G37 Sedan

New Oil Possibility for VQ37

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 AM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New Oil Possibility for VQ37

Is anyone trying the new Pennzoil Ultra in their VQ37? A guy on BITOG has already sent a VOA in for analysis. As soon as he posts it, I'll put the
numbers up in the "Definitive OIl Thread." The oil Guru's are estimating it's 35% PAO and 15% Ester. It should work great in the VQ 37. Under $7/quart at Walmart.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message -->
Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 PM
haganjeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the 'heads up" Jon. I started reading the threads on BITOG and liked what I learned. It has the Ester, plus seems to be an upgrade over the Nissan Oil.

I asked at the local auto parts stores and they didn't have it, but one guy had heard it was supposedly going to be an ultra premium full synthetic. Apparently, testing shows it is the best performing of all full synthetics. I actually found it at my local Wal Mart 20 minutes ago. it was $6.99 quart and $28 for the 5 QUART jug. They had just put it on the shelf as I asked about it. I picked up the 5 gallon jug and will be doing the 2nd oil change on the G37 in approximately 3 weeks. Apparently this stuff is very hard to find as only a hand full of guys on Bob Is The Guy have been able to get it.

Last edited by haganjeff; 02-12-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:21 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The nissan ester oil is a lot more than just ester additives - in fact, ester additives are the least important component of that oil - look at the patent summary:

NANOPARTICLE-CONTAINING LUBRICATING OIL COMPOSITIONS

(57) [Object] To provide a nanoparticle-containing lubri-
cating oil composition which demonstrates a low friction coefficient and realizes a further fuel economy.

[Solving Means] A nanoparticle-containing lubricating oil composition comprising a base oil, an additive hav- ing hydroxyl group, and nanoparticle. A nanoparticle- containing lubricating oil composition comprising a base oil, an ashless friction modifier having hydroxyl group, and nanoparticle. A nanoparticle-containing lubricating oil composition comprising a base oil, an additive having hydroxyl group, and nanoparticle having a particle diam- eterof1to100nm.Ananoparticle-containinglubricating oil composition comprising a base oil, an ashless friction modifier having hydroxyl group, and nanoparticle having a particle diameter of 1 to 100 nm.

----

The point of the Nissan oil are the 'ashless nanoparticles' - your G37 engine contains parts that are engineered to microscopic distances - the various and sundry moving parts are coated to with a material that is specifically intended to work with the nanoparticles in the Nissan oil to create an extremely low-friction surface, and is very effective, or at least for the life of the oil. It's a friction modifier. As somebody in the 370z forums said the Nissan engineers want to make sure their tricked-out valve train lasts 150,00 miles, and Nissan doesn't want to continuously replace engines, so this is what they came up with. I will gladly pay the extra 20 bucks or so that this oil costs imo...
Old 02-12-2010, 12:05 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by haganjeff
Thanks for the 'heads up" Jon. I started reading the threads on BITOG and liked what I learned. It has the Ester, plus seems to be an upgrade over the Nissan Oil.

I asked at the local auto parts stores and they didn't have it, but one guy had heard it was supposedly going to be an ultra premium full synthetic. Apparently, testing shows it is the best performing of all full synthetics. I actually found it at my local Wal Mart 20 minutes ago. it was $6.99 quart and $28 for the 5 gallon jug. They had just put it on the shelf as I asked about it. I picked up the 5 gallon jug and will be doing the 2nd oil change on the G37 in approximately 3 weeks. Apparently this stuff is very hard to find as only a hand full of guys on Bob Is The Guy have been able to get it.
$28 for 5 gallons?? or 5 quarts?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:44 AM
haganjeff

Originally Posted by Stoof@180Custom
$28 for 5 gallons?? or 5 quarts?
Good catch. 5 "Quart" jug!
Old 02-12-2010, 10:33 AM
JonfromCB

OZZY'. I couldn't agree more with you about the Nissan Oil. It's not about
the percentage or type of ester, it's about the nano particles suspended
in the ester and how it greatly reduces friction in the plasma coated VVEL components.

