G37 Sedan

Wood trim installed by dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:35 AM
domain311

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wood trim installed by dealer...

My selection won't allow the wood trim...only the aluminum. However, the dealer offers to install the wood for an extra cost. Does anyone have any experience with this? Just wondering if anyone has done this option and if they would recommend it...if it looks as good or very close to coming from the factory?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:56 AM
dpadman

How much is your dealer going to charge you? I want to switch to wood too, but have only found cheap overlays. If the dealer does it, it should turn out alright, right?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 AM
domain311

Back in November I think they told me 895 but were going to cut that in half if I bought...but I didn't. I saw one there that I thought looked ok but was wondering if anyone had this done and had long term experience with it. I think it is the overlays you are talking about though...its basically put on over the aluminum.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:23 AM
juicybusa

Can't speak to your specific situation but the dealer installed wood I've seen was not uhhhhh let's say very desirable. My advice-don't do it.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:34 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Name:  WOODGRAPHITE2.jpg
Views: 3023
Size:  77.3 KB
Name:  WOODGRAPHITE.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  DSC01637.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  91.9 KB
Name:  DSC01632.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  55.4 KB

Name:  DSC02359.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  110.5 KB

Name:  wooddealerwheat.jpg
Views: 3368
Size:  88.9 KB

it's a popular item
Old 01-30-2010, 11:40 AM
domain311

Thanks for the pics...what is the standard price you guys charge for the wood install? You personally think it comes out good?

I guess if you look closely you can see that it is on top of the original...just trying to figure out if thats gonna bother me down the road or not.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 AM
da mayor

Originally Posted by domain311
Thanks for the pics...what is the standard price you guys charge for the wood install? You personally think it comes out good?

I guess if you look closely you can see that it is on top of the original...just trying to figure out if thats gonna bother me down the road or not.
it does depend on which company the dealership is ordering their wood kits from. I've seen some that unfortunately from other dealers that look cheap. We sell ours for $695 for the 31-piece kits installed and warrantied for 4-years of fading and peeling.

But remember, every dealership is different.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:52 AM
pwlorraine

Real wood is nice - real aluminum is nice as well. Putting real wood trim in would look good but I don't think an overlay belongs in this car. Its always the owner's choice and if the pattern really appeals to you then you should do it. You wouldn't buy a nice piece of furniture with a wood grain sticker on it - I think it will just make the fit and finish of the car look cheap .... don't do it man. In one of the fast and furious films (one in tokyo I think) they used the metal overlays to rapidly customize a bunch of cars.

Peter
Old 01-30-2010, 12:05 PM
domain311

Originally Posted by pwlorraine
Real wood is nice - real aluminum is nice as well. Putting real wood trim in would look good but I don't think an overlay belongs in this car. Its always the owner's choice and if the pattern really appeals to you then you should do it. You wouldn't buy a nice piece of furniture with a wood grain sticker on it - I think it will just make the fit and finish of the car look cheap .... don't do it man. In one of the fast and furious films (one in tokyo I think) they used the metal overlays to rapidly customize a bunch of cars.

Peter
Yeah I hear ya...I'm afraid it will look cheap too. I just really prefer the wood over the aluminum finish and can't have it with my choice...then again I haven't seen a 2010 yet, I am only going by what I saw with the 2009 interiors...and I know they changed it slightly. Washi-shodo I think.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Mavendetout

What I did: Ordered a spankin new G37 Sedan (White) with rosewood trim option.

What happened: I am told that the dealer installed the trim which is a matte-finished rosewood. NOT glossy as in the fotos above. I am unaware of from whence came the inserts, etc.--factory, third party, etc.--though representation was that it was 'exactly as if installed by factory.' It may be, in fact that the dealers install ALL of them. i do NOT know if the trim was installed OVER the washi, or if the washi brushed metal trim was first removed, etc. I'll find out next service and report here.

Result; Extra cost was about $450, and the result breathtaking.

My advice: First, get an INFINITI DEALER to do it; see the kit if you can before installation, get the representations you need about installation and result, then go for it if that's what you want.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:36 AM
domain311

Originally Posted by Mavendetout
What I did: Ordered a spankin new G37 Sedan (White) with rosewood trim option.

What happened: I am told that the dealer installed the trim which is a matte-finished rosewood. NOT glossy as in the fotos above. I am unaware of from whence came the inserts, etc.--factory, third party, etc.--though representation was that it was 'exactly as if installed by factory.' It may be, in fact that the dealers install ALL of them. i do NOT know if the trim was installed OVER the washi, or if the washi brushed metal trim was first removed, etc. I'll find out next service and report here.

Result; Extra cost was about $450, and the result breathtaking.

My advice: First, get an INFINITI DEALER to do it; see the kit if you can before installation, get the representations you need about installation and result, then go for it if that's what you want.
Thanks...I think you can usually tell if it was placed right on top of the original trim, just by looking closely at it. I'm curious though what exactly was done with yours...isn't the maple the "Interior Accents Package" straight from the factory?

Any pics possible?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:40 AM
da mayor

Thanks...I think you can usually tell if it was placed right on top of the original trim, just by looking closely at it. I'm curious though what exactly was done with yours...isn't the maple the "Interior Accents Package" straight from the factory?

Any pics possible?

Thanks.
the maple wood accents are from the factory but only for the 2010, not for 2009
Old 02-01-2010, 12:05 PM
domain311

Originally Posted by da mayor
the maple wood accents are from the factory but only for the 2010, not for 2009
My problem is I'm getting the 6MT so I guess I would have to get the overlays?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 PM
da mayor

My problem is I'm getting the 6MT so I guess I would have to get the overlays?
or wait till you find a totalled 2010 with it?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:12 PM
G35Rhino

The rosewood had always been matte and IMO much better looking than the glossy overlays (which remind me of a cheap *** Chrysler product from the late 90's). I wanted rosewood journey sport for my 2009 bit alas a crappy economy changed all that with excessive order lead times for a car like I wanted.

Quick Reply: Wood trim installed by dealer...