G37 Sedan

Little pluses and minuses about the G37

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Lazarus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little pluses and minuses about the G37

Hey all. My lease is almost up on my 06 G35 6MT. I'm probably going to move into either a G37 coupe or sedan, likely a sedan as I like the 4 doors and have 2 kids. I'm going to be leasing again so I'm not too worried about huge problems but I wanted to know what are some of the little problems. Some that I think about with the G35 was the oil burning issue (got a new motor out of it), the crappy paint (afraid its probably the same on the G37), and the hood hinges getting jacked up. I still like my car and Nissan as a whole but I just dont know if I should get something else (I really need a pickup truck).

Also I'd like to hear the little things about the car that makes it a sweet ride. I saw a IS250 in a shop once and I noticed it had ducts that sent air to the brakes. I thought this was a nice touch. My G35 is pretty basic so I can't think of any little touches it has but the newer body style seems like it offers some cool stuff like the i-key.

I checked the mod section but it seems like all the exhaust and suspensions are for the coupe. I think Tein has something for the G37 sedan and I see ARK is working on something as well. Injen and Stillen have intakes, is that about it? I still need to do more research.

Btw, I moved to Atlanta last year and while I love driving manual trans traffic down here is NO JOKE! Besides I'd like my wife to be able to drive to work or on road trips as well, what do you guys think about the 7AT?
Old 02-18-2010, 12:27 PM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lazarus, I have a 09G37Xs. It's my third Infiniti. Best performing car I've ever
had (Mercedes 4wd, Audi 4wd, Acura 4wd). The new Dunop tires are a huge
improvment over the Michlins, Goodyear RSAs, and Pole Positions that I've had
and used before...their performance is better in all areas.
Dislikes...7at is quirky and unrefined. I drive 90% + in full auto mode.
drivers who use the paddles seem happier with the transmission.

Biggest dislike.....high maintenance of VQ37 campared to the VQ35....
Many folks overlook this or don't talk about it, but the 37 requires
oil changes every 3750 miles OR THREE MONTHS...WHICHEVER
IS SOONER. If you read the service manual (not the owners manual)
closely, the longer service interval of 7500 miles "applies only to highway
driving in temperate conditions" Which applies to very few drivers.
....otherwise it's every three months or 3750 miles.
I fully understood this when I bought the car, but it
is a PITA to change the oil every three months. The
high maintenance required also has had a negative
effect on the residual value of the new Gs compared
to the old ones.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Hi Alt G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll put in 2 cents on the 7AT. I moved to it from a Volvo 6 sp manual. I have to say that going with the 7AT is the thing I like most about the G37 compared to the Volvo. I think it performs very well. I think with the three different modes, it can satisfy almost anyone's driving style. And for me, it has performed very well. You will undoubtedly get differing opinions, but that's my take.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Lazarus

Thanks Jon. I drive alot to and from work so 3750 will come around pretty fast. I dont mind though since I used be a Nissan tech. How is the engine with regards to oil consumption? I know the G35/350Zs had a problem with that. I think even the replacement engine I got still has the problem.

I'm really leaning towards the auto just for simplicity. I hate getting stuck in stop and go traffic with the 6 speed. How does the 7AT speed with the manual performance wise? Anyone know?
Old 02-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Hi Alt G

^^Try the manual mode - I'll bet you like it. Just got to rememeber to upshift! LOL
Old 02-18-2010, 02:43 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Had an 07 G35 Journey, now have an 09 G37 Journey. I like the 09 better in seveal ways. The fuel econmy is quite improved, I used to get a best of about 27hwy in our 07 and now get a best of 30. The 7at is very good accelerating through the gears, keeping the rpms in the ideal range. The clunky/hunting downshift issue was a bit bothersome at first, but the trans seems to have adapted to my habits and it isn't so clumsy anymore. The sunroof deflector is improved so it's quieter when open, the miror profile is also improved and reduces wind noise.
The paint chipping issue is still there and is definately not improved. The self healing paint does work for light scratches & swirls, but doesn't seem to make a difference w/ the chipping.
All in all a better vehicle, I'm sure the 2010s are even slightly improved on the 09s so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend leasing another G.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Lazarus

Originally Posted by Hi Alt G
^^Try the manual mode - I'll bet you like it. Just got to rememeber to upshift! LOL
Yea I had a loaner, 07 I think with the manual slapstick thingy and it was fun. Seemed pretty quick to. Do you have to take your foot off the gas with it? I drive hard and fast and I wouldnt want to damage it.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi Alt G

Originally Posted by Lazarus
Yea I had a loaner, 07 I think with the manual slapstick thingy and it was fun. Seemed pretty quick to. Do you have to take your foot off the gas with it? I drive hard and fast and I wouldnt want to damage it.
I don't have paddles, I just floor it, watch the tac and shift accordingly. I don't take my foot off the gas. Don't if this is the "best" way to do it, but the sucker sure shoots down the road (not that I would ever exceed the speed limit mind you).
Old 02-18-2010, 04:37 PM
saw1

I have a 2009 G37s 7AT. The paadle shifting is very good, almost feels like a manual, ALMOST. I also have a third car that is a manual, and lets face it, there is no real auto substitute. With that being said, I live in Atlanta as well and i am very happy with the 7AT. Plenty of power, civilized most of the time, fun when you want it. I am not sure about the 2006, but the '07-present has a huge 20 gal gas tank. I go 320-350 miles easy between fill-ups.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:34 PM
cdso

Coming from an 04 coupe, the G37 is a huge improvement. The 7At is smooth and refined, although a little quirky in my mind (perhaps because my G is still green). The engine is flexible with gobs of power...just wish it had a little more torque. Suspension is great...corners well and is very compliant even with the 18s. The two issues that stand out in my mind right now are the lack of fold down seats in the sedan and the desire for more bass out of the Bose system. Gas milage is pretty good in mind for something that has 300+ hp!

