G37 Sedan

When is the car ready to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:08 PM
HomieG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When is the car ready to drive?

Hey guys, what's up?

Just curious...when is the car ready to be driven normally (hard/fast/quick acceleration)?

My car is already broken in, but I'm referring to when you start the car. I live off a high speed busy traffic road, and basically the second I hop on it, I sort of have to get up to 50 mph right away.

Usually I'll sit in my car for 2-3 minutes before I take off, and then drive when it hits operating temperature. But I've always wondered about the transmission, warming up...How exactly do you warm up the transmission fast?

Sometimes I've tried to just take it easy turning out of my neighborhood, but then I usually have a car flying at me flashing his high beams, and honking like a mad man, or just riding my rear like crazy.

So past few times I've just sort of nailed it out of the neighborhood, but just felt like I might be damaging the car. I know the engine operating temperature is where it's at from letting the car idle for a few minutes, but other than that I'm not sure.

---

Also, how soon is it ok to hop on the high way from a cold start? For example once I get on the main road, I hop on the high way within 1 mile of driving and head to work. Just wasn't sure if there was some sort of procedure I should do before I nail it on the highway.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2009, 03:43 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I usually wait a minute (2-3 minutes during winter) before putting it to D. I don't go over 3K RPM until it hits the normal operating temperature. I think it's ok to do 50mph during that warm-up time though as long as you don't rev it past 3K RPM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Mike P

You must be the guy infront of me that I am screaming at in the morning because there is not rationale to your speed. Driver the damn car. Stop worrying your sissy pants about things. Put on pants and act like a man and drive your damn car. If it is not cold enough to solidify your oil, you should be ok. What si warming up your transmission? What are we doing palying football or driving?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:46 PM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^lol. I wait for the oil temp to rise to operating temps before doing some sprinted driving. Till then i shift at around 3k.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:43 PM
js3350z

I usually let it idle for 5 min, then cruise w/o going past 3,000rpm until I get on the highway (about 5 min from my house)
Old 10-01-2009, 07:52 PM
The G

Ok, first of all it's basic knowledge to let your car warm up before you drive. Second, Infiniti didn't build this car on the FM platform and drop a 328hp engine in for nothing just for it to be babied! I say you drive it to its full potential, especially now since it's broken in!

Last edited by The G; 10-01-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:41 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think driving the car to its full potential and letting it warm up before doing so are two different things. I do push the car quite often once it's at operating temps.

People have different opinions. Just do what you feel best. After all it's your car
Old 10-01-2009, 10:58 PM
g37brad
Banned

When you say drive it under 3K RPM, does it matter how FAST I accelerate to 3k RPM?
Old 10-02-2009, 01:20 AM
L-GT

I used to sit idling to warm up the car, but has since then heard other things regarding warming up the car. I read that its better to just drive the car casually after starting up to warm it up. No need to sit idling for 5-10 mins. But then again, I'm in Texas, and it doesn't get as cold here as in some other places.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:12 AM
KLB

Infiniti says:

4. Warm-up
Allow the engine to idle for at least 30
seconds after starting. Do not race the engine
while warming it up. Drive at moderate
speed for a short distance first, especially in
cold weather. In cold weather, keep the
engine running for a minimum of 2 - 3
minutes before shutting it off. Starting and
stopping the engine over a short period of
time may make the vehicle more difficult to
start.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:19 AM
js3350z

Originally Posted by g37brad
When you say drive it under 3K RPM, does it matter how FAST I accelerate to 3k RPM?
I don't think you have anything to worry about based on where you live, just don't hit the rev limiter...for the first few miles, or if there is cops around

34 degrees here in NJ this morning, I have to figure out where to get a remote start in the G
Old 10-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Hi Alt G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KLB
Infiniti says:

4. Warm-up
Allow the engine to idle for at least 30
seconds after starting. Do not race the engine
while warming it up. Drive at moderate
speed for a short distance first, especially in
cold weather. In cold weather, keep the
engine running for a minimum of 2 - 3
minutes before shutting it off. Starting and
stopping the engine over a short period of
time may make the vehicle more difficult to
start.
Pretty sensible advice. When it gets really cold (like minus 20) I will let it idle a bit more until the seat heaters have warmed the seats to a point where they no longer feel like ice cubes, then I get in and drive. 25 here this morning. Not too bad as there is no wind.....yet.

Last edited by Hi Alt G; 10-02-2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-02-2009, 09:27 AM
wireboltman

Originally Posted by Mike P
You must be the guy infront of me that I am screaming at in the morning because there is not rationale to your speed. Driver the damn car. Stop worrying your sissy pants about things. Put on pants and act like a man and drive your damn car. If it is not cold enough to solidify your oil, you should be ok. What si warming up your transmission? What are we doing palying football or driving?
It's never, ever a good idea to run a car hard, or any engine, for that matter, before it's warmed up.
Not even in the summer.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:38 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if it gets really cold get a block heater. it helps.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:27 AM
js3350z

Originally Posted by shumby
if it gets really cold get a block heater. it helps.
+1 on the block heater, don't have it in the infiniti, but in my diesel truck it makes a world of difference in starting and warm up (usually use it when it gets below 20 degrees)

Quick Reply: When is the car ready to drive?