G37 Sedan

Why does AC always come on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 PM
ATL Kimo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does AC always come on?

Hi,

I have a 2009 G37S. I don't understand how climate control works. When I turn climate control on, even if it is cold out, and I want the cabin temperature warmer than the outside temperature, the AC light is illuminated. I can turn the AC off by pushing the button, but I don't get why it comes on in the first place.

Also, if I change the vents from the lower vents, to the upper vents, it turns off climate control. Why?

And if I change it from fresh air to recirculate it turns the AC back on.

I am completely confused by its behavior.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 10-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
It turns on to get rid of humidity from the hot air to prevent the windows from fogging up. It does this automatically.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:48 PM
ATL Kimo

Thanks for the quick answer Modme!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:22 PM
rehtea

instead of pressing the climate control button, you can press the fan speed + or - buttons instead. then AC won't kick in automatically.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:33 PM
ATL Kimo

Thanks rehtea!

Any idea why changing from fresh air to recirculation kicks in the AC? Is it because of modme's explanation about humidity control?
Old 10-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Master Chief

Its because Infiniti thinks they know more than you. If I have my A/C off like this morning as it is 52 degrees outside and cycle through the modes, because one mode goes to defroster, it kicks on my a/c and even though I keep cycliing to the next mode, it still leaves my A/C on. I hate the way this thing works, but it is basically how all auto systems function. I like the settings to stay where I put them. Let me worry about turning on the a/c. If I want defrosters without a/c, that should be my choice.

My other vehicle has manual a/c, which leaves the decisions to me, which is perfect because I am alway right or else why would my wife call me Mr. Know-it-all?
Old 10-15-2009, 02:13 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ATL Kimo
Thanks rehtea!

Any idea why changing from fresh air to recirculation kicks in the AC? Is it because of modme's explanation about humidity control?
Yes. If you leave recirculate on without AC the windows will fog up pretty quickly.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Tariq - G37x S

when you hit the recirculate button, the AC comes on automatically. From the responses above..it is to reduce the humidity/fogging.

Does this consume gas?? if so, is it just like having the AC running on a hot summer day?
Old 10-18-2009, 01:32 AM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Tariq - G37x S
when you hit the recirculate button, the AC comes on automatically. From the responses above..it is to reduce the humidity/fogging.

Does this consume gas?? if so, is it just like having the AC running on a hot summer day?
Yes it does. The same a/c compressor is turned on, whether to cool the car or to reduce humidity. The compressor is belt driven, so it takes away some power from the engine. The engine rpm increases slightly to accommodate the extra load and therefore consuming more gas.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Tariq - G37x S

Originally Posted by Modme
Yes it does. The same a/c compressor is turned on, whether to cool the car or to reduce humidity. The compressor is belt driven, so it takes away some power from the engine. The engine rpm increases slightly to accommodate the extra load and therefore consuming more gas.
Thanks for the info.

Does turning on the heat use any extra gas?....
my assumption is that it uses engine heat, so no extra gas consumption, is this correct?
Old 10-18-2009, 05:19 PM
jane

Originally Posted by Tariq - G37x S
Thanks for the info.

Does turning on the heat use any extra gas?....
my assumption is that it uses engine heat, so no extra gas consumption, is this correct?
No, it doesn't use anymore gas to run the heater.