Overall, I think it's the best sport sedan out there for the money. The 335 may be a little faster stock, but it's also more expensive when priced with comparable options. The IS350 is quick & refined, but it also feels very numb.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:56 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
Biggest dislike.....high maintenance of VQ37 campared to the VQ35....
Many folks overlook this or don't talk about it, but the 37 requires
oil changes every 3750 miles OR THREE MONTHS...WHICHEVER
IS SOONER. If you read the service manual (not the owners manual)
closely, the longer service interval of 7500 miles "applies only to highway
driving in temperate conditions" Which applies to very few drivers.
....otherwise it's every three months or 3750 miles.
I fully understood this when I bought the car, but it
is a PITA to change the oil every three months. The
high maintenance required also has had a negative
effect on the residual value of the new Gs compared
to the old ones.
That is standard language. The Nissan Service Manual(they apparently only have one for all of their vehicles per year except for the GT-R which just says every 6000 miles) has the same exact language. In fact, they are the same exact page except that for the changing of the name Infiniti to Nissan.

What is says is if you drive like this get it changed every 3750 miles
Repeated short trips of less than 5
miles in normal temperatures or less than
10 miles in freezing temperatures

Stop-and-go traffic in hot weather or
low-speed driving for long distances

Driving in dusty conditions or on rough,
muddy, or salt-spread roads

Towing a trailer, or using a camper
or car-top carrier

For 7500 miles it says
Generally, Schedule 2 applies only to
highway driving in temperate
conditions. Use Schedule 2 only if you
primarily operate your vehicle under
conditions other than those listed in
Schedule 1.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:30 AM
dopey
Registered Member

Every car I've ever owned has had a service manual that states X miles or X months. Older cars have been 3000/3, and newer vehicles seem to settle on 3750/3 or 5000/6.

So I'm not sure what JonfromCB means by this being a minus and/or having anything to do with residual value. That's not just nissan/infiniti standard language, but it's pretty much industry standard language for just about any cars.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:40 AM
JonfromCB

Originally Posted by KLB
That is standard language. The Nissan Service Manual(they apparently only have one for all of their vehicles per year except for the GT-R which just says every 6000 miles) has the same exact language. In fact, they are the same exact page except that for the changing of the name Infiniti to Nissan.

What is says is if you drive like this get it changed every 3750 miles

Repeated short trips of less than 5
miles in normal temperatures or less than
10 miles in freezing temperatures

Stop-and-go traffic in hot weather or
low-speed driving for long distances

Driving in dusty conditions or on rough,
muddy, or salt-spread roads

Towing a trailer, or using a camper
or car-top carrier

For 7500 miles it says
Generally, Schedule 2 applies only to
highway driving in temperate
conditions. Use Schedule 2 only if you
primarily operate your vehicle under
conditions other than those listed in

Schedule 1.

You forgot to add "if you primarily operate your vehicle under
ANY of these conditions:"......and 3 or 6 months, whichever
comes first....and that Nissan recommeds schedule 1.

My point is: VERY FEW DRIVERS can claim they meet schedule 2
requirements. 2nd point is this engine has low mileage OCI
requirements compared to it's competition. Let's face it,
it's a high maintenance engine. 3rd point is the VQ37
is HARD ON OIL, especially if the driver likes to open up
the throttle for short bursts.

If you would like to see why the VQ37 has short OCIs,
subscribe to Dyson's data base, study a few UAO's from
VQ37s and let me know how long/far you'd leave oil in this engine.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:51 AM
JonfromCB

Originally Posted by dopey
Every car I've ever owned has had a service manual that states X miles or X months. Older cars have been 3000/3, and newer vehicles seem to settle on 3750/3 or 5000/6.

So I'm not sure what JonfromCB means by this being a minus and/or having anything to do with residual value. That's not just nissan/infiniti standard language, but it's pretty much industry standard language for just about any cars.

Dopey, my point is clear...the Infiniti requires more maintenance
..ie, oil changes, than it's competition. Check the recommended
OIC for Acura, Lexus, and BMW and Mercedes. Most are once
a year for most drivers. The VQ37 is every three months for me.
I've owned a dozen "luxuary cars" over $40K and the Infiniti's
require the most scheduled maintenance....but I love' em.
But maintenance is a resale value factor that hurts the
Infiniti.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:06 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dopey

My G is leased. I'll settle on 5000/6.

Quick Reply: Little pluses and minuses about the G37