G37 Sedan

Stop and go light traffic

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:11 PM
HomieG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stop and go light traffic

Alot of times, I drive to my Uncles house and I'm basically stuck taking all the city streets, and I probably hit about 10-15 short/long traffic lights every time I go over there (few times a week). It's literally one red light to the next. It pisses me off so much. I could take the highway but it would be about 20 minutes out of the way. Does this sort of stop and go really put a hurting on the car/transmission? I've had an automatic transmission failure in the past, and just wondering if this obsessive stop and go traffic is going to hurt it, and what I can do to prevent it.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:34 PM
nogoodname
Banned

no rabbit launches....... over here, theres more traffic lights and stop signs than anywhere....lol..... complete stops at the signs is super rare here now. nothing u can do but drive smoothly with no rabbit jumps
Old 10-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You'll be just fine.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:46 PM
OrangeAndBlue

I'm wondering what this kind of driving will do to the "training" of the tranny. Does anyone have any experience with this?

We just purchased a G37x sedan and it is currently being driven primarily by the wife in a lot of heavy traffic on her daily commutes. What effect do you think will this have on how the car will behave based on the transmission learning and adapting to the driving behavior?
Old 10-02-2009, 06:54 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Just tske it out when she gets home.chop through 1st to at least 5th and get on it.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue
I'm wondering what this kind of driving will do to the "training" of the tranny. Does anyone have any experience with this?

We just purchased a G37x sedan and it is currently being driven primarily by the wife in a lot of heavy traffic on her daily commutes. What effect do you think will this have on how the car will behave based on the transmission learning and adapting to the driving behavior?
Your car will drive perfectly fine. Cars are designed for stop and go traffic. The transmission's "learning curve" adapts to however its being driven.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:38 PM
OrangeAndBlue

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Your car will drive perfectly fine. Cars are designed for stop and go traffic. The transmission's "learning curve" adapts to however its being driven.
So should I expect to experience a slight loss in sporty feel due the transmission learning curve being exposed to a lot of stop-and-go / slow driving? Also, when the roads do open up, the wife certainly drives a lot more "civilized" than I would....and she will be driving it about 80% of the time for the first several months at least.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

The car will drive just fine under all conditions. It will be just as sporty as it should be. If you drive it like a maniac for a while, it will adapt to that and shift more crisply, at least that's my understanding of how the system works. I drive a 6MT so I'll leave any details to AT drivers. I'm curious if anyone with an AT has ever actually noticed any "difference" if they drive like grandma for a while then like Mario Andretti. My guess is no.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:56 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The car will drive just fine under all conditions. It will be just as sporty as it should be. If you drive it like a maniac for a while, it will adapt to that and shift more crisply, at least that's my understanding of how the system works. I drive a 6MT so I'll leave any details to AT drivers. I'm curious if anyone with an AT has ever actually noticed any "difference" if they drive like grandma for a while then like Mario Andretti. My guess is no.
The switch from DS-conservative to DS-aggressive happens instantly. There really isn't an "in between". With enough practice one should be able to switch from one to the other at will.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:48 PM
stardust
Premier Member

I understand your sentiment. However, stupid threads happen every day. Learn to ignore them and keep going.
So please stop replying to these stupid threads and just lock them like you did mine.

No one will take any responsibility if they DON'T HAVE TO!!!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by stardust
So please stop replying to these stupid threads and just lock them like you did mine.

No one will take any responsibility if they DON'T HAVE TO!!!!!!!!
I locked yours because you seem to have been around the G community for some time and I believe you started that thread to be an annoying troll. You were successful. If you take issue with my judgement, feel free to PM me about it if you want.

The OP has 3 newbie posts and asked a legitimate question (in his view) about taking care of his new car. Since this hasn't been covered there's no problem sharing knowledge to help him because this isn't something that has been asked a zillion times that he simply refused to search for. I'm failing to see any "lack of responsibility" that you do, just someone asking a question that may be simplistic to you and a lot of veteran car guys, but not to the OP.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue
So should I expect to experience a slight loss in sporty feel due the transmission learning curve being exposed to a lot of stop-and-go / slow driving? Also, when the roads do open up, the wife certainly drives a lot more "civilized" than I would....and she will be driving it about 80% of the time for the first several months at least.
If you want it to be "sporty", put it in DS and drive. I've gotten to where I use DS pretty much every day, especially if I get on the highway, or on some hills, or winding roads...Well, pretty often.