G37 Sedan

I am getting scared - is the G37x a reliable car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Gadgetguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting scared - is the G37x a reliable car?

Hello all,

when I discovered the G37 I was really excited, as it looks like an amazing car at a fair price.

But now after reading the various posts related to whining noise, clicking sounds and all kinds of other issues, plus some people saying (on this forum) that Lexus or Acura are better for long term use I start to wonder.

I plan to buy my car and keep it for a long time (my current car is - pls do not laugh - a 1998 Dodge Stratus ES and I had no problems at all with it. I have currently about 220K kilometers on the odometer). Will the G37 last and be good for a long time?

What would you suggest I do? Should I get it as it should be ok (and good) for 10 years? Or am i better of with a less nice but more reliable Lexus (I could afford only the IS250 AWD in that case)?

Thanks for your comments...
Old 12-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi Alt G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am new here, but I will share what was a common reply to this often asked kind of question on a Volvo forum that I frequented daily for over 6 years.

You need to remember that many folks come to the forum to share problems they are experiencing with their vehicle. That is a good thing as we all learn about how they (and potentially we) can deal with said problem. Far fewer come here to say that all is well with the vehicle and tell us how pleased they are.

Go to most any other car (or truck) forum and you will find a similar trend.

I am not writing to convince you one way or the other about Infiniti or bashing the forum (which I have found useful). Rather, I would say that looking at reliable car testers (Edmunds, Consumer Reports etc) and a test drive would be of more overall value that using this, or any other car forum, the best measure of the value of the vehicle.

FWIW, I have no whining noise, am happy with the 7 speed automatic transmission, I have no cold start noise or problems, and heck, I even think the tires are ok. I believe my heavily discounted 09 G37X was a great deal.

Last edited by Hi Alt G; 12-04-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:13 AM
wetboy44

I am on my 2nd G (I had a 2006 G35x for three years, now a 2009 G37x), and they are easily the best cars I've ever owned. My two previous cars were a 2004 Acura TL (problems galore, three sets of tires before 25K miles) and a 1998 Lexus ES300 (no problems - just not fun). I have about 4900 miles on the odometer, and I am just as satified today as I was three months ago. A few of the folks have had problems; that is well documented here, but not reflective of the general owner experience as a whole. I'd be willing to bet that if you went to the Acura TL forum you'd see people posting their complaints on their cars as well. No car maker is perfect. Until they make a perfect car there will always be user forums like this so that folks like us can discuss our issues. My advice is to 1) test drive the car thouroughly, 2) do your homework using forums like these as well as Edmunds and 3) find a car that suits your needs and your wallet. More than likely, you'll find yourself in a Infiniti dealership purchasing a G37! Good luck!
Old 12-04-2009, 10:01 AM
HyperM3

While I am not an owner yet(placing my order in January), I cant wait to get mine.

Unfortunately, the rationality that Ive come to use is that NOTHING is 100% reliable. Doesnt matter if its American made, German made or Japanese made. Everything will have its issues. Whether they happen to you is another story.

I currently have a 335 and cant wait for the lease to come up so I can give this garbage back. Its been a very fun car to drive but soooo many problems. Same goes for the A4 I had before this. Because of these two experiences(and nothing exciting from MB), Ive decided to forgo German cars and try Japanese.

As what a previous lister mentioned, every forum is usually built upon enthusiasts. As enthusiasts we tend to be more critical of our cars. We hear things, see things and feel things that most normal drivers dont. Because of that, we point out to the rest of us the things that bother us about our experience.

The main thing comes down to how YOU feel about your car. If you drove it and love it, you will enjoy it for quite some time. Dont worry about the little things posted on here. Trust me, nothing Ive read about here are compared to the amount of Fuel Pumps that have died on the 335 forums!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:01 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's very reliable. If it makes you feel better check it out in Consumer Report.
I'm on my second G.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:06 AM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

A lot of good comments in here, especially for new posters. Anyways yeah, i'm on my 2nd G also and its been good so far. Of course your going to find things to nit-pick about on any car you buy, and the G is no exception.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Gadgetguy

Thank you all for the advice. You took my worries away!

Now I am counting the days to when I will place my order for a shiny 2010 G37x! (Spring next year...)
Old 12-04-2009, 12:13 PM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gadgetguy, Good thread, You are asking for opinions and you
know what they say about opinions......HAHA

I've had my G37XS since August. I traded a M35X for it
based on being sole person in car 95% of time and was
attraced to the increased acelleration, cornering
and assumed lower cost per mile to drive the G as compared
to the M.

I've owned a BMW 5 series, Mercedes C and E classes,
Audi 100 and Acura TL, which are nearly all
in the "same league" as the Infinitis

The G is a entry level luxuary car that is just a little
qucker, corners better and brakes better than nearly
all it's competition except the BMW 3....which costs
more. The G's 7AT is quirky and unrefined at best....
Just not what it should be in a $40K + car. The
acelleration is smooth and linear....but honestly
it feels like a old turbo that takes 1.3 seconds to
spool-up before it launches....again this is just
unrefined and inexcusable in a 2nd generation
machine at its price. If you dirve on good
pavement and not average roads with potholes
where it freezes and thaws, you'll like the
G's ride. If you drive much on average roads
you will find the ride annoyingly stiff.

