G37 Sedan

Rearview mirror removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Zoomdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rearview mirror removal

I have a X sedan with no nav/prem. So I bought a Gentex Homelink mirror online after reviewing the install procedure...doesn't look too tough. Of course, first step is removing the OEM mirror, and I can't figure it out. I searched online and G35 forums and I keep reading about a "trick" to pop a spring for Nissan/Inifiniti mirrors. Anyone have experience removing the mirror and wouldn't mind trying to describe the process? Thanks
Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 AM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
I haven't removed the Homelink mirror from my '09 G37xS, but took a close look and it's similar to Homelink mirrors on other Nissan models. The process is:

1. Look for the power/ground harness on the back of the mirror. Use your fingers, a small pick or screwdriver to push up on the small clip that holds it in place. Once released, the clip/harness should easily release from the back.

2. Now look at the mirror mount that attaches to the windshield itself. This is the primary holder and uses a stud imbedded in the glass to hold itself in place. Take a close look at the black plastic cover and use a small pick to pry/slide the cover off without breaking it.

3. Homelink mirrors weigh enough that NVH becomes an issue. The ones I've removed (350Z) use a small torx screw (T20) to fasten the base of the mirror directly to the stud. Once removed, hold the mirror at the mounting base and use slight upward pressure to release it. The small telescoping plastic cover above it may also fall out, but is easily replaced once the new mirror is reinstalled.

4. If you have the non-Homelink mirror, they use a small clip (rather than a fastener) on the back of the mount to hold it into place. Use you fingers or a pick to get behind the mount to feel for it. Push inwards and when you feel it 'click', push upwards to release the mirror. It should take only light-to-moderate pressure to release it, so don't damage the stud or glass.

Hope this DIY helps!

Last edited by dkmura; 11-16-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Zoomdog

Thanks, but I don't have a Homelink mirror currently as the original equipment is a standard mirror. I'm looking to upgrade to Homelink so as to get rid of the clip on garage opener on my visor. I don't see a torx screw on the OE mirror like I do on the Gentex replacement. There appears to be a "locking spring" according to the install instructions, but the trick to applying pressure to the spring is the secret I'm searching for. Others have described it online, but not useful to the extent that I could replicate. Just thought I'd give this forum a shot before giving up and letting a pro do it.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:44 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Zoomdog- did you check point #4 in my post above? It describes exactly the mirror you have. The only trick is to use your fingers (if they're small enough) to get BEHIND the mount. The small clip that holds the locking mechanism cannot be easily seen unless you have a small mirror and a light to see it. Once depressed, pull upwards gently on the mount and the mirror will come free. It just takes time and gumption to get it done!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:52 PM
stardust
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Zoomdog
There appears to be a "locking spring" according to the install instructions, but the trick to applying pressure to the spring is the secret I'm searching for.
If its anything like the locking spring on my old Maxima then you will REALLY have to push hard to get it to break free. I forget what size screwdriver I was using but I thought I was going to break the windshield before that thing broke free.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Zoomdog

Thanks guys...yes the beveled tab at the base of the mirror is the key. For future reference: My description would be to push down on the tab (towards the floor) with your finger while picking the mirror up towards the headliner. It's a fair amount of effort to get the plastic tab/clip to bend off the windshield "button".
Old 11-16-2009, 08:42 PM
stardust
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Zoomdog
Thanks guys...yes the beveled tab at the base of the mirror is the key. For future reference: My description would be to push down on the tab (towards the floor) with your finger while picking the mirror up towards the headliner. It's a fair amount of effort to get the plastic tab/clip to bend off the windshield "button".
Since your in Chicago, I could give you a hand one weekend. PM me if interested.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:27 AM
lokitiw

If you go to any auto glass shop they could remove it in seconds, It might cost a couple of bucks,but the headache would be gone.