G37 Sedan

Stock wipers horrible in snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 11:46 PM
marano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock wipers horrible in snow

I just returned from braving the North Jersey snow this evening, this was the first time I've used my G37 in the snow and I have to say I was very impressed with it's performance. What I was not impressed with was the windshield wipers performance, frankly they are horrible in the snow (they are not too much better in rain either). Can someone recommend some good wipers to replace the stock ones.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:20 AM
pro-gadgeter

I just drove it in the snow in NY. I am very very very impressed by the performance. I have a g37x.. but i did not turn on the AWD mode and drove it on RWD. Drove about 40 miles local, did not even slip once!

as for the wipers, i did not have any problems with it. the water freezes on the windshield and wipers but you need to turn on the windshield heat on high so it doesn't freeze. no wiper will help you with that.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:33 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I switched mine out to some bosch Icon blades within a few months of getting the G and they are great. Mostly just used them in the rain but the few times its snowed they were pretty good too.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Hi Alt G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pro-gadgeter
I just drove it in the snow in NY. I am very very very impressed by the performance. I have a g37x.. but i did not turn on the AWD mode and drove it on RWD. Drove about 40 miles local, did not even slip once!
Huh? And where might that switch be located? I know some guys with Volvo AWD pulled fuses to disable it. Is that what you are talking about?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:39 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Maybe he meant the "snow" mode??
Old 12-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Hi Alt G

Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
Maybe he meant the "snow" mode??
Well, that could be. But his wording, if indeed he meant the snow mode, is terribly off the mark.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:05 AM
marano

I had the heat on high and it didn't really help. I have not been impressed with the wipers on the car since day one (the wipers on my BMW were so much better), luckily this is part of the car that can easily be changed so I think I am going to try the bosch wipers that the other poster suggested.

as for the wipers, i did not have any problems with it. the water freezes on the windshield and wipers but you need to turn on the windshield heat on high so it doesn't freeze. no wiper will help you with that.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:36 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe he did mean SNOW mode, but come on. At least read the sales brochure if you don't crack the owner's manual open.

On the wipers, I find with Rain-x treatment I have no problems although a good set of Bosch blades should improve your performance.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:45 AM
gooddeal

Hmmm...I'm happy w/ the wipers.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:07 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Just came back from a quick trip to pick up some supplies and the car behaved very well with the stock GYs. The roads were very greasy and the biggest issue I had was braking - the ABS would kick in even at very slow speed but no problems stopping. The traction was great - I took it out of SNOW mode once I got into my development and had the SLIP light blinking for quite a long stretch as I pushed it but the car stayed straight and kept biting. I'm very happy with this setup coming from a Subaru.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:33 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont think the wipers are gonna take care of this snow....

Old 12-20-2009, 05:34 PM
windston

yeah i know what you mean, the stock wipers doesn't clear out everything. when it rains, i still see some lines remaining after it wiped across.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Agreed, the stock wipers suck.
Mine don't clear rain as well as the Icons I had on my last car, and for some reason these stock wipers are very noisy in heavy rain. I would think wipers would be noisy in light rain/dry but these get more noisy as it the rain gets heavier.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:39 PM
marano

After doing a bit of research I decided on going with the Rain-X Latitude Wiper Blades, I'll let everyone know how they compare to the stock wipers once I actually get the chance to use them.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:59 PM
vinnys coupe

did you search on the board? If not there are some great reviews on the rain X latitude wiper blades if you wanna check them out as well.

Quick Reply: Stock wipers horrible in snow