G37 Sedan

Initial impressions of my new G37s...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:36 AM
XILAR8N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Initial impressions of my new G37s...

Well, I've now had the G37s for about a week and a half and I have a few initial impressions...

First, it's an EXCELLENT car! The overall build quality and interior fit and finish are outstanding.

There are many things that I love about this car. The steering wheel for instance is the best of any car I have ever driven. It feels great and the buttons are integrated well. Also, the entire Nav/Infotainment system is unreal. I especially like how it burns CD's to the hard drive!

The overall driving experience blows me away. This IS a sedan, right? That's what I keep asking myself in disbelief because it drives like a sports car. The handling is incredible! And this is coming from a guy who has been driving a C5 Corvette for the last 6 years. I think the G handles just as well and maybe better in some situations. Granted, the Vette had the base FE3 suspension, but to think this sedan feels as good as it does seems crazy! (but legitimate)

I do have two complaints though. First, the razor sharp handling definitely comes at a price. The G seems to be a little more "harsh" riding over some bumps (even more than the Vette). A way to compare/describe it is being "sharp" or more "peaky" over the bumps. Meaning, the impact seems more abrupt and the duration seems shorter. (if you can make since of that) The other complaint is I wish the transmission's manual mode reacted faster. This car would be perfect if the tranny shifted like the one in the Lexus ISF. Manual mode seems more suited for setting up for a corner and then holding the gear. And is it just me or does it downshift much better than it upshifts?

All in all I am very happy with my purchase. I am waiting until I get about 1000 miles on it before I drive it too hard. I have yet to "floor" it and it already feels pretty darn quick! I am anxiously awaiting some 0-60 and 1/4mi runs!

Well, that's my $.02. Okay, maybe a full dollar...

Cheers.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:24 AM
N8dawg

Old 11-10-2009, 08:25 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Give it sometime to break it sure will become smoother, maybe look into a grounding kit?

Do you have any mod plans?

Welcome on board
Old 11-10-2009, 08:32 AM
BocaIvan

Congrats! I have about 3800 miles on mine and love it!!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:30 AM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad you got the S RWD. I don't mean anyone any disrespect, but not sure why anyone would get this car without the sport package. The sport package transforms this sedan. Infiniti did a great job with the sport package on the RWD models. The LSD and brakes alone are worth it. The suspension is nearly perfect. I would prefer even less body roll. I'll bet your vette had less body roll as it's wider and sits a lot lower to the ground.

As for the gear changes, you should have bought a manual. I wouldn't bother with any AT unless it's dual clutch. Torque converters cause delay.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:20 AM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats. Have you considered the 6MT? It's a total blast to drive.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats! I think you'll like the car the more you drive it. The 7AT addapts to your driving style and that hard drive, if you're like me, will have LOTS of your favorite CD's burned on it before long. It took me a while to fully learn the NAV. Lots of nice features that I didn't notice at first.
And this forum, as you've noticed, is one great resource...
Old 11-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an xS and I think the suspension is too soft (non sport) so I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. As for manual shifting, if you turn of VDC, the transmission reacts to manual inputs a little bit quicker.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:49 PM
XILAR8N

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Congrats. Have you considered the 6MT? It's a total blast to drive.
I actually visited the dealer to drive a 6MT. I tried to like it, but I just didn't like the clutch engagement. It just didn't compare at all with my Vette. Also, I had been driving a manual car since 1993 so I was ready for a break. I really do enjoy the 7A, I just don't use it in manual mode much. I'll have to try it with he VDC turned off and see how that affects the shifting.

I'll post a pic link when I get one uploaded. Oh, and I don't have any mods planned...yet.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:49 PM
2009Black

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too have had a G37S sedan for about two weeks now. I love everything about the car. I even paid careful attention to the suspension during the test drive and found it's behavior totally expected. My only beef with the car is I'm getting a rattle from the subwoofer on the rear package shelf.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:53 PM
mindonmatter

I agree with 2009Black. I wouldn't change anything about the suspension.