G37 Sedan

G37X: To sport or not to sport?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Antsmarchn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37X: To sport or not to sport?

So my G35X lease termination date is rapidly approaching and I am looking to get a new G. I am looking at a G37X with premium and nav, but am very undecided on the sport package. My question is should I get the sport package or not? I love the paddle shifters, rims, and front bumper, but am really on the fence about the sport seats. I am concerned about the comfort of the seats on long trips. Quite a few times a year I drive from NJ to Michigan, Ohio, or Northern VA. I am well aware that I can remove the metal bracing in the drivers seat, but on a $42k car should I really need to do seat surgery on day 1? I could also try the suggestion a lot of people here suggest of losing weight, but dont think it will help all that much (I'm 6'3 and about 275). What does everyone think, do I get the sport package or not?

I need to add that the cost of the sport is only $350 more than a non sport, which makes the decision more difficult.

Last edited by Antsmarchn; 09-24-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:44 AM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just bought an X Sport, I like the seats...and that's coming from a guy who
traded a M35. I don't like the harsher ride of the sport package, but the seats
are great for me...medium frame, 5'9, 180. I can see that the seats may not
be comfortable at all for larger people. I also like the "weighted steering" on
the sport package. The larger brakes have taken a little getting used too, but
has not been a big issue. The only comfort trade-off for me has been the
stiffer suspension and harsher ride because I don't do that much highway
driving. I hope this helps. ....Jon
Old 09-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Antsmarchn

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
Just bought an X Sport, I like the seats...and that's coming from a guy who
traded a M35. I don't like the harsher ride of the sport package, but the seats
are great for me...medium frame, 5'9, 180. I can see that the seats may not
be comfortable at all for larger people. I also like the "weighted steering" on
the sport package. The larger brakes have taken a little getting used too, but
has not been a big issue. The only comfort trade-off for me has been the
stiffer suspension and harsher ride because I don't do that much highway
driving. I hope this helps. ....Jon
Maybe I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that the X sport does not have the upgraded suspension or larger brakes of the rwd sport.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:11 AM
sbebs2000

Originally Posted by Antsmarchn
Maybe I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that the X sport does not have the upgraded suspension or larger brakes of the rwd sport.

You are not wrong, those are not included. I personally chose to NOT get the sport because I thought the rims were not very attractive. If I did like them, I would have gotten it.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:00 PM
G37Endeavor

This is a long shot, but you could approach the dealer about swapping the seats. They'd probably charge you for new seats though, as I doubt they'd have a situation where they'd replace non-sport seats with sport seats in another vehicle. It's possible they'd take them into parts inventory, but that's a long shot too. You never know though, so it doesn't hurt to ask. You could also have the standard seats installed and try to sell the sport seats on ebay.
Of course the rims and front fascia could probably be added to the non-sport, but I'm not sure if the paddle shifters can be a dealer installed option, and I'm sure going that route would be pretty expensive.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The xS has no sport brakes or sport suspension or sport steering so I don't know what JonfromCB is talking about. I got the XS and although I really like the front bumper and paddles I have to say that the seats suck on long trips. THey are very supportive for short jaunts and really hold you in nicely, but on a long trip those bolsters in the seat bottom are extremely annoying and cut off your circulation so your concern is well placed. I am only 170lbs, so its not like they squeeze me in or anything (some people I know sit on them not in between them), but i cannot move my butt in the seat or switch positions (like sit a little sideways etc), so on long dries of 2+ hours they suck. This is only my opinion, but I think that's what you were askign for.

P.S. The sport rims are not worth a dime. You can always buy any rims you want and put them on the X, so take that factor out of the equation. I think there is also a way to add paddles pretty cheap and you will still be below the cost of the sport package so all that's left is the bumper.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:48 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
go w/ the non sport if you want the more comfy seats
Old 09-24-2009, 02:54 PM
legion681

So my G35X lease termination date is rapidly approaching and I am looking to get a new G. I am looking at a G37X with premium and nav, but am very undecided on the sport package. My question is should I get the sport package or not? I love the paddle shifters, rims, and front bumper, but am really on the fence about the sport seats. I am concerned about the comfort of the seats on long trips. Quite a few times a year I drive from NJ to Michigan, Ohio, or Northern VA. I am well aware that I can remove the metal bracing in the drivers seat, but on a $42k car should I really need to do seat surgery on day 1? I could also try the suggestion a lot of people here suggest of losing weight, but dont think it will help all that much (I'm 6'3 and about 275). What does everyone think, do I get the sport package or not?
6'0 - 280 lbs here. Also, I have a really bad back so seat comfort is very important to me.

