G37 Sedan

New 2009 G37 advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 PM
spartanforever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2009 G37 advice

i'm looking at buying a new 2009 g37 sedan (Journey with premium), and I need some serious input.

I drive a 328 coupe now and was planning to get a new used 2009 328 sedan for around 30K out the door. But I decided to test drive the G37 to keep my options open, and I really liked the way it drove and handled.

I want some advice on two fronts -

1) Price - The starting quote the dealer has given me is 31,605 + taxes, etc. ($6,500 of MSRP -) I live in Cali, and Arnold has us by the ***** (excuse my french) so works out close to almost +11.5% in tax,license, etc. From what I'm reading in these forums, it seems like people have almost gotten close to 10K off MSRP.

What do you think about this price, I'm going to ask him for 30K out the door, or just walk.

2) Reliability - I haven't been able to find much info on this. I know this is subjective but what is the reliability factor on infinitis? Are there any common/blatant problems which I need to be aware of? (For ex. the 335i has its fuel pump fail all the time). How much are the maintenance expenses? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much all!!

Last edited by spartanforever; 01-28-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:18 PM
c4racer

Originally Posted by spartanforever
i'm looking at buying a new 2009 g37 sedan (Journey with premium), and I need some serious input.

I drive a 328 coupe now and was planning to get a new used 2009 328 sedan for around 30K out the door. But I decided to test drive the G37 to keep my options open, and I really liked the way it drove and handled.

Where I want some advise is on two fronts -

1) Price - The starting quote the dealer has given me is 31,605 + taxes, etc. ($6,500 of MSRP -) I live in Cali, and Arnold has us by the ***** (excuse my french) so works out close to almost +11.5% in tax,license, etc. From what I'm reading in these forums, it seems like people have almost gotten close to 10K off MSRP.

What do you think about this price, I'm going to ask him for 30K out the door, or just walk.

2) Reliability - I haven't been able to find much info on this. I know this is subjective but what is the reliability factors on infinitis? Are there any common/blatant problems which I need to be aware of? (For ex. the 335i has its fuel pump fail all the time). How much are the maintenance expenses? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much all!!
I purchased a new 2009 Journey w/o premium from Beshoff in SJ for $6500 off sticker. I tried to get $7K off but they were not going for it and had several other folks coming in to look at that specific car that day. One of them came in just after I committed to buy the car and then left, so I think that was serious. This was on 12-30 however, which was one day before the Federal sales tax deduction would be expiring. I think now you may have more bargaining power - there is no glut of buyers forced by anything expiring and those cars are just getting older and older as the 2010's start to roll on it. Plus the premium pkg cars are more expensive than the lower optioned car I was looking at. Mine came out to around $29K plus tax, license - which is more like 10.5% where I live IIRC. Ya - I agree it's way too much!! At least for me the nearly $3K in sales tax will be deductable from last years taxes!!

so maybe you could get $7500 off sticker. Not sure about $10K off when 1-2 year old cars are selling for more than that around here. I guess you could try, but I think Bay Area dealers are smart enough to know these cars will eventually sell around here, so they are not going to totally give them away.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 PM
spartanforever

Originally Posted by c4racer
I purchased a new 2009 Journey w/o premium from Beshoff in SJ for $6500 off sticker. I tried to get $7K off but they were not going for it and had several other folks coming in to look at that specific car that day. One of them came in just after I committed to buy the car and then left, so I think that was serious. This was on 12-30 however, which was one day before the Federal sales tax deduction would be expiring. I think now you may have more bargaining power - there is no glut of buyers forced by anything expiring and those cars are just getting older and older as the 2010's start to roll on it. Plus the premium pkg cars are more expensive than the lower optioned car I was looking at. Mine came out to around $29K plus tax, license - which is more like 10.5% where I live IIRC. Ya - I agree it's way too much!! At least for me the nearly $3K in sales tax will be deductable from last years taxes!!

so maybe you could get $7500 off sticker. Not sure about $10K off when 1-2 year old cars are selling for more than that around here. I guess you could try, but I think Bay Area dealers are smart enough to know these cars will eventually sell around here, so they are not going to totally give them away.
Thanks...funny that I went to the same dealer! And there are about 2 G37's left. What do you think about your car so far? How's the mpg and above all how's the dealership customer service post purchase?

