G37 Sedan

Narrow escape....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 11:45 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Narrow escape....

I was out tonight doing errands late, and just trying to get done. Pulled behind a big black truck with tint on the main drag in my town, guy was just tooling along around 30-35 in a 35 zone where everyone usually does 40 or so. I was getting frustrated so, as soon as I got a chance, I pulled around him rather quickly, and probably got up to about really fast 60 before I start to slow down to a more normal speed, and then bam! On come the lights - undercover police, no radar on, totally stealth. Had never seen that before in my neck of the woods, they usually cruise with K or KA blaring, undercover or not.

Anyway, the guys could have gotten me for 25+ over the limit, reckless driving, endangerment, etc. Should have been $400+ fine, but in the end he just let me go. My impression is that they were really out for people under the influence, but I just could not believe he he just blew it off.

If I had been in my G8, I can just imagine I'd be looking a a huge fine. I was very respectful and apologetic, and didn't offer any idiotic excuses, so imagine that helped as well. whew!

Anybody have any good stories where they got off when they should gone downtown?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:50 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had the same exact story happened to me last christmas eve!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:58 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
No stories to rell, but you should thank your lucky stars! As you mentioned, the officer could have written you for a variety of offenses, but showed some leniency in your case. Your attitude helped, but in the end, HE CUT YOU A BREAK.

After all the anti-cop garbage on the boards today, maybe you could start some pro-cop threads...
Old 11-02-2009, 12:15 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Trust, me I am thanking my lucky stars and a couple of other people's as well. The guy totally had me cold, game over, he didn't even need radar, although I am sure that one problem was that there was no way for him to put a speed on the citation - no radar, no clocking just, the obvious fact that I blew past him at an uncertain, higher speed. I'm sure that was a factor in terms of judges, and fighting the ticket, and everything else that would have been involved in court - he would have had to make up a speed, or just say something to the effect of 'higher than me, which was slightly less than the speed limit' - but he did give me break, for sure.

The funny thing was, is that about a half-mile earlier I had seen what I could have sworn was a murdered-out Camaro with a blue n reds flashing form the inside with a car pulled over, and no radar on. I was thinking, man, I never would sussed that car out as a cop other than the super-stealth look was a little odd. I mean, it was like / similar to a murdered, but in a real squeaky-clean way - like a police version of a car trend, and sort of obvious when pointed out or noticed. I know what to look for now, I guess....and I will admit, the cop was cool....
Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 AM
mindonmatter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeez, it's not like you started shooting at the guy. I don't think you would have done hard time or anything, LOL. Obviously they were undercover(drugs probably) and had lots bigger fish to fry than you. They were just checking you out. But so you know, pacing(driving the same speed as you), is a legal way to check your speed and give you a citation. Anyway, part of the game is the occasional ticket. Live and learn.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:44 AM
KLB

I've noticed here in NW Indiana that the police tend to have extremely dark tint on their cars. I am no expert, but it is has to either be on the line or over it for legal tint in this state. Now I am always careful when I see a car that I can not see into because of its' tint.

I haven't seem a lot of "anti-cop garbage" on the boards. I know I for one and thankful for them. It is only when they are used to generate revenue that I have issues. I can't imagine that the officers joined the force thinking "Cool! Now I get to sit on the side of the road and give people speeding tcikets to make money for the government."
Old 11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was on the way home around midnight and decided to have some fun on a straight with no intersection. I gunned it in second and third to probably 60-70mph on a empty local straight (in Mexico). I slowed down at the night to make a u-turn then out of the corner of my eyes, I saw a cop, out of no where, making the u-turn behind me! I know he must have at least heard my exhaust, especially at midnight when it's quiet. I thought I was done for, because of the exhaust, he probably would have asked me to pop the hood and write me up for mods.....etc. But instead, he followed me for a bit, I signaled early for a right, and he signaled with me. I was thinking "NOooooo!" and prepared for his lights to come on. But as soon as I made the right, I decided to turn early into my community. He slowed down then just kept on going. Probably a nice guy thinking that I'm already home and just let me off easy.

A few weeks later, I got pulled over for going 75mph on the freeway! I guess we're even.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:52 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Breaks are far & few between. He really must not have cared, because sounds like he could have been there all night writing you tickets. The reason why most people bash the police, is becasue we are all human and make mistakes they apparently do not.It seems to be seperate laws for certain people.Ever since I have a family member who is "on the job"i get treated way different once they find out.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Michelangelo

Wasn't me (exactly) but one time a few years back I was doing a TDY (temporary duty for the non-military folks) at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, and one Friday my buds and I decided to head to the Big Easy (pre-Katrina). We were in my buddy's BMW 535 doing about 110 down I-10, about 1/8 of a mile behind another guy who was also doing 110. Suddenly, bam! a state trooper puts his lights on and pulls out from some little hidey-hole, and gets behind us. My buddy slows down in a hurry but we think we're done for (the open beers in the car would not have helped at all)...but the cop passes us and grabs the guy in front of us! We passed them at the legal 65 and then ran the rest of the way at 110 again.

Another time I was at Reagan National Airport trying to find the long-term parking and was cruising along the terminal at about 20 over the posted limit. The cop pulled me over, looked at my license, thought about it for a second and gave me directions instead of a big fat ticket. Maybe it was because I was in my Elantra I had before I got the G? LOL
Old 11-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Pip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only break I ever got was a looong time ago. I was heading home from school (50 miles) late at night. I was going on active duty military the next day. This was during Nam. I was driving a Boss 302 Mustang doing about 90 mph between towns. A cop from one of the little towns started following me to pull me over, but apparently it took him several miles to catch me. He was pissed and asked me what the hurry was. I told him about wanting to get home to see my folks before being inducted and he let me off.

Last edited by Pip; 11-02-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-02-2009, 10:28 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
As crazy as that sounds something similar happened to my boy. DT's pulled him over found about 2 pounds of "the sticky" and let him walk because they were looking for guns that night.