G37 Sedan

Shodo vs. Washi

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:50 PM
VernSchillinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shodo vs. Washi

Does anyone have pics comparing the new Shodo Aluminum trim on the 2010s vs. the existing Washi trim? Am trying to determine if there is any meaningful difference as I attempt to resolve my more broader predicament re: waiting several months for a Sport Package Sedan with Maple Accents or settle for the Shodo Aluminum trim. I've seen the Washi trim in the 2009s, but have not seen the Shodo trim.

DaMayer, others, please chime in. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:55 PM
328HP

Originally Posted by uwnav
IMHO.. Shodo >>>> Washi
Shodo looks like brushed metal and Washi looks like random scratches.

I thought Shodo looked very good
I have to agree with you. I had an 08 with the wood trim now have a 2010 with the Shodo with black interior. Went with a G37xS with Nav, black on black. I normally prefer wood but the Shodo feels more upscale to the 08 wood and works well with the black interior. I think Shodo = Maple IMO, you cant go wrong with either.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:08 PM
09GMAN

I am actually not a fan of the Shodo. I think the Washi looks much better IMO and has a nice contrast esp with darker interior. The Shodo with darker interior is to plain to me, blends all together.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 PM
VernSchillinger

Heading to the local dealership. Will report back with my findings.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:45 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the Obi Silk the best by far.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:27 AM
VernSchillinger

Spent several hours at the dealer yesterday. The final verdict will likely be the Maple trim with.......no sport package ......but rather, the 18" wheel and tire package which is the same design as the 2009 sport model.

The maple trim is absolutely beautiful....no other way to describe it. The car is for my sister and after test driving both Sport and Non-sport versions, this is the conclusion I reached. Had it been myself, I would have gone for the sport package. That being said, I must say that the seats felt really confining in the sport package car and I am not a big person at all (5" 9, 165lbs).

A couple of very rationale reasons for going with a non-sport + wheel and tire package for sis.

1. Sis wants a bit of a luxurious look.....the maple trim definitely fits that bill.....did I mention its beautiful

2. Ride quality with the non-sport shocks is markedly better...even with the 18" wheels. Yet, the car still has very sporty feel.....just a bit more body roll. The slightly narrower width of the rear tires on the 18" wheel and tire package (225 vs. 245) results in a slightly taller aspect ratio, which will also marginally contributes to improved ride quality.

3. The tires on the wheel and tire package are high performance all season Dunlop Sport Maxx A/S, vs. the super sticky, summer only, potenzas 050s. More importantly, the tires are not staggered, which permits rotation. These two facts by themselves will result in significantly lower running costs over the life of the vehicle. With the sport package, I concluded that she would have to replace, on average, 2 tires (at roughly $350/piece) every 18 months.

4. The cost of brake rotors and pad replacement will be lower in the non-sport car. The brake performance is probably identical in both cars (all other factors being equal....i.e. tires etc.) other than the fact that the sport brakes would likely be more fade resistant. Not a factor for the Sis, or for that matter most people, unless your track the car. The sport calipers do look very cool though!

As I said, had it been me, I would have likely ended up with the sport package (assuming I could get over the seat issue). But for my sis, this is the right configuration.

The only thing that I thought was better on the sport package car was the slightly heavier steering rack and quicker ratio. The paddle shifters looked really cool on the sport, but my sister would probably never ever use them.

Hope to get a deal done by this weekend. Exterior color will be Graphite Shadow with graphite leather and maple. Am VPP eligible and there is a $1,500 customer cashback incentive, so should come out looking good pricewise.

Oh yeah, to get back on topic, the shodo looked a bit better than the Washi, but not a meaningful difference. You'd have to have two cars, side-by-side, to notice the difference. Now the honeycomb texture on the M sedan.....that is hot!!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Arvig

Sounds like it will be a great car for her.

As for the aluminum trim, my "local" dealer is 45 minutes away, so I haven't seen Shodo in person, just the Washi in my car. But going by a photo of the shodo, I like the washi more overall, at least with the graphite black interior. For me it's also not a very strong preference at all, if my car had the shodo instead I'd not exactly complain.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:43 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
are there any pictures of the new trim anywhere?
Old 01-26-2010, 03:16 PM
328HP

Originally Posted by finagle69
are there any pictures of the new trim anywhere?
I will post pictures if I find time tonight or if someone does not beat me to it. This is a topic that will be running for a long time

Shodo FTW
Old 01-26-2010, 03:57 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Go to infinitiusa.com, then G sedan, photos & 360*, and then interior photos. The 8th picture and the last picture should give you a good idea what the Shodo trim looks like. IMO, better than the Washi, which looks like it's lightly scratched.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:47 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ah ok. thanks for that. looks like long wavy brushed strokes?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:49 PM
VernSchillinger

Originally Posted by Arvig
Sounds like it will be a great car for her.

As for the aluminum trim, my "local" dealer is 45 minutes away, so I haven't seen Shodo in person, just the Washi in my car. But going by a photo of the shodo, I like the washi more overall, at least with the graphite black interior. For me it's also not a very strong preference at all, if my car had the shodo instead I'd not exactly complain.
Closed the deal last week. Much to my surprise, sis wanted the sport package. Final configuration was as follows:

2010 G37 Sedan
Smoky Quartz
Graphite Interior
Maple Wood
Premium Package
Navigation Package
Sport Package
Splash Guards (Sport)
Trunk Mat
Trunk Net

The Smoky Quartz with the maple trim is really nice. Also, her vehicle is clear proof that the maple wood can be had with the sport package without special ordering.

OTD price.....everything, sales tax, tag, destination etc.....$38,973.54.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:56 PM
VernSchillinger

Originally Posted by VernSchillinger

OTD price.....everything, sales tax, tag, destination etc.....$38,973.54.
Should have added........final priced compared to full MSRP of $44,356.21, inclusive of sales tax, tag, destrination etc.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:04 PM
rllrll

Thanks for the information.
I live in Florida we pay 6%. What was your state tax percent.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:08 PM
VernSchillinger

Originally Posted by rllrll
Thanks for the information.
I live in Florida we pay 6%. What was your state tax percent.
North Carolina: 3%.

Quick Reply: Shodo vs. Washi