G37 Sedan

Little pluses and minuses about the G37

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 03:20 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi Alt G
^^Try the manual mode - I'll bet you like it. Just got to rememeber to upshift! LOL
Exactly. I've given up on trying to downshift it. The rev-matching on the downshifts seems unnatural to me and it's not the effect I want. Sometimes I'll downshift it manually just as the car is downshifting on it's own and I'll get a double downshift. Like I said, I just don't downshift it anymore.

The manual mode of the 7AT is most useful (to me) when at highway speeds cutting in and out of traffic. I can pop it into 5th or 6th and get quick horsepower. You just have to remember you're in manual mode, though.

A good compromise is DS mode - it's when you move the shifter from Drive to the left position. The car remains in automatic mode (unless you shift it manually up or down), but most shifts are done at a higher RPM making for a sportier drive.

Last edited by TinsleyC; 02-19-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 PM
jtla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uwnav
I'll do a bigger post with little pluses and minuses. But one I recently discovered that made me SO HAPPY =|
If you get Navigation, you can set the keyboard to QWERTY. It kills me to see a keyboard in non-qwerty!
Speaking of Navi package, how does the DVD playback on 7" screen work?
(1) Do you play by putting a DVD disc into the CD/DVD slot on the dash?
(2) Can you play when the car is moving? If yes, that would be great for kids in the back (use as entertainment in long trips).
(3) But then I guess you cannot play DVD and use navigation at the same time, can you?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 PM
jtla

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Sometimes I'll downshift it manually just as the car is downshifting on it's own and I'll get a double downshift.
I am confused. If you are in manual mode, why would it downshift on its own?
Old 02-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Gee37S

Originally Posted by jtla
Speaking of Navi package, how does the DVD playback on 7" screen work?
(1) Do you play by putting a DVD disc into the CD/DVD slot on the dash?
(2) Can you play when the car is moving? If yes, that would be great for kids in the back (use as entertainment in long trips).
(3) But then I guess you cannot play DVD and use navigation at the same time, can you?
(2) On here I'd say no you can't, but google might say otherwise...
Old 02-19-2010, 10:42 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JonfromCB
Dopey, my point is clear...the Infiniti requires more maintenance
..ie, oil changes, than it's competition. Check the recommended
OIC for Acura, Lexus, and BMW and Mercedes. Most are once
a year for most drivers. The VQ37 is every three months for me.
I've owned a dozen "luxuary cars" over $40K and the Infiniti's
require the most scheduled maintenance....but I love' em.
But maintenance is a resale value factor that hurts the
Infiniti.
The short change sucks. I had my oil changed in september, and I haven't been 3750 miles yet, but it burned through a quart of oil in 4-5 months. I'm overdue for a change by a month or so, and It's making me really nervous. I plan on changing it this weekend with the Nissan ester.

IN comparison, you could run 13,000 miles of regular driving in my G8's LSx (L76) between changes - that totally rocked. Saves me - what - 3x the money? (except it took 9 quarts of mobile 1)!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:43 PM
kanji0513

Hey there, I have a 09 G37S sedan FR, I bought it in May so far I love this car. The only thing I regret about is I should get the nav but I didn't. And the 7spd AT is kind act don't know which gear it should be in, sometimes. Other than that I enjoy it pretty much, I'm going to drop the car and see if I have some spare money I'll definitly get greddy pipe. Go with the sedan, too much coupe out there.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Kwang

You forgot to add "if you primarily operate your vehicle under
ANY of these conditions:"......and 3 or 6 months, whichever
comes first....and that Nissan recommeds schedule 1.

My point is: VERY FEW DRIVERS can claim they meet schedule 2
requirements. 2nd point is this engine has low mileage OCI
requirements compared to it's competition. Let's face it,
it's a high maintenance engine. 3rd point is the VQ37
is HARD ON OIL, especially if the driver likes to open up
the throttle for short bursts.

If you would like to see why the VQ37 has short OCIs,
subscribe to Dyson's data base, study a few UAO's from
VQ37s and let me know how long/far you'd leave oil in this engine.

[/left]
Uh oh... I am 400 miles away from 7,500... And it's been about 5 months since the last oil change... I thought changing every 3750 miles is fine rather than every 3 months... or am I wrong?

Nervous about voiding the warranty as well. Planning to change the oil on my own as well; tips on keeping the warranty with diy oil changes? Thanks for the info btw!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwang
Uh oh... I am 400 miles away from 7,500... And it's been about 5 months since the last oil change... I thought changing every 3750 miles is fine rather than every 3 months... or am I wrong?

Nervous about voiding the warranty as well. Planning to change the oil on my own as well; tips on keeping the warranty with diy oil changes? Thanks for the info btw!
I keep all my receipts, I usually buy a years worth of oil & filters when it's on sale and have the shop clerk ring up every 5 quarts & a filter separately so I'll have a single receipt for each service. I then put a # on the receipt, and put the same # in my maintanance log. So for my 2nd oil change I'd have a #2 on the receipt and a #2 to reference it in my log.
FWIW I change every 5k w/ Mobil1 5-30 and a Mobil1 filter. I also don't have any oil consumption issues, at my last oil change I was still on the high mark on the stick.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Kwang

Originally Posted by blnewt
I keep all my receipts, I usually buy a years worth of oil & filters when it's on sale and have the shop clerk ring up every 5 quarts & a filter separately so I'll have a single receipt for each service. I then put a # on the receipt, and put the same # in my maintanance log. So for my 2nd oil change I'd have a #2 on the receipt and a #2 to reference it in my log.
FWIW I change every 5k w/ Mobil1 5-30 and a Mobil1 filter. I also don't have any oil consumption issues, at my last oil change I was still on the high mark on the stick.
You created the maintenance log yourself? Or did it come with the car somewhere? I don't remember seeing one =X
So, Infiniti would be fine with 5k change intervals and your own personal log as sufficient proof?