My sales guy bored the hell out of me before he actually showed me the car!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
FWIW, I'm also in CA, and I too recently purchased an 09 (prem/nav/illuminated kickplates/splash guards) AND 7yr/100k warranty. The car was almost 40k and the warranty was another 2k. I got it at 39k OTD.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:35 PM
redwillow
Registered Member

$6500 off does not sound like enough... but I think $10,000 may be hard to obtain. The market varies by region so i would guess that they would be discounted less in CA compared to most other areas. The options on the car also affect how much they will discount it.

I got my new 2009 G37 coupe for $8000 off msrp 3 weeks ago. This was an almost $45k loaded sport, which i guess are much harder for them to sell.
I also had a $650 rebate coupon from infiniti directly, so i got that back on top of the 8k off.

I saw an ad from a dealership offering $6500 off any 2009 g37... so i used that as a starting point for the pricing. Then I found another dealership willing to go $7500 off, and I finally got my local dealership to beat that by $500 so $8000 off.

It sounds like your offer of 30k is around $8000 off, so I think that offer would be fair.

This is in FL and I did not trade in a car and I did not use dealership financing.

Last edited by redwillow; 01-28-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:16 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I can almost assure you that you won't get it for 30k OTD. That's almost 12k off. But hey, make them an offer and see what happens I guess.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:50 AM
c4racer

Originally Posted by spartanforever
Thanks...funny that I went to the same dealer! And there are about 2 G37's left. What do you think about your car so far? How's the mpg and above all how's the dealership customer service post purchase?

My sales guy bored the hell out of me before he actually showed me the car!
Great car, although to be honest I have only driven it a few times. Wife has put close to 2K miles on it in a month tho.

Anyway - pretty damn nice car for $30K, IMHO. Not much else can compare for the price. I was looking at CPO BMW E90's and decided this G37 was 90% of the car and could get a new car with better long term reliability prospects vs. a 2-3 year old BMW with ~30K miles or so. Plus I was not even looking at 335i because those turbo motors scare me - would not want to own one out of warrantee. G37 has similar power to the 335i, yet I was comparing to used 330, 328 and 325i's so that made it even more compelling to get the G. One month later I still think it was the right move, for whatever that is worth.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:57 AM
c4racer

Originally Posted by redwillow
$6500 off does not sound like enough... but I think $10,000 may be hard to obtain. The market varies by region so i would guess that they would be discounted less in CA compared to most other areas. The options on the car also affect how much they will discount it.

I got my new 2009 G37 coupe for $8000 off msrp 3 weeks ago. This was an almost $45k loaded sport, which i guess are much harder for them to sell.
I also had a $650 rebate coupon from infiniti directly, so i got that back on top of the 8k off.

I saw an ad from a dealership offering $6500 off any 2009 g37... so i used that as a starting point for the pricing. Then I found another dealership willing to go $7500 off, and I finally got my local dealership to beat that by $500 so $8000 off.

It sounds like your offer of 30k is around $8000 off, so I think that offer would be fair.

This is in FL and I did not trade in a car and I did not use dealership financing.
Good luck. It might work out. I've bought a lot of cars and I am in sales myself. I was dealing directly with the sales manager, and I offered $7500 off thinking they might meet me half way. He told me straight up that $6500 was their absolute bottom line and they were quite confident the cars would sell for that. My read of the guy was he was not BSing me - that was his true line in the sand. I decided it wasn't worth wasting time over $1K and just bought the damn thing. Because it was the only non premium car left, so all the other cars where $2K more MSRP and I didn't want to pay that much. I also liked this color. So I grabbed the deal. I didn't buy any other stuff with it - just the car.

