G37 Sedan

New G37, Initial Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 06:44 PM
allagaroo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Audi does display what gear your in all the time so I know if I'm in 6th in D and go into S it won't go over 5.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XILAR8N
I think some are getting switching from "D" to "DS" confused with touching the paddles to switch to manual mode.

I have found that the transmission DOES downshift when switched to "DS" so the car will be more responsive to throttle inputs. This doesn't mean you have to manually shift the car. If you want to then pull a paddle and let her rip!

You can manually shift the car with the dransmission still in "D", I do it all the time. You can pull the right paddle to switch to manual mode and see what gear you are currently in. OR, you can pull the left paddle once (or multiple) times if you are setting up for a corner/curve or are anticipating a hole in traffic that you want to shoot thru. After the curve or away from traffic I then pull the right paddle several times to make sure it's in the top gear and after a few seconds the transmission reverts to D.

Anyone else try this?
If that's the way it works--touch the right paddle to switch to manual and then do whatever you want to do up or down without touching the gear lever--then I take back any criticism or complaint. That is a sensible way to implement a manual shift mode on an automatic tranny.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 PM
wingzero1

Originally Posted by allagaroo
I just ordered the G37Xs so I'm not speaking from experience but my guess based on spec's I read is that the highest DS goes is 5th gear. 6th and 7th are overdrive gears which are usually omitted in sport mode. My A6 has a 6 speed and 6th is not available in S mode. I'm pretty sure if your in 5th or lower in drive it will stay there in DS. Those of you who have the car please advise!!!!!!

When i flip the shifter left it does go into 5 gear and no it does not show the gear. Only way I found that I was in 5th was the way the original poster did, I downshifted and it went into 4th. Also, you can paddle shift into 6th and 7th gear in DS mode.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:18 AM
allagaroo

I still suspect that you only can get up to 5th in DS. If you use the paddle shifters you are in a different mode that would make sense that it enables you to get into any forward gear.