G37 Sedan

What is 'normal' for rust / oxidation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 01:17 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
What is 'normal' for rust / oxidation?

I was cleaning up my car, washing and waxing today, I went underneath (where I hadn't been in a while), and I noticed a few rusty items - some exhaust flanges, a few bolts, the metal support bars that hold up the exhaust in the rear of the car, the mid-pipe (I think) was getting pretty oxidized, and some additional bolts. - Is all of this fairly normal, or should I be worried? I am not a mechanic, so I don't have prior experience with knowing how various underbody parts are 'supposed' to react with the environment.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:36 PM
JohnsG37x

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
I was cleaning up my car, washing and waxing today, I went underneath (where I hadn't been in a while), and I noticed a few rusty items - some exhaust flanges, a few bolts, the metal support bars that hold up the exhaust in the rear of the car, the mid-pipe (I think) was getting pretty oxidized, and some additional bolts. - Is all of this fairly normal, or should I be worried? I am not a mechanic, so I don't have prior experience with knowing how various underbody parts are 'supposed' to react with the environment.

I had the same question a month after I got my car too.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ng-normal.html
Old 02-06-2010, 04:46 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
Yes that's perfectly normal.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:38 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

That is good to know - thank you for pointer to the thread, and the pics - mine doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the pics in the thread, though - that is pretty funky. I've had mine since June 2009, and it is very wet in the deep south, but no salt or corrosives on the road, thank God.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:47 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

After looking at those, I think I'm going to have to get a stainless catback. I can't stand rusty exhaust parts - I'm weird that way, but I think they look really unattractive. I wonder if the new Sport exhaust on the Infiniti website is a catback (Tannabe Medallion?)...I wonder if our stock headers get really rusty as well - my G8's headers got so rusty so fast, it was breathtaking, like some sort of magic trick.