If you are going to race or "track" your car
and do modifications.....I'll remind you that
you are starting with a entry level luxuary
car and not a car with racing heritage....like
the BMW, Mustang, Vette, etc and recommend
spending a little more on the BMW before you
spend your money and time trying to extract
more performance from it...its a luxuary road
car and the BMW is superior and more refined
in every way and will outperform on the street
and the track.

If I were to do it again, it would be the Acura TLFWD
for me...bulletproof in everyrespect, a little less
performance, but cheaper to own and operate.
If you want more luxuary in the same price
range...drive the Mercedes C....extremely
quiet, reliable, cheap to operate and insure
and it has that German feeling of being made
"from one piece of metal" that the Japanese
haven't figured out yet.

My opinion is that Infiniti dealerships work hard
to look and act like luxary dealerships, but they
lack experience, training, communication skills
customer service/satisfaction skills of all their
competitors...BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc.
Although I don't have any 'Nighmere" stories
I have been less than impressed with
the work, communication and prices at
Infiniti dealers. It seems that other posts
here and on other forms support my observations.

If you like Infiniti, drive the M....a little more
$, a little less performance, but in my opinion
it's the best bang for the buck...PERIOD.
The M is obviously where Infiniti focuses
everthing they've learned. The M will
be my next new car....the G is a good car
for the money....but in my opinion is not
nearly as refined as it SHOULD BE for a
2nd generation luxuary car. Good Luck
Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 PM
blitzebill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i researched the heck out of my G37x in September and October before I took delivery on Oct 21. I compared it with Lexus, BMW and Acura.

i read every online review i could find on Infiniti, including JD Power, Edmunds, these owner blogs, etc.

i was dreaming Infiniti by the time i made the decision.

for the money, the Infiniti G37x is the best value i ever found in a sport luxury sedan.

and my Infiniti dealer is great. Go visit one and see how they present themselves. What is the customer waiting lounge like? the service area? how is the showroom laid out? talk to people in sales, service and finance before you decide. Your dealer is going to be your best buddy for the life of your Infiniti ownership.

From my experience with Infiniti, it is a class organization that is there for you and offers a lot for your money.

i love my G37x, and everyone who has seen it and ridden in it loves it too.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:39 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
2nd G for me too, never a problem, and although the 7 sp auto is a bit "guessy" on slow down from 30 mph, it's no way an unrefined transmission, just seems to need a few software tweaks IMO. A Mercedes C300 may be reliable from a Mercedes standpoint but no Mercedes has ever been as reliable as anything from Nissan/Infinity.

I'd have no reservations recommending the G to anyone, it's a great car and for the money I don't see anything that comes very close right now.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:20 PM
legion681

Touch wood first and then I can say I had no problems with my G37x.
I love this car and I am in for the long run too.

On the other hand, I would like to tell you a quick story...
At the end of 2008, I bought a brand spanking new 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 4 door, thinking that Impreza's were really good cars that would last me a LONG time.
Well, it turns out that for the first two and a half month of production of the model year 09, a defect in manufacturing (not OFFICIALLY confirmed by Subaru, as you may imagine how costly it would be for them, never mind the loss of image for the brand) a part in the engine, was causing COMPLETE engine failure for 09 WRXs...
My car was in the group affected by this (which totals roughly 10k cars worldwide) and it felt like mine was about to go as well. Before that I traded it in and got a G37x.
Happy as can be and with a load off my mind.
So, buying a new car involves a lot of luck overall, you can never be sure.
But getting a G37x solved all my issues and I am as happy as I can be.

Good luck with your decision...
Old 12-04-2009, 08:36 PM
rAvi665

This is my second g and wudnt buy any other car in the same price range. Great engine, features, sound, handling, styling, etc. What more do you want from a car? The G offers everything at a good price. I see so many 335i, IS350 or 250's but you see one or 2 G coupes on the road. Are you getting the coupe or the sedan?
Old 12-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Gadgetguy

Originally Posted by rAvi665
This is my second g and wudnt buy any other car in the same price range. Great engine, features, sound, handling, styling, etc. What more do you want from a car? The G offers everything at a good price. I see so many 335i, IS350 or 250's but you see one or 2 G coupes on the road. Are you getting the coupe or the sedan?
I am getting a sedan - and I cant wait! I had the stupidest grin on my face after I testdrove one... No other car I tried was so much fun in just a few minutes - and I tried a few from Subaru to Mazda or Genesis
Old 12-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Riley
Registered Member

I own both an IS250-rwd (manual) and our new G37x (auto)
I love the G37, it's just way more fun to drive.

The guys ae right, check out other forums, you will always find issues.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:34 AM
KLB

I'll add my opinion as well. I bought my G37x in March and it now has over 18K miles on it. I love the car! I drive 55 miles each way into Chicago for work. I wanted a car that was comfortable and would help me get around the multitude of people on the road that love to get in the way. It has been all of that and more. It is such a joy to drive.

I had the rough donwshifting, I had to have my wipers adjusted because they were not covering my windshield, and have a few chips in the paint(from before I got a clear-bra). Otherwise the car has been trouble free. No regrets at all.

Quick Reply: I am getting scared - is the G37x a reliable car?