G37 Sedan

G37X snow performance report

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 11:41 PM
x95stacey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
No - SNOW mode basically allows the ECU to manage engine power vs. throttle input to reduce torque to the wheels. AWD is always on and works the same regardless - starts at 0/100 F/R to 50/50 F/R as needed.
Do you or anybody else on here have any official documentation on what "snow mode" actually does? The owners manual says is that engine power output is controlled to avoid wheelspin. Thats all it says. But there are a lot of posts on here that say this along with locking 50/50 power split is what the switch does.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:23 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by x95stacey
Do you or anybody else on here have any official documentation on what "snow mode" actually does? The owners manual says is that engine power output is controlled to avoid wheelspin. Thats all it says. But there are a lot of posts on here that say this along with locking 50/50 power split is what the switch does.
Go to the service manual which is available online to see the info. I've already posted the description verbatim on a similar post - a search should find that.

The posts about "locking" AWD are based on people's assumptions and how some other manufacturers implement a snow mode rather than READING the available information as I do.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea...I'm been playing with my X a bunch over the last few weeks as we've had some snow and this is my first winter with the car.

I DON'T really notice a difference in snow mode as far as the front/rear split.

Me think it just takes the sting out of the throttle.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about that Mike. I tried the snow mode and i do not feel any difference in throtle response.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by Alex57r
Not sure about that Mike. I tried the snow mode and i do not feel any difference in throtle response.
Should be easy to test in city driving on dry pavement. Drive with it on and then off and if the response is not noticeably and obviously different, then it can't be doing much useful in the snow. With AWD, in theory, you shouldn't need it anyway. On the other hand, a 50-50 lock (at all speeds) WOULD be a useful feature to implement for winter conditions--the predictability of it, especially at highway speeds on snow or ice, is more important than electronic nannies cutting in and out.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Hi Alt G

Originally Posted by Alex57r
FWIW........I can definitely feel the difference in throttle response with the snow mode on. In my case, it makes a big difference in controlling wheel spin on hard packed snow or icy streets.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:37 PM
GT-R

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
No - SNOW mode basically allows the ECU to manage engine power vs. throttle input to reduce torque to the wheels. AWD is always on and works the same regardless - starts at 0/100 F/R to 50/50 F/R as needed.
No, the X always starts at 25/75 from a dead stop, not 0/100. If there is no slip, it goes to 0/100. In snow mode, the car is 50/50 up to 12 MPH and the throttle response is reduced. After 12 MPH, the car goes back to automatically managing torque distribution.

The ATTESA system is designed for smooth starts, better fuel economy and better traction and maneuverability on snowy roads than conventional all-wheel drive systems and minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance characteristics on dry roads.

The system's advanced torque split control strategy automatically transfers optimum torque to the wheels according to road and driving conditions. It provides outstanding cornering capability similar to a sports car due to optimum torque distribution to the front and rear wheels (from approximately 0:100 up to 50:50).

System sensors continuously monitor vehicle speed, throttle position and wheel spin (at all four wheels). When road conditions don't require AWD, the G35/G37 acts and feels like the award-winning rear-wheel drive G35/G37 sedan, with the system capable of sending up to 100 percent of the power to the rear wheels. The G35/G37 thus offers minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance and handling feel.

From a standing start, the ATTESA system adjusts the front-to-rear torque distribution, adding 25 percent to the front wheels for a more powerful start. The system then quickly adjusts torque distribution as needed, sending up to 100 percent to the rear wheels if conditions warrant, or adjusting the front drive percentage up to 50 percent as needed.

In cornering situations, the ATTESA system can detect traction needs throughout the course of a turn and react accordingly. With its millisecond response time, the system can shift toque back and forth between the front and rear wheels to help enhance stability and traction. For example, in entering a corner (under normal driving conditions), the system functions nearly the same as any rear-wheel drive car. Torque distribution is almost 100 percent rear. Once in the corner, the system is able to transfer to the front wheels that portion of the drive torque that the rear wheels can't handle. This results in outstanding, sports car-like cornering ability. When exiting the corner, torque can be quickly transferred according to the wheel spin of the rear wheels from 50:50 up to 0:100 for smooth acceleration out of the turn.

