G37 Sedan

Little pluses and minuses about the G37

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 12:50 PM
dopey
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 328HP
I agree with you to some extent. It sucks taking the car in every 3750/3mnth time frame. Its too frequent for my liking, Lex is 5000/6mnths schedule.

On a cost perspective, from where I am standing total cash outflows of someone with a similarly equipped Merc/335i/Audi A4 is still going to spend more on the car than myself, maintenance included. On my G35X I spent just under 2k (this includes brakes, both front & back) for the +40k miles I put on her. Given I saved around 10k by not getting the German cars above I am not complaining. In fact once you use NPV (Unnecessary I know), that difference of 2k is further reduced. Now others are smarter and get the maintenance plans and that lowers the cost, I prefer back ending my costs.

In short, more time spent in routine maintenance: I agree
Cost: I disagree, you have to look at the whole picture.

On another note, I see complaints about the 7At not being responsive or gear hunting, I am left wondering are we driving the same car

Granted mine is a '10 but from what I know there are no mechanical changes in the '10 vs the 09s. I have not had any issues, in fact I prefer to drive in D mode except when I am........ then I put it in DS mode. In D mode the 7AT is still kicking.......
I know people who own BMWs and Mercedes who don't trust the 12k-15k schedule that they use and get their oil changed every 5. For synthetic that ain't cheap. Otherwise, 328hp sums up exactly my thoughts. My G37 is a good 10-15k cheaper (at least) than the alternatives with similar options. So I need to change the oil at the same interval we change my wife's subaru oil. That doesn't bother me one bit. Given that I prefer to change my oil relatively regularly anyways (it gives me much smaller window of opportunity for a mechanical problem to crop up undetected) I still prefer good old dino oil.

Otherwise, I find the 7AT to be perfectly fine. I don't notice gear hunting at all. When I floor it to accelerate, it drops gears quickly and gets me going. I'm generally used to downshifting when I pass anyways, so I actually find myself blipping the downshift paddle when I pass, but for the past 2 weeks (as long as I've owned my '10 g37xs) I've been forcing myself to give the 7AT a chance, and it's a great transmission.

The one main thing I've found is the car is much more hesitant when you feather the throttle. But then again, I'm coming from an '07 G35S with the infamous "binary throttle" so I got used to feathering the old car to prevent whiplash lawsuits from passengers. In the last two weeks I've gotten much more used to new car's throttle and I don't notice the hesitation anymore.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:55 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jtla
I am confused. If you are in manual mode, why would it downshift on its own?
Even when in manual mode it will automatically downshift as the car is slowing down.

For example if I'm going 40 MPH in 5th, in manual mode, and I slow down to 15 MPH, it will automatically downshift to 3rd. If you're not watching it you can manually downshift as it's automatically downshifting and get a double downshift.

I don't think it will automatically upshift when in manual mode - I say this because there are times I forget I'm in manual mode and I suddenly notice I'm going 20 MPH at 6,000 RPM.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC

I don't think it will automatically upshift when in manual mode - I say this because there are times I forget I'm in manual mode and I suddenly notice I'm going 20 MPH at 6,000 RPM.
It will if you redline it
Old 02-21-2010, 09:04 PM
dopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
are you sure about that? In manual mode? My '07 let me bounce off the rev limiter.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:46 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Originally Posted by dopey
are you sure about that? In manual mode? My '07 let me bounce off the rev limiter.
Yeaah.... my '09 will definitely just bounce off the rev limiter. It'll automatically downshift though if you're going slow enough.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:39 PM
328HP

One small thing, '10 Nav is slower to use than the 07-09. For example if you press "Home" it will take about 2 more seconds than the earlier version. Maybe its the winter, I don't know. The speed is still ok though if you have not experienced the 07-09 Nav system
Old 02-22-2010, 08:27 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't have a problem with the transmission either, at least not in terms of it being rough or sloppy, or hunting for gears. I wish it were a little snappier on the upshifts, that's about it.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Vasher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW offers free maintenance. Who benefits by spreading out the maintenance (oil changes) a little further? It saves them money, not the consumer. The maintenance plan specifically states that it will cover required maintenance (e.g.; oil changes) at specific intervals (and no sooner). So, if you go in for an oil change at 6k miles, you're wasting your time. The same goes for a purchased maintenance plan from other manufacturers.

If anything, the closer intervals should lend value to Infiniti's (purchased) maintenance plan and it's commitment to the vehicles it produces.

