G37 Sedan

Am I the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
There are several issues that contribute to this. The first is that people join a forum to get information and refuse to read the information that's already there. Their first post is something like "Which intake is best?" or "How do you reset the maintenance reminders?". Some of these people are straight trolls and some are just lazy people who have 1) not read their owner's manual first and/or 2) register and post a silly question without even looking at any of the information that's already here.

The next part of the issue is the way that it's handled by members. I am as guilty of this as a lot of others (I'm working on it) but there is always the option to simply ignore a thread and move on if you have nothing to contribute to it. If you don't want to spoon feed a noob, don't. However it can be done without being rude by simply moving on without saying anything. If no one responds they will eventually search the forum and find it's already been answered 17 times or they won't - it's up to them.

The next problem is that it has become all too common for some members to take these threads as their personal invitation to bash the OP, to take the post way off topic, or to hijack it and turn it into their personal version of an IM conversation. In my opinion, this is as much the fault of moderators for allowing it to happen continually by the same members as it is the perpetrators for continually sabotaging threads.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:22 PM
stardust
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread sucks, learn to use the SEARCH function and stop complaining.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:24 PM
stardust
Premier Member

Originally Posted by shumby
if some one else has already done the leg work why not benifit from it. why reinvent the wheel?
EXACTLY! post in an existing thread on the same topic.

Use the SEARCH function, its there for a reason.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:28 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome.

Like others have said, most all answers can be found with a simple search.

If you let a little jab from some random person online get to you, then you really dont need to be on the forums.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:37 PM
bmcdaniels

I think some of the issue can be found in Betty's response (and I'm not picking on Betty). People assume that the person was too lazy to search, or didn't take the time to read. While I'm sure this happens often, there are other reasons too.

Sometimes, the person may have attempted to search without success. Coming from an IT support background, I can tell you that what may be simple and intuitive to some, will be complex and difficult to others. Choosing the right key words is important in a search, and people have issues with those too. So, I think that making the assumption that they didn't attempt a search can be flawed.

Sometimes you can find a thread, and may not understand. Posting the question again may simply be an attempt to get another explanation, nothing more.

Sometimes, the last post may be old, and the poster is looking to see if any new information in now available. If the last thread on "the best intake" was dated, who's to say they aren't curious if newer products have hit the market that are now considered superior to those discussed in the aged thread?

I could go on, but I hopefully made my point. Bottom line, people come here to share the fun and excitement of owning the wonderful G. Help them out. Useless or rude commentary doesn't help anyone.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:41 PM
lokitiw

well, we all better get ready to having no manuals and only a disc to consult, boy will that be convenient. ahhh, we will save a lot of trees.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:42 PM
gamer2k

Originally Posted by bmcdaniels
Bottom line, people come here to share the fun and excitement of owning the wonderful G. Help them out. Useless or rude commentary doesn't help anyone.
+1
Old 09-25-2009, 06:51 PM
elite

Originally Posted by The G
What's the point of a forum if half the people on it aren't willing to share info??? Come on guys!
This info is here. Just search for it. How did you find this site? Right! By searching.

This button will not hurt as much as you think.

Nobody would get roasted or butthurt if they would just try to use it. Scroll through some of the sections, browse a bit.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:28 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I could go on, but I hopefully made my point. Bottom line, people come here to share the fun and excitement of owning the wonderful G. Help them out. Useless or rude commentary doesn't help anyone.
+++1 My old G8 board was crankin' because people acted like cordial adults to one another, and helped each other out. Forum members making super rude responses and displaying infantile behavior were crushed like the douchey grapes there were. The membership there is ruthless, and intolerant of jerks, and the board is a much better place because of it. Fun and busy and helpful - people there actually seem to genuinely like each other.

Not so much here, and consequently it's nowhere near as active.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:45 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

This forum is great for sharing info. Pretty much any question you have can be answered here. (Most already are)
Old 09-25-2009, 08:21 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
^^ I will admit, many members have shared some great info (with me), and I did not mean to insult the majority of folks here who are generally helpful, fun and friendly.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:24 PM
heff

Originally Posted by B L U E S L A T E
If all newbs learn to use the search function to seek for already answered questions, there wouldn't be any of this problem.
sometimes theres not enough or too much info, some ppl like a specific answer sometimes and why not help em...
Old 09-25-2009, 08:25 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

If you ask a legitimate question, no one will bash you. You will get several good quick answers.

Members just get upset because every month there is atleast 2-5 threads by someone asking "What is the best intake" "What is the best exhaust" "Where can I buy rims" "Is my G37 faster than _______ "
Old 09-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I think some of the issue can be found in Betty's response (and I'm not picking on Betty). People assume that the person was too lazy to search, or didn't take the time to read. While I'm sure this happens often, there are other reasons too.

Sometimes, the person may have attempted to search without success. Coming from an IT support background, I can tell you that what may be simple and intuitive to some, will be complex and difficult to others. Choosing the right key words is important in a search, and people have issues with those too. So, I think that making the assumption that they didn't attempt a search can be flawed.

Sometimes you can find a thread, and may not understand. Posting the question again may simply be an attempt to get another explanation, nothing more.

Sometimes, the last post may be old, and the poster is looking to see if any new information in now available. If the last thread on "the best intake" was dated, who's to say they aren't curious if newer products have hit the market that are now considered superior to those discussed in the aged thread?

You make some very valid points bmcdaniels. Thank you for your informed comments with a differing point of view that you have enough sense to state respectfully without name calling and acting childish..

I will agree that a person may search and not find the answer they were looking for. It has happened to me on occasion when I know I've seen the info before. Then I have to change my search parameters. The search function isn't perfect, but it works perfectly well when used properly by a person of average intellect. The problem isn't usually someone who has searched and come up empty, it is that they are too lazy to search in the first place.

You made the point about not knowing how to search and someone posted a question on that very thing. I responded with pointers. I could make a tutorial on how to get better results from the search feature but I fear that few would read it.

When a poster starts off a thread with "I have searched but wasn't able to find..." it tends to get a better response. If a poster starts a thread with a question showing that they have gotten the information but heed more info or clarification, I don't generally see a negative response, but rather more informed members chiming in to help. When it's something that should have been read in the manual, and the electronic format of the manual is posted in the sickies for everyone to have access to and they don't utilize it to answer their own questions, it's irritating to many.

I feel the forum has been somewhat lax in allowing abuse, name calling, and generally negativity to begin to take over. Maybe that will change int he future.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:23 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
You guys pretty muched covered it all and no OP, you're not the only one, i've noticed that too recently. Don't know if it's "post like a douche" season or if it has to do with the weather but posts like that have been spreading like the swine flu.

I have also noticed that, if one has a ride modded in a way where the majority do not approve, he will get flamed straight away. There is a fine line between posting your opinion and bashing the OP and some members fail to see that. Some others think posting like a d!ck might also increase their ***** size

Either ways, fellow mods and myself are working hard on making sure everything stays in order. Douchey posts, I assure you, will no longer be tolerated.

Hope you have a pleasent stay on board myG37 haha

Sam