G37 Sedan

Problem with auto climate control.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:31 AM
mindonmatter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problem with auto climate control.....

When I have my climate control set to Auto, it only blows out of the lower foot vents(and shows that accordingly on the display). It used to be set on bi-level when in Auto mode, but today when I went to work it's changed to the lower vents all of a sudden and I can't change it. If I try to switch the vent mode, it turns off the Auto control. What is the deal? Why would it just start doing this?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:33 AM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the temperature outside is lower than the temperature inside, the climate control blows air to the lower vents until your car engine reaches operating temperature; then the climate control will start blowing air from the upper vents.

This has been my experience with my car.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:43 AM
mindonmatter

Okay, that makes sense. Maybe I just didn't give it long enough, but I had been driving a good 15 minutes. My feet were starting to sweat!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:46 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
thats how auto does to warm the cabin faster... feet first..
Old 01-11-2010, 02:48 PM
SANTOS29

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep mine is the same lower first, than after 20 min or so it switches to the upper and lower position.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Mike S.

Yes...in "auto"...it picks where to send the air based on the temp you want.

If you manually change the "mode"...i.e..where it blows air, the auto light will go off. I'm not sure...but auto fan speed might be disabled then too.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Mockenrue

I find that the air is warm long before it switches to the top vents. When it's really cold outside, I manually switch modes after about 3 minutes. One slightly annoying thing is that some air still blows out of the far left upper vent even when it should be all from lower vents. It adds another step when switching modes because I have to keep opening and closing that vent. It might be just mine...
Old 01-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Mike S.

Originally Posted by Mockenrue
I find that the air is warm long before it switches to the top vents. When it's really cold outside, I manually switch modes after about 3 minutes. One slightly annoying thing is that some air still blows out of the far left upper vent even when it should be all from lower vents. It adds another step when switching modes because I have to keep opening and closing that vent. It might be just mine...
I think thats a design feature. Our Element does that too.

Its nice to have warm air blow along the cold "wall" of the door. Does the passenger side to that too? I've never checked.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:34 PM
hchan888

Originally Posted by Mockenrue
One slightly annoying thing is that some air still blows out of the far left upper vent even when it should be all from lower vents. It adds another step when switching modes because I have to keep opening and closing that vent. It might be just mine...
Can anyone confirm this? This happens to my 2009 G37 Coupe as well. I was thinking about asking my dealership to fix this problem along with some other problem. I was wondering if this happens with all of the G37's? For example, when I have my ventilation on for the feet, air comes in from the upper driver side ventilation even though it is not set for the upper vents to be on. I also checked the passenger side and there is no air coming out of that side. Only the driver side. Please let me know if this is normal! Thanks in advance!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 PM
stardust
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Mike S.
I think thats a design feature. Our Element does that too.

Its nice to have warm air blow along the cold "wall" of the door. Does the passenger side to that too? I've never checked.
All Hondas have done that since the late 80's or early 90's

I agree, its a great idea to have warm air blow around the doors

Originally Posted by hchan888
Can anyone confirm this? This happens to my 2009 G37 Coupe as well. I was thinking about asking my dealership to fix this problem along with some other problem. I was wondering if this happens with all of the G37's? For example, when I have my ventilation on for the feet, air comes in from the upper driver side ventilation even though it is not set for the upper vents to be on. I also checked the passenger side and there is no air coming out of that side. Only the driver side. Please let me know if this is normal! Thanks in advance!
Did you even bother reading the post directly above yours?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:27 PM
hchan888

Originally Posted by stardust
Did you even bother reading the post directly above yours?
What do you think? I was asking for others to confirm as that poster said "I think thats a design feature." Notice he said THINK. That's why I was asking for others to confirm...No need to be rude as I was never rude to you.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:24 PM
stardust
Premier Member

Originally Posted by hchan888
What do you think? I was asking for others to confirm as that poster said "I think thats a design feature." Notice he said THINK. That's why I was asking for others to confirm...No need to be rude as I was never rude to you.
I was asking you a simple question, just like you did. I see you replied with a rude comment too.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had many cars with auto climate control, and without exception, they blow on the feet when it's cold outside. Nothing is wrong, and the system is operating as it is designed.

If you change the temp setting to lowest, I think you'll find the air coming out of the front vents, as the air is cooler. Again, this is normal.

If you think back to when the air was blowing out bi-level, I think you'll find that it wasn't as cold outside as it is right now. You also might have had the temperature set a few degrees lower.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:35 AM
mossman

Originally Posted by 15951
I have had many cars with auto climate control, and without exception, they blow on the feet when it's cold outside. Nothing is wrong, and the system is operating as it is designed.

If you change the temp setting to lowest, I think you'll find the air coming out of the front vents, as the air is cooler. Again, this is normal.

If you think back to when the air was blowing out bi-level, I think you'll find that it wasn't as cold outside as it is right now. You also might have had the temperature set a few degrees lower.

This is true. Whenever the car is trying to warm the interior it will use the feet first. As a matter of fact in parts of the country that see real cold weather (like where I live) I go months without ever seeing the thing change from feet. Just the other day for the first time since last November, the system went to bi level. That's how I know spring is coming...

Even driving 5 hours to NY the system my never switch from feet. This is with outside temp of 20 to 30 degrees.

As a side note, some of you might be interested to know that when it is very very cold outside.. 0 degrees or below, this system switches from feet to defrost and feet after a few minutes. I think it is to keep ice from building up on the windshield at very cold temperatures. I have only seen it do this when it is around 0 degrees. It's a great feature I thought.