I chose not to get the sport version and I am happy with my choice. The seats are very comfortable and I have no complaints whatsoever.

So, if you want my advice, go for the NON sport...
Old 09-24-2009, 07:08 PM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex57r
The xS has no sport brakes or sport suspension or sport steering so I don't know what JonfromCB is talking about. I got the XS and although I really like the front bumper and paddles I have to say that the seats suck on long trips. THey are very supportive for short jaunts and really hold you in nicely, but on a long trip those bolsters in the seat bottom are extremely annoying and cut off your circulation so your concern is well placed. I am only 170lbs, so its not like they squeeze me in or anything (some people I know sit on them not in between them), but i cannot move my butt in the seat or switch positions (like sit a little sideways etc), so on long dries of 2+ hours they suck. This is only my opinion, but I think that's what you were askign for.

P.S. The sport rims are not worth a dime. You can always buy any rims you want and put them on the X, so take that factor out of the equation. I think there is also a way to add paddles pretty cheap and you will still be below the cost of the sport package so all that's left is the bumper.
Why don't you know what I'm talking about. It's pretty clear that
I'm comparing my G37 to my M35.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:35 PM
netmag

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
Why don't you know what I'm talking about. It's pretty clear that
I'm comparing my G37 to my M35.
Your comments may be a bit confusing to some because you seem to be saying you just purchased a G37xS sedan. However, the G37xS sedan has a different sport package than the G37S. The sport package for the X is about $1000 cheaper but you don't get the sports suspension or the bigger brakes. The G37xS has the exact same suspension and brakes as a regular G37.

So if you are feeling a rougher ride in the G37xS it could be because of the 18" wheels (i.e. less rubber) but it couldn't be from the suspension as it doesn't have an ultra-tight suspension.

To me personally, I see this as an advantage of the xS because i really don't think I want the harsher suspension. However, the 18" wheels might be a little rough when winter comes around here. I worry that the hard wheels will be pretty bad with so little rubber. My only other concern would be about the possibility of getting tired of the sport seats. They felt fine in my test drives but those were just test drives so I don't know.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Radius

Coming from an '06 G35 6MT, I much prefer the sport seats in my G37xS...by far. (The G35 6MT had the standard seats that you will find on a G37x, fyi.) While the xS seats have more bolstering, the seat bottom and back have the same padding and feel of the non-sport seats. I never felt "locked down" in the standard seats and always felt as though I was sliding around in them, particularly in spirited driving. Plus you can adjust the sport seat bolsters so that when you want a tight fit dial it in. For relaxed highway driving, dial the bolsters out.

So, I think the real question that you need to answer is whether you fit into the sport seats comfortably considering the larger bolstering.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Antsmarchn

After test driving and sitting in the sport car for the 5 millionth time I think I have made my decision to go with the non-sport. The difference in seat comfort for me is night and day (especially with a lower back injury). The dealership said they can remove the metal thigh support, but what happens if I am not happy with that? I know that on my next road trip my backside will be thanking me. I am sure I will be kicking myself over the lack of the paddle shifters down the road, but everything else on the car is pretty much cosmetic unlike the RWD sport. I can always change out the front bumper, put 18 or 19 inch rims on the car, change to "sport" pedals, and even put aftermarket seats in.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:13 PM
stardust
Premier Member

Why not get the sport and find someone on here with a non-sport that wants to swap seats? I'm sure there are a handful of people willing to do that.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:23 PM
classy37

I need to add that the cost of the sport is only $350 more than a non sport, which makes the decision more difficult.
Dude, no brainer. I am 6' 220 and had trouble sitting in the sport seats comfortably. No way in h*ll you will be confortable in those seats at your size. Definitely take an a long/overnight test drive before you even consider them.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:34 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the sports package!! makes the sedan look so much better

Quick Reply: G37X: To sport or not to sport?