Another unique feature of the G35/G37 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.

I hope this clears up any confusion, period.

Last edited by GT-R; 01-04-2010 at 04:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FuzzyG (07-24-2017)
Old 01-04-2010, 04:01 PM
allagaroo

Great explanation!!!!!!!! If I am interpreting that correctly cruising on a highway in snow mode in snow is unnecessary but driving locally in stop and go driving in slippery conditions or in a snowbound parking place snow mode would be beneficial.
J
Old 01-04-2010, 04:04 PM
GT-R

Cool

Road & Track found that the AWD X is actually quicker around the track than the RWD G in both wet and dry conditions. So, all of you X owners are losing absolutely nothing compared to the RWD G, except for the fact that you can't have a manual transmission. ATTESA not only gives you an advantage in the bad conditions, but also in dry conditions.

Road and Track Magazine tested the G35S vs the G35X. (07+)

Rear Drive vs. All-Wheel Drive: That Is the Question

For fun, we brought a rear-drive Infiniti G35 to our autocross and compared it with its all-wheel-drive G35x brother, in both wet and dry conditions with VDC yaw control switched off. We assumed the rear-driver would be quicker in the dry, given its ability to hang out its tail and help the driver tighten his line. But in the wet, we were confident the all-wheel-driver would have a tremendous advantage, hooking up better out of turns. Here's what we learned:

Well, we were wrong on one front, right on the other. Based on group average times on the dry autocross, the awd G35x proved itself faster, surprising us with its rear-biased manners and lapping nearly a second (0.9 sec.) quicker than the rear-drive G35. In the wet the G35x fared even better, 1.3 sec. quicker than the rear-drive G35.

Credit goes to the electronically controlled awd system, which maintains a rear-drive bias while endowing the car with improved stability. Don't get us wrong, the G35x still liked to hang its tail out, but the driver didn't need to be quite so careful with the throttle to keep the car's back end in check. In the rear-drive G35, the driver had to be far less aggressive with the throttle (and quicker with corrections) to post respectable times. Wet or dry, the awd G35x was far easier to drive quickly.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:14 PM
GT-R

Originally Posted by allagaroo
Great explanation!!!!!!!! If I am interpreting that correctly cruising on a highway in snow mode in snow is unnecessary but driving locally in stop and go driving in slippery conditions or in a snowbound parking place snow mode would be beneficial.
J
Yes, there is no point using snow mode when cruising on the highway. And yes, Snow mode is best for slippery stop and go traffic.

And if you are totally stuck, Nissan recommends you turn off VDC so can spin all four wheels. In fact, they say that this is the only time VDC should be turned off. If VDC is on, 4W-ABLS won't allow wheel spin.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi Alt G

GT-R thanks. It appears we have a definitive answer and can put thiq question to bed.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

I have been driving in snow here and still cannot tell if the car is in AWD or not. do you have to put the snow button to "on" to go into AWD? how do u know if the car is in AWD or not? what does the snow button do for the car?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 PM
xBLACKMAM8Ax

Hello my fellow G37 owners. I have a 2009 G37xS sedan. I was wondering if you guys could give me some honest feedback on winter tires. I live in Ohio and we get a good amount of snow and ice. My size is 225/50/18. Blizzaks? Yokohama W Drives? Also, if you guys could suggest any good review sites for the winter tires would be great. Thanks....
Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 PM
allagaroo

Originally Posted by Infiniti7
I have been driving in snow here and still cannot tell if the car is in AWD or not. do you have to put the snow button to "on" to go into AWD? how do u know if the car is in AWD or not? what does the snow button do for the car?
read recent previous emails in this forum. Gt-R gives a terrific explanation of AWD and use of snow button. You don't have to put the snow button on to go into AWD. It will gointo AWD if it senses slippage from all rear up to 50/50 ft/rear.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Xerix

Read the post above by GT-R. It explains everything perfectly.

Andrew

Quick Reply: G37X snow performance report