G37 Sedan

Took a look at the 2010 G37S sedan today

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Comiha22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smokey Quartz looks a lot like Platinum Graphite to me; is there really a difference?
Old 01-26-2010, 11:32 AM
VernSchillinger

Originally Posted by Comiha22
Smokey Quartz looks a lot like Platinum Graphite to me; is there really a difference?
Big difference.....if you see them in person, the smoky quartz is a brown color vs. the platinum graphite being more of a gray.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:08 PM
pwlorraine

I love the Audi S4 - beautiful inside and out. Audi interiors are beautifuly styled with top quality materials - the leather is of higher quality than Infiniti's for example and lasts much better. Very German feel - firmer seats, satisfying door "thunk". The other factors are fold-down rear seats in the Audi and all-wheel drive. I think the Infiniti is a better value but if both were the same price I'd certainly take the Audi. I love driving Audi's - reliability issues included in the equation.

I've gone from being a two Audi family to a two BMW and one Infiniti family. My wife's X3 lease is coming up next month and I'd like to see her get an EX35, an Audi Q5, or g37x or A4 sedan. I think we'll wind up in the EX35. I'm very impressed by Infiniti, I do miss the technical support available in the Audi forums - people recoding RNS-E nav systems, vag-com, etc.

Peter
Old 01-28-2010, 12:40 AM
c4racer

Interesting thread. I have a 2005 S4 Avant (that's a wagon for you non Audi folks ) with the 340hp V8 and 6 speed manual trans. It is a really sweet car - I love it. Mine has been dead reliable with now 85K miles, and still on the original clutch. To the OP - I would suggest that it would not be the end of the world to own this car out of warrantee, but that's just me. I am also a strong mechanic so I do most if not all my own maint and repair work.

We recently picked up a 2009 G37 sedan that my wife has been driving. I have not spent much time driving it yet, but it is a very nice car. I had the same impression - 90% of a BMW E90 for much less money. It was basically the difference between buying new and buying a CPO with 25-30K miles on it. Not to mention I worry about the newer highly electronic intensive BMW's and how they will hold up over time. I think long term reliability prospects with Infiniti are much better. So all told, it was a no-brainer decision for us as well.

My wife is planning to continue driving her Mazda Protege5 wagon once I finish installing a new engine for most of her weekly grunt driving. So the G37 will be our weekend family car and a back-up for both of us. I may end up driving it to work a few days a week. I look forward to that.

I also have a X5 4.6is.

With the G37 addition I am now contemplating selling either the X5 or the S4, although I really do like them both. But I'd like to get a sports car of some sort - M3 or Z4M most likely.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:54 AM
pwlorraine

G37 sedan would be perfect for us if it had fold down rear seats or a ski pass through. We just need to be able to get 3 people in the car with skis once in a while - the rest of the time its just me and my wife.

If I had to drive any of the four cars you've got on a given day, I'd drive the S4. I sold my 2000 A6 2.7T when I bought the g37 vert on Dec 31 - that made four cars for us and was one too many. Prior to that, we'd take the A6 on ski or other out of town trips - I had installed an RNS-E nav unit and video player in the glove box - because it was so much more comfortable than the X3 - fun to drive even after 10 years with one suspension refresh somewhere in the middle - and the interior looked mint. I'd still spend 1500-2000 a year keeping it running though.

Peter
Old 01-28-2010, 12:10 PM
c4racer

Originally Posted by pwlorraine
G37 sedan would be perfect for us if it had fold down rear seats or a ski pass through. We just need to be able to get 3 people in the car with skis once in a while - the rest of the time its just me and my wife.

If I had to drive any of the four cars you've got on a given day, I'd drive the S4. I sold my 2000 A6 2.7T when I bought the g37 vert on Dec 31 - that made four cars for us and was one too many. Prior to that, we'd take the A6 on ski or other out of town trips - I had installed an RNS-E nav unit and video player in the glove box - because it was so much more comfortable than the X3 - fun to drive even after 10 years with one suspension refresh somewhere in the middle - and the interior looked mint. I'd still spend 1500-2000 a year keeping it running though.

Peter
The lack of fold down seats is certainly a bummer - I carry a bike and musical equipment with me all the time, which is why the S4 works so well for me. Even M3's have that feature, however.

We have had 4 cars for a long time, but one has normally been a hot rod or race car. I sold my last road race car last year, and had planned to stick with 3 cars for awhile. Right up until our Mazda puked a motor. I am fixing that now, but it is unclear if that car will be 100% reliable, so decided a new car was a good idea. Over-all our household drives 45-50K miles per year, and we are adding a teenage driver this year so we will have 3 drivers and 4 cars.

