G37 Sedan

ARK PERFORMANCE INC : Done with the Coupe, Now with the Sedan as Promised.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 06:03 PM
DEC1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just traded '08 coupe for '10 sedan...the thing I miss the most is the sound of the coupe. If ARK can provide mufflers that duplicate the coupe stock sound, I'd consider being a buyer...but all I would want to change is the mufflers... and have it be completely unnoticeable...
Old 02-26-2010, 09:44 PM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DEC1
I just traded '08 coupe for '10 sedan...the thing I miss the most is the sound of the coupe. If ARK can provide mufflers that duplicate the coupe stock sound, I'd consider being a buyer...but all I would want to change is the mufflers... and have it be completely unnoticeable...
IMO your best bet is the Tanabe axle back. But visually they look nothing like oem. All ss and very large tips too.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:34 AM
J2S2M

ARK.. give us some updates!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 PM
J2S2M

UPDATE: Spoke w/ ARK today. Looks like I'll be dropping the car off sometime this week maybe Wed or Thur. They said they'll need my G for 2 days. So I am hoping I'll have my G back before Fri. w/ a new exhaust.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
There is no aftermarket cat-back exhaust that makes any seat of the pants improvement over OEM. There may be some minor gains on a dyno, but you won't notice any gains while driving your car. People want to believe in more than just a change in sound because they dumped $1,000+ on full cat-back.

The cats are the restrictions.

It's amazing how many people in this forum talk about this car as if it's pushing 600 horsepower and OEM exhaust is holding things back.

I like modding cars, but I'm realistic. Don't believe all the power gain hype from the manufacturers. Unless I physically witness a before and after dyno test, I don't believe the manuf. claimed gains. If you have ever dyno tuned a car you will know just how many variables can affect the dyno. Even things like tire pressure.
This is not a WRX/Evo/GTI/turbo import of choice. Very well stated.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ARKperformance
With anywhere for 6-10whp it can be felt as an increased throttle response especially from an NA engine.
A straight gain over the whole powerband cannot be felt. Nobody's senses are that fine tuned. Ambient temperature changes would make a similar difference in horsepower (e.g. cool evening to warm afternoon).

Alternatively, changing the throttle mapping would make the car feel a lot faster. (07 sedan vs 08+ sedan. Drive them back to back and you will think one is significantly faster than the other)

I'm not saying the product is bad, but some claims are just absurd.

If anything, the difference would be much more noticeable on a turbo engine, as the turbo has less restriction, and can spool faster under any condition versus a stock exhaust.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think aftermarket exhausts are fine, as long as the user understands that the gains are minimal and this is mostly an aesthetic enhancement.

Of course, I change my mind every time I get behind/beside an idiot that lives his life from underpass to underpass with these things.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:46 PM
J2S2M

For better performance, you are better off going with a quality HFC or TP than swapping out your exhaust.

However, IMO the pure sexiness and joy to the ear factor that you get from an aftermarket exhaust is much more worthwhile than the slight better performance you get from a HFC or a TP.

Buth then again, if you can afford to do both.. than more power to ya!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:24 PM
J2S2M

I dropped the car off yesterday afternoon around 3pm. Met with Alex & Ted to discuss the possible designs for the exhaust. I had a good time chatting with Alex for a while. According to our conversation, it looks like they will be utilizing a dual chamber muffler on the sedans also in order to make a true dual set up for the sedans just like the coupes. I know that our muffler set up is very different from the coupes, so I think they will need to do quite a bit of work and R&D to make things work right. They will be performing a preliminary test fit today and tomorrow, then will be sending it off for the final design to produce a prototype version in Korea. We should have the prototype ready before 2 months. Then they will have me come out again for the final fitment to make any final adjustments, then will be sending it back out for final production. All in all, realistic time frame on the project until final production, they are expecting about 5-6 months.

I've explained to Alex that the sedan guys are looking for a classy, yet sporty setup without it being overly flashy. I recommended him to make sure offer SS tips option and not just the titanium burnt tips which he agreed. As far as sound, this set up should give a nice sporty sound and not at all raspy.

I am sure he will give us better updates and provide some feedbacks after the preliminary fitting.

BTW I will be getting my car back Friday night. *anxious*
Old 03-09-2010, 06:19 PM
SoFresHSoCleaN
Registered Member

ANY updates???
Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 PM
J2S2M

Alex from ARK has video clips & pictures from the preliminary fitment. He told me that he'll be uploading them onto youtube and sending me the links. I will make another thread here and also on the g35driver.com to share the clips and pictures.

Come on Alex! Everyone wants to see!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:20 PM
J2S2M

Here is the first sound clip for you guys.. thanks to Alex. IMO it sounds perfect! Not at all raspy or too loud. Very sporty clean tone to it. This is all I got for now. Enjoy and let us know what you think!!!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/43o_HS_PMzI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/43o_HS_PMzI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 03-09-2010, 09:24 PM
bat6wc

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
will there be an awd version?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:27 PM
J2S2M

Not sure yet. I am sure that ARK will be willing to support you X guys if he knows that there is enough demand out there.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 PM
ARKperformance
Former Sponsor

We are confident that there are no drone and rasp with this unit.

Quick Reply: ARK PERFORMANCE INC : Done with the Coupe, Now with the Sedan as Promised.