the intake valve to increase engine torque in low/mid speed range and output in high-speed range.

I'm not overly worried. Seems like an easy fix and explains why the ECU went into failsafe mode.
So they are replacing this under warranty then. I had the same code, but could not get it repro'd the next morning or the weekend when they had it.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:32 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's not too bad then. just an ITB occurrence. I wonder if there's a way to induce this so cars can confirm if this is going to happen, so it doesn't suddenly happen..
Old 02-25-2010, 09:15 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According my service advisor Infiniti Technical Support has a large file related to this type of fault related to intake/valve control although the root cause is not always the same. The tech had to review this scenario with their technical support to determine the fix in this case.

Now being in the technology support business, it sounds like they tried the most likely solution but there's always a possibility the problem could still be there - I hope I don't jinx myself.

These guys seem to be pretty good. When I picked up my car this morning the FOB Low Battery alert came on and they replaced my FOB battery with no questions asked. I know it's a small thing but they probably felt they should have caught this while they had the car for the past few days.