I am not sure if I will keep the S4 or not. It is a great car and my favorite daily driver since my E36 M3 sedan. But the X5 is a better utility vehicle and has more passenger space and comfort than either the S4 or G37 has, and rides a lot better too. S4 is a rather rough riding car. Which I like when I'm alone in the car, but not when carrying other people. X5 rides really nice on the highway, as does the G37 for that matter. So if I keep the S4 and swap the X5 for a sports car then I have two rough riding sports cars. Maybe that's OK. haven't decided yet.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:16 PM
328HP

Originally Posted by c4racer
The lack of fold down seats is certainly a bummer - I carry a bike and musical equipment with me all the time, which is why the S4 works so well for me. Even M3's have that feature, however.

We have had 4 cars for a long time, but one has normally been a hot rod or race car. I sold my last road race car last year, and had planned to stick with 3 cars for awhile. Right up until our Mazda puked a motor. I am fixing that now, but it is unclear if that car will be 100% reliable, so decided a new car was a good idea. Over-all our household drives 45-50K miles per year, and we are adding a teenage driver this year so we will have 3 drivers and 4 cars.

I am not sure if I will keep the S4 or not. It is a great car and my favorite daily driver since my E36 M3 sedan. But the X5 is a better utility vehicle and has more passenger space and comfort than either the S4 or G37 has, and rides a lot better too. S4 is a rather rough riding car. Which I like when I'm alone in the car, but not when carrying other people. X5 rides really nice on the highway, as does the G37 for that matter. So if I keep the S4 and swap the X5 for a sports car then I have two rough riding sports cars. Maybe that's OK. haven't decided yet.
Please feel free to label me a fan boy if you will but the G sedan is probably one of the most comfortable cars I have owned. If you start to redline it yes, it will not behave like a BMW but when I drive my family, I barely hit 75mph and the car is quiet and smooth. I am suprised you would call it a "rough riding sports car". I stand to be corrected and fellow G drivers can correct me if I am out of line here.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:23 PM
pwlorraine

We were at the Acura dealer looking at an RDX (in the running with the EX35) for my wife. Wind noise on the RDX was much higher than I expected. She also drove a TL SH-AWD which is very attractive inside. Very touchy throttle which she was struggling with - lurch-brake-lurch-brake - thought I was going to be ill. She didn't have that problem with my g37 vert or the EX35. Small ski pass through so it made it onto our list. The TL seems bigger than an A4 we drove a week or two back - I'm guessing its bigger than the G37 without checking the measurements. The new TL nav screen looks like the new one on the G37 - both Acura and Infiniti seem to have upgraded in a comparable fashion over the 09's.

Peter
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 PM
c4racer

Originally Posted by 328HP
Please feel free to label me a fan boy if you will but the G sedan is probably one of the most comfortable cars I have owned. If you start to redline it yes, it will not behave like a BMW but when I drive my family, I barely hit 75mph and the car is quiet and smooth. I am suprised you would call it a "rough riding sports car". I stand to be corrected and fellow G drivers can correct me if I am out of line here.
I was referring to the S4 as a rough riding sports car, not the G37. I agree. And I much prefer a mellow car like that while driving the family around. When I'm alone it is a lot more fun to be in a car like an M3 or S4. G37 is a great highway cruiser and family car!!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:46 PM
c4racer

We were at the Acura dealer looking at an RDX (in the running with the EX35) for my wife. Wind noise on the RDX was much higher than I expected. She also drove a TL SH-AWD which is very attractive inside. Very touchy throttle which she was struggling with - lurch-brake-lurch-brake - thought I was going to be ill. She didn't have that problem with my g37 vert or the EX35. Small ski pass through so it made it onto our list. The TL seems bigger than an A4 we drove a week or two back - I'm guessing its bigger than the G37 without checking the measurements. The new TL nav screen looks like the new one on the G37 - both Acura and Infiniti seem to have upgraded in a comparable fashion over the 09's.

Peter
The TL is driving the wrong wheels. Wrong answer!!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:54 PM
328HP

Originally Posted by c4racer
When I'm alone it is a lot more fun to be in a car like an M3 or S4.
I agree, Good luck with, you cannot go wrong with either of those 2
Old 01-29-2010, 08:37 PM
2009Black

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G37 sedan would be perfect for us if it had fold down rear seats or a ski pass through...snipped.

Peter
It does have a ski pass through.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:02 PM
pwlorraine

I found that out yesterday - we are going to look at a G37x tomorrow. I can't find a picture of it and didn't look closely last time I was in one. Not sure if we'll go for an 09 or a 10. EX35 is still in the running but I prefer a sedan on the highway to a spute. Anyone have a pic of the pass through or can tell me how many skis I can hope to fit?

Peter