Thanks for the reply! I think I will have to do what you did -- stockpile on oil and filters when they are cheap. =]
Old 02-20-2010, 01:55 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwang
You created the maintenance log yourself? Or did it come with the car somewhere? I don't remember seeing one =X
So, Infiniti would be fine with 5k change intervals and your own personal log as sufficient proof?

Thanks for the reply! I think I will have to do what you did -- stockpile on oil and filters when they are cheap. =]
I just use the Infiniti Maintanance book that comes w/ the Owners pkg.
5k is a good interval using full synthetic oil as long as you're not driving as per schedule 1. I believe most drivers are somewhere in between schedule 1 & 2. Schedule 1 requires 3750 per change and schedule 2 is 7500 miles. Maybe someone can chime in that knows for sure regarding 5k being sufficient for a car not adhereing to schedule 1 driving habits. Mobil1 has a service life of 7500 miles so 5k is well within it's road life. I don't drive the crap out of my G though
Old 02-20-2010, 10:54 PM
KLB

You forgot to add "if you primarily operate your vehicle under
ANY of these conditions:"......and 3 or 6 months, whichever
comes first....and that Nissan recommeds schedule 1.

My point is: VERY FEW DRIVERS can claim they meet schedule 2
requirements. 2nd point is this engine has low mileage OCI
requirements compared to it's competition. Let's face it,
it's a high maintenance engine. 3rd point is the VQ37
is HARD ON OIL, especially if the driver likes to open up
the throttle for short bursts.
[/left]
I didn't add anything except for the bold print.

I'd say most people do not fit either of them, so somewhere in between would be appropriate.

They recommend schedule 1 for every car they sell. They make more money if you bring it in for service all the time.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:30 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I just use the Infiniti Maintanance book that comes w/ the Owners pkg.
5k is a good interval using full synthetic oil as long as you're not driving as per schedule 1. I believe most drivers are somewhere in between schedule 1 & 2. Schedule 1 requires 3750 per change and schedule 2 is 7500 miles. Maybe someone can chime in that knows for sure regarding 5k being sufficient for a car not adhereing to schedule 1 driving habits. Mobil1 has a service life of 7500 miles so 5k is well within it's road life. I don't drive the crap out of my G though
I'm planning on doing around 5000 and getting a few UOAs to ease my mind about that.

But "officially" I'm sticking with schedule 2, just doing more frequent oil changes then necessary. They can't deny your warranty for changing the oil MORE than you have to.

I do about 90% highway driving. People seem to think the occasional running errands puts them in schedule 1, but that's not the case. It's what you do most of the time that counts. The key word in the owner's manual is PRIMARILY. Engine running time is the main concern -- which is a factor of both mileage and speeds. Hence the difference in recommended schedules. Dust and temperatures factor in as well.

Winter driving is probably a bit harsher, however -- might be a good idea to change around the end of winter.

Here's an interesting article about maintenance schedules in general. Of course this may or may not apply to the G37, so really a UOA is probably the only way to know for sure:
http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/A...ge_habits.aspx
Old 02-20-2010, 11:57 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jtla
I am confused. If you are in manual mode, why would it downshift on its own?
It's only manual mode to a certain point. The car will downshift to prevent stalling and will prevent you from over revving the engine to prevent damage.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 AM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KLB
I didn't add anything except for the bold print.

I'd say most people do not fit either of them, so somewhere in between would be appropriate.

They recommend schedule 1 for every car they sell. They make more money if you bring it in for service all the time.
So what's your point? That you did omit the number of months or "whichever occurs first."

My response is that BMW and Mercedes recommend
their schedule 1 too.....which is 8 to 12K or once a year! as compared
to Infiniti's every 3 months or 3750....quite a difference,

Do you really think car companies are in business to make money
changing oil or are you just tying to convince yourself that the
VQ is not a high maintenance engine?
Old 02-21-2010, 11:22 AM
328HP

So what's your point? That you did omit the number of months or "whichever occurs first."

My response is that BMW and Mercedes recommend
their schedule 1 too.....which is 8 to 12K or once a year! as compared
to Infiniti's every 3 months or 3750....quite a difference,

Do you really think car companies are in business to make money
changing oil or are you just tying to convince yourself that the
VQ is not a high maintenance engine?
I agree with you to some extent. It sucks taking the car in every 3750/3mnth time frame. Its too frequent for my liking, Lex is 5000/6mnths schedule.

On a cost perspective, from where I am standing total cash outflows of someone with a similarly equipped Merc/335i/Audi A4 is still going to spend more on the car than myself, maintenance included. On my G35X I spent just under 2k (this includes brakes, both front & back) for the +40k miles I put on her. Given I saved around 10k by not getting the German cars above I am not complaining. In fact once you use NPV (Unnecessary I know), that difference of 2k is further reduced. Now others are smarter and get the maintenance plans and that lowers the cost, I prefer back ending my costs.

In short, more time spent in routine maintenance: I agree
Cost: I disagree, you have to look at the whole picture.

On another note, I see complaints about the 7At not being responsive or gear hunting, I am left wondering are we driving the same car

Granted mine is a '10 but from what I know there are no mechanical changes in the '10 vs the 09s. I have not had any issues, in fact I prefer to drive in D mode except when I am........ then I put it in DS mode. In D mode the 7AT is still kicking.......

Quick Reply: Little pluses and minuses about the G37