Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Water in rear left passenger footwell

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 05:44 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Water in rear left passenger footwell

My G spent the night in a torrential downpour a day ago. Now, I find that the rear left passenger footwell is soaked, with tons of water under the insulating layer of plastic ( I can hear it as I press on the carpet - sounds like a freaking water bed) - no evidence of rain getting in from a window or sunroof. Seems like it mIght be an issue with a drainage hose for the sunroof, doors or some other area. I am beside myself, though as the car is just so utterly soaked in this area, and there's no getting to the infniti dealer until MondY, of course.

So anybody have an ideas? And what I might be facing in terms of mold or mildew or other damage brought on by three days of standing water under the insulation in that area?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:12 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

The car also experienced the same issue a couple of days ago on a road trip, after a few light to medium downpours. That time, it was only lightly wet in that area, instead of utterly soaked and squishy. It really seems like it must be a drainage tube, maybe for the runoff from the windshield cowl area. My father-in-law said his Jetta experienced the exact same issue in the same place and it was a clogged drainage tube from the windshield drain. G8 guys I know have clogged AC drainage tubes that leak/clog in the same area.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:52 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

search is your friend, I guess. I found this thread about a poorly installed alarm with an unsealed firewall grommet: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...-in-the-g.html

I have an aftermarket subwoofer install. However, I don't think that's it since it's my rear footwell that's soggy, and not the front, or both.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:19 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Well, it looks like that's what it is - a craptastic install with a pulled-out grommet resulting in water into the car's floorpan. I guess I'll be visiting the stereo install place tomorrow, and calling my insurance tonight to file claim since this is not a warranty thing.

Meanwhile, my car sits with around a 1/4 inch of water in the floorpan on the driver's side until Monday, when everybody opens up. Must be great for the car. Of course, it's probably been like this for months, to a certain extent, before I got hit with a torrential downpour which filled it to a signficant, noticeable degree, so I guess 3 more days isn't going to make a huge difference.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:00 PM
mindonmatter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow I feel for you, that sucks. To be done right, you need to replace the carpet/padding, I'm sure you know. Good luck getting the shop to cover that bill. Maybe you can convince them to pay your deductible. Lucky for you it isn't summer time. Maybe the cool weather will delay any mold/mildew.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:19 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Thanks. It does suck. Let me and oOmikeyboy function as object lessons - if you every have aftermarket work done ALWAYS double check what they've done. If I had done my research, seen what could happen, and check and seen the grommet pulled-out, then I could have alleviated these sucky future issues.

The shop was apologetic and pulled the seats and panels out today, and pulled up the carpeting, got the water out and is drying everything out. We'll see what it looks like on monday. I may still need to go to infiniti and get then to replace everything depending on how it looks/smells to me on Monday. There was no smell before, so hopefully I never grew any mildew or mold in the first place. If I am lucky, there will be no rust damage, no wiring damage, firewall and other insulation will dry out fine, and carpet will dry fine. And they fixed their sucky grommet work (theoretically - I haven't seen it yet). Again, I will find out on Monday.

I am really afraid that I will have to take it to infiniti in the then end, and get everything replaced. oOmikeyboy said his dealer shop quoted him 2600, so either the installer would need to suck that up (isn't what that their insurance is for, right?) or my insurance would need to pay. If mine pays, then I have a huge water-damage loss claim on record, and there goes resale/trade-in.

What to do. I'll guess I'll be able to make a better decision on Monday when I see it first-hand. Thank God I am off work until Jan 11.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:50 PM
cdso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did they resolve the issue? No more water? I have the same issue.