Anyway - they had more than 10 left at that time and they have 2 left now. I don't think they are too worried about discounting them more than $6500 to move them - clearly they are moving. Give it a try and see what happens, you never know. But figure out if buying at $6500 off is worth it or not before you go in since I think there is a good chance that is all you are going to get off. The cars they have left are in the $37-38K sticker range too, not $45K - that makes a big difference.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:58 AM
alpha27

I got mine for 31890 fully loaded prem. with navi. Go check out miller infiniti and speak to cordova and say ray sent you there.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:16 AM
D'oh

I'm in a similar position as the OP (but have 1 year to wait). Considering a CPO BMW or new Infiniti. I'm much more concerned about BMW reliability than Nissan/Infiniti.

I currently have a 2003 350Z with over 150,000 miles. I've put ~2000 miles on the track, and have done many AutoX with the car. It has held up very well, with only typical maintenance. The main problems have been:
Wheel bearings (trackdays)
Transmission (just replaced @ 145,000 miles - also due to trackdays)
Front Wiper motor (also replaced @ 145,000 miles).

The transmission was still working, but was getting clunky to shift and noisy. Cost $2000 for a new one.

I know it isn't a G, but the Z and G share a common platform and I am strongly leaning toward the G due to my good experience with the Z.

-D'oh!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:59 AM
IgS

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha27
I got mine for 31890 fully loaded prem. with navi. Go check out miller infiniti and speak to cordova and say ray sent you there.
Is that OTD or before tax?
if its OTD thats a hell of a deal
Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess 10K off is stretching it a bit, but you never know. You're obviously more likely to get that much off if you're getting it fully loaded, but if it's more basic, I'd whittle down my expectations a bit.

Damn, G's can be had for so cheap now. I got mine for 39K before TTL...then again, that was back in 07 so it was a great deal then...
Old 01-29-2010, 02:22 PM
stuckintraffic

My lease on my '07 bmw 328 coupe (w/ sport, nav, prem, ipod) is over soon. I bought a 2010 g37s (sedan, sport, nav, prem) this month. I looked at '09 bmw 335 sedan (sport, nav, prem) and '09 g37 (nav, prem, wheel locks, alarm, kick pads, etc but non-sport), 2010 audi a4, audi q5, and infiniti ex35 before pulling the trigger on the '10 so hopefully I can be of help.

To answer your first question, the '09 g37 sedan w/ prem, nav, plus a few minor options
was quoted to me at 32,690 in december so compare against that. I'm confident you can get a lower price based on your quote and specs.

To answer your second question I went w/ infiniti over bmw because 1) my friends and co-workers who own g's can vouch for its reliability and lower cost of ownership, and 2) my friends, coworkers, and research do not give me any confidence in the x35 (N54 engines)'s reliability, especially after warranty. However, since you're looking at another 328, I can say that its a good buy and has been very reliable for me. I just wanted more power, more toys, and peace of mind, all for less so I went w/ infiniti over 328 and 335.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:39 PM
alpha27

Originally Posted by IgS
Is that OTD or before tax?
if its OTD thats a hell of a deal
before tax....
Old 02-01-2010, 09:41 AM
jwoods986

I bought the same car (G37 sedan Journey w/Prem) on 12/26 for $29,888, before TTL, which was a little over $7200 off sticker ($37,125). But there might be regional price differences, so $6500 might be good where you are. What are other dealers in your area selling them at? Here's a link to the deals here in GA: Roswell Infiniti - Roswell, GA, if you wanted to try and use them for negotiation, but since we are in totally different areas of the country, it might not help.

Reliability seems to be good on the G, certainly better than a 3-series, C-class, etc. And you get a lot more for your money - for what you pay for a G37 w/prem, you would be getting a pretty low-option 328 or C300, unless you go used. And I would rather have a brand-new Infiniti than a used German car (and this is from someone that loves German cars).

Last edited by jwoods986; 02-01-2010 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: New 2009 G37 advice