G37 Sedan

X - on/off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:40 AM
IgS

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X - on/off?

Hey guys

might be a silly question (and i did try searching for it, but there are too many threads and very hard to find info im looking for )

but,

on the 09 g37X i was told by the dealer that the "snow" button completely turns off the AWD and puts 100% to RWD. Is that true? I tried it when it snowed and it does make a big difference, i just wasnt sure if it completely turns off the power to the front wheels and lets them spin freely?
and can you do a regular dyno with the X or do you HAVE to use the AWD dyno?

thx
-IgS
Old 01-26-2010, 12:49 AM
GT-R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

READ THIS: It should answer all of your quesitons:

The ATTESA system is designed for smooth starts, better fuel economy and better traction and maneuverability on snowy roads than conventional all-wheel drive systems and minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance characteristics on dry roads.

The system's advanced torque split control strategy automatically transfers optimum torque to the wheels according to road and driving conditions. It provides outstanding cornering capability similar to a sports car due to optimum torque distribution to the front and rear wheels (from approximately 0:100 up to 50:50).

System sensors continuously monitor vehicle speed, throttle position and wheel spin (at all four wheels). When road conditions don't require AWD, the G35/G37 acts and feels like the award-winning rear-wheel drive G35/G37 sedan, with the system capable of sending up to 100 percent of the power to the rear wheels. The G35/G37 thus offers minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance and handling feel.

From a standing start, the ATTESA system adjusts the front-to-rear torque distribution, adding 25 percent to the front wheels for a more powerful start. The system then quickly adjusts torque distribution as needed, sending up to 100 percent to the rear wheels if conditions warrant, or adjusting the front drive percentage up to 50 percent as needed.

In cornering situations, the ATTESA system can detect traction needs throughout the course of a turn and react accordingly. With its millisecond response time, the system can shift toque back and forth between the front and rear wheels to help enhance stability and traction. For example, in entering a corner (under normal driving conditions), the system functions nearly the same as any rear-wheel drive car. Torque distribution is almost 100 percent rear. Once in the corner, the system is able to transfer to the front wheels that portion of the drive torque that the rear wheels can't handle. This results in outstanding, sports car-like cornering ability. When exiting the corner, torque can be quickly transferred according to the wheel spin of the rear wheels from 50:50 up to 0:100 for smooth acceleration out of the turn.

Another unique feature of the G35/G37 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.

I hope this clears up any confusion.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:04 AM
IgS

Thanks, yea i guess it does. Looks like the dealer didnt really know what he was talking about... as I gather its impossible to completely turn off the AWD sensitivity
Old 01-26-2010, 01:10 AM
GT-R

Not sure why you would want to change the AWD's sensitivity, but you can probably disable it by removing the front drive-shaft or pulling a fuse for the ATTESA's electronic clutch. Otherwise, you must use an AWD dyno.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:48 AM
beerme986

so according to the dealer, snow button = summer mode(rwd)? yea ok

if it put the car in 100% rwd, it would be the complete opposite of optimal snow traction.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 AM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should call the dealer and complain about the training their salesmen get. They obviously aren't getting much.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:42 AM
wingzero1

Originally Posted by IgS
Hey guys

i was told by the dealer that the "snow" button completely turns off the AWD and puts 100% to RWD.

-IgS
This made me chuckle...not at you but how ridiculous some of these salesmen are. The guys got it a 100% backwards! Probably why car salesmen are disliked so much...their full of BS. As to your questions...GTR got it covered nicely.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Hi Alt G

This dealer is as clueless as the one we discussed earlier with respect to the snow mode button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allagaroo View Post
My dealer advised to just use snow mode if your stuck. Did you try any of those maneuvers with snow mode off?

Response:
Another fail by a dealer who can't read the owners manual of the product that he sells. See page 2-29 (2009). "For driving or starting on snowy roads or slippery areas, turn on the SNOW MODE switch." IMO the "snow mode" seems to work very well; this winter I have used it a lot.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 PM
mw09g37

yeah most dealerships don't bother with the "training modules" to make sure their sales people know everything about their cars. You can tell... I mean I always make comments and questions, to evaluate the a sales person's knowledge of what their talking about. You'd be surprised how much BS arises are a result.

Some are good tho. There are definitely some that are really knowledgeable. You just have to make sure you're not going in blind.

but yeah the iATTESSA AWD system drives in RWD but has the ability to push up to 50% of the power to the other wheels as standard. You can actually disable it electronically, but that'd be stupid.... and the snow button def doesn't do that... why would the "snow" button put the car from being capable of driving in snow, to not being able to drive in the snow at all... that's retarded.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by GT-R
READ THIS: It should answer all of your quesitons:

Another unique feature of the G35/G37 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.

I hope this clears up any confusion.
Almost. Do we know whether the throttle sensitivity remains in place at all speeds or does it also "end" at 12 mph with the special torque-split? The Japanese tendency to spike the throttle for "fake" initial tip-in response (as opposed to European cars that tend to use a linear throttle) combined with the G's ridiculously short gearing means that the car is actually more pleasant to drive in normal or heavy traffic conditions with Snow Mode on! Otherwise you are driving up the bumper of the car in front of you with only the slightest touch of the throttle.

Reducing throttle sensitivity at all speeds on slippery surfaces would be a sensible approach, but I am not sure if Infiniti implemented it that way?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:31 PM
stardust
Premier Member

Originally Posted by IgS
i was told by the dealer
Would that dealer be the 100% worthless Infiniti of Lisle?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:57 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Almost. Do we know whether the throttle sensitivity remains in place at all speeds or does it also "end" at 12 mph with the special torque-split? The Japanese tendency to spike the throttle for "fake" initial tip-in response (as opposed to European cars that tend to use a linear throttle) combined with the G's ridiculously short gearing means that the car is actually more pleasant to drive in normal or heavy traffic conditions with Snow Mode on! Otherwise you are driving up the bumper of the car in front of you with only the slightest touch of the throttle.

Reducing throttle sensitivity at all speeds on slippery surfaces would be a sensible approach, but I am not sure if Infiniti implemented it that way?
From my experience it reduces throttle sensitivity at all speeds. Whenever isnow mode is on my car feels sluggish regardless of the speed.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:39 PM
GT-R

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Do you own an X? If so, you should easily be able to test your theory.

But like JohnEnglish said, I think it works at all speeds, even above 12 MPH.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:49 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
i tell people go get a straw and take a sip of your drink.... now hold the straw withyour fingers... thats what the snow mode does... recalibrate the gas pedal so you have less gas going to the car ...
Old 01-26-2010, 11:46 PM
IgS

haha o wow i feel stupid. I meant to say that leaving the "Snow" button in off disables the AWD. It was late when i wrote that.
Just thought it was like on/off switch that has 100% RWD that never transfer anything to the fronts when off and uses the ATTESA system when on.
Thx for the answers guys, and sorry for the confusion.

I do agree with the dealers providing BS info to people, just today this guy at the service department was complaining how the dealer sold him additional warranty which had coverage just like the factory one. Boy was he surprised when he found out it wasnt...

Quick Reply: X - on/off?