If you don't care about how your car runs, take it in every 15k. It will suck when it craps out after 60k miles (50k, if you're in a BMW).

Dopey - I noticed the "touchy" throttle in the '07-'08 G35 (Sedans). There is some "lag" in my '10 coupe when I'm light on the throttle (still breaking her in). I feel a difference in the breaking also. The breaks in early models were "touchy", always wanting to grab. The breaks in the '10 are smooth.

I love the new USB connection with the iPod compatibility. The iPod menu from the Nav screen is cool. However, mine keeps getting "disconnected". The screen says "Check USB Device or Connection" (or something close to that).

Anyways, it's a really fun car. "It is so choice. If you have the means , I highly recommend picking one up."
Old 02-24-2010, 08:33 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I do mainly hwy driving with this car. If my dealer had not offered me free oil changes for the in between svc stops, I'm now do for my 11,500 svc, I would have no problems or concerns about using schedule 2.

Dislike for my G are few. the interior makes too many weirds crack and pops from the washi and around the control dial, my 08 G35xS was worse. I have fixed most of them with some pieces of foam tucked in a few spots.

My only problem with the auto gearbox is that it tends to upshift way too quickly for my taste. When I'm relaxed and cruising around town too many time I find my car in too high of a gear with my RPM's in the 1700/1800 range.

Also the manual mode on the auto is nice, but it's no substitute for a real manual gearbox. I'm 45 and been driving since 1980. In that 30 year period , just added up the #'s, 25 of those years I drove stick only. Like I said it's nice gearbox but it does not give me the same feeling and excitement you get when you use a proper manual gearbox.

All these manualmatics gearboxes and even the DDG, which I've driven on a couple of occasions, to me feel artificial and disconnected. They remind me of the days I used to shift my own gears in Gran Turismo.

Last edited by gugarci; 02-24-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:52 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
That's funny - you touch on most of my same issues - little things, mostly.

Originally Posted by gugarci
I do mainly hwy driving with this car. If my dealer had not offered me free oil changes for the in between svc stops, I'm now do for my 11,500 svc, I would have no problems or concerns about using schedule 2.
With the vast majority / most of today's engines + today's oils, there is no reason to change oil every 3k miles - more like 7 to 15k. Apparently the VQ is not in the category, and I find that so irritating. I want to do right by this car, and just had the 7500 change performed with nissan ester, and it was extremely expensive ($95). I do not want to spend 95 dollars every 3750k miles.

Dislike for my G are few. the interior makes too many weirds crack and pops from the washi and around the control dial, my 08 G35xS was worse. I have fixed most of them with some pieces of foam tucked in a few spots.
Same here - little teeny rattle in odd places, cracks and pops around the dash, gauge cluster pod, etc. My GM, built-in-AU-by-drunken-hoons G8 GT didn't do this, and my built in Japan CRV didn't do this - why the 37k G37? I understand BMW 3 series from recent years are plauged in this area as well, but it doesn't make me feel any better, or my noises less irritating.

My only problem with the auto gearbox is that it tends to upshift way too quickly for my taste. When I'm relaxed and cruising around town too many time I find my car in too high of a gear with my RPM's in the 1700/1800 range.
Yup - you really have to get on it (heavy accel. press) to get into a proper gear at that point, and suddenly you're taking off like a rocket in the middle of traffic - there's no little squirt of power in that situation (sitting in 4th or 5th at 1700 rpm). You can manual shift to just one gear lower, but that is clunky, and obviates the point of having a nice AT.

Also the manual mode on the auto is nice, but it's no substitute for a real manual gearbox. I'm 45 and been driving since 1980. In that 30 year period , just added up the #'s, 25 of those years I drove stick only. Like I said it's nice gearbox but it does not give me the same feeling and excitement you get when you use a proper manual gearbox.
I'm 42, and have been in the same boat - other than a owning a plymouth fury when I was a kid, and the G8 for a short period, all my cars have been manuals. I thought I was past shifting my own, for laziness reasons, but I'm finding that doing the job yourself is the only way to get it done right, as they say.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:08 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've fixed most of the annoying pops and crack from my G with insulation type foam. I've got some tucked in on the right side of my washi by the central controls, and others around the front and back of the control dial. Without a doubt my car is a lot quieter now. You might want to try something similar. I kid you not it works.

Like I said the manualmatic is no substitute for a real stick, but I have no regrets about buying this car with an auto.