As we all know from the myriad of threads and posts, many VQ37 owners
aren't using the Nissan Oil, won't use it, and even argue that those who
do are fools. There are also alot of guys who know that Ester is a
superior choice for the VQs over the run-of-the-mill hydro-cracked
synthetics. This new Penzzoil looks to be a good alternative for
those who don't want to spend their money for Motul/Redline, or
other high/total ester oils but want something alot better than
Mobil1 in their engines.

Good catch guys....I meant to type $28 for five QUARTS, not gallons...sorry, my bad.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:43 PM
haganjeff

Below is Pennzoil's reply to my question about using the new Ultra product as an alternative to the Nissan Ester. Seems to be a go with much longer drain intervals. The oil analysis on BISTOG looks to be among the best that has been reported.

Dear Mr. Jeff Hagan;

Thank you for your interest in our products.
It has come to our attention that certain 2009 Nissan and Infiniti vehicles require a special "ester" motor oil. Upon further investigation, Nissan's requirement is for organic, friction-modifiers in the oil to provide lubrication for Diamond-Like Coated (DLC) engine parts. Esters are a class of organic friction modifiers that provide the performance needed to protect these coatings and engine surfaces. Nissan's general recommendation is for SAE 5W-30 engine oils in these vehicles.
The Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 oil uses the organic friction modifiers and are recommended for Nissan and Infinity vehicles requiring"ester"
motor oil.
Sincerely
Product Technical Service
Old 02-15-2010, 04:55 PM
colburs

I would appreciate if ten of you could volunteer for a test. Each of you has to take apart your engine and measure every part then put it back together. Five of you use Ester for 100k miles and five use Ultrafor 100k miles. Then take your motor apart again and remeasure and report out here. If you could all get this done before my next oil change I would appreciate it.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Hitdog540

What else would Pennzoil say.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Wongster
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hitdog540
What else would Pennzoil say.
Please do not buy our Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 oil. Using Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 oil in your 2009 Nissan or Infiniti will void your factory warranty.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:44 AM
JonfromCB

VOA on new PU

Here's a link to the first Virgin Oil Analysis (VOA) I've seen on
the new PU (Pennzoil Ultra). Stout stuff that should really
take some heat...check out the flashpoint.

Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 - Bob Is The Oil Guy
Old 02-17-2010, 05:09 PM
c4racer

I was at Walmart yesterday and they had this new Penzoil Ultra for $28 a 5-gallon jug, so I picked up 2. I will use one in the G37 this weekend which is coming up on 4K miles. I did the first change at 1200. Then I will probably do a dealer service at 7500 to have them fully check over the car. I will probably just have them use the Nissan Ester oil.

the other jug will go into our Mazda Protege5 - I just swapped the original 120K mile engine for a sub 40K Japanese take out because of a blown head-gasket. I noticed that the original motor had some amount of sludge and brownish oil film on the valvetrain and inside the head oil galley. We bought that car new and I did oil changes every 5-8K miles using conventional oils. I am thinking that is too long an interval for regular oil, even though the factory recommends 7500. So this time I will stick with synthetics and probably still go with the 7500 mile recommendation, since I am pretty confident good synthetics last at least that long.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:02 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Actually, I'd love to give the redline a try just once, but I just bought a Nissan ester oil change kit for 57 bucks form some performance place online. The funny thing is that all of these alternatives like motul, redline, amsoil - that all cost just as much if not more than the Nissan!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:05 PM
mindonmatter

Ultra in my G

I changed my oil saturday and used Pennzoil Ultra. I've never had any valvetrain noise problems, but it did actually sound a little quieter on start-up. I have noticed about a .5 mpg increase. I'm planning to get an oil analysis after 6k. Will report back then.

Just FYI. My first two oil changes were with conventional oil. I'm now at 6,500 miles. I use Mobil 1 oil filters.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:25 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the OP, I've been looking for a good ester-based synthetic, especially a domestic easy to find one. My first and current synthetic change is Motul Synthetic, 8100 XMax 5w30, which is good stuff and has an ester base but it's $$$ and a product of Europe, France I believe. If this Pennzoil does the job of having the ester additives and is a good synthetic, I may switch to this. Again thanks for the find. Please do keep us posted on the UOA.

Quick Reply: New Oil Possibility for VQ37