G37 Sedan

Warm start issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:40 PM
ChiDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warm start issue

Has anyone had a warm starting issue with their G37? I did a forum search and didn't see anything. I have the second appointment with the dealer on Monday and I want to give them as much information as possible since they didn't find the problem the first time. They did find a nicked o-ring on the number 5 cylinder injector that was causing it to leak. We hoped that was the problem but it wasn't. There weren't any engine error codes either.

The symptoms are as follows: I drive the car normally until it's fully warmed up (10 miles). I park it for anywhere between 1 and 2 hours, then when I try to restart it, it will crank for about 2 seconds before starting. The sound it makes is the normal starter cranking the engine, but the engine doesn't fire up immediately. It sounds like it is beginning to fire because the rpms are between the cranking rpm and the idle rpm. The car is new from June 09 and I only have 2800 miles on it. Even though it starts every time, with winter coming I don't want it to get any worse and be stuck somewhere. A cold start always fires up immediately, and a 1-2 hour restart always cranks for a longer time. It is very repeatable and only started doing this about 2 weeks ago.

Any experience with this issue will help fix it.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:15 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like during the condition they need to look at what the ECU sees in the various sensor readings. Since this is obviously temperature related I would guess that one of the temperature sensors used by the ECU to adjust air/fuel mixture is off. The obvious things to check would be the intake air temp sensor and engine coolant temp sensor.

Unless they can see what the ECU is doing it's hit/miss. There are no codes because the sensor readings are within normal range but apparently not where they should be. Hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:43 PM
fungusmud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similiar problem, the dealer found it to be a leaking fuel injector that would flood the cylinder on a warm start, causing a long crank time. THey debugged it by watching fuel pressure while sitting off after a run.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:39 PM
ChiDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought I'd post an update in case anyone searched this thread in the future. The original problem I had turned out to have been present in the other injectors as well. After getting my car the second time, the dealer did another leak check and found two more injectors leaking down. They replaced all 6 injectors, and for a week now, I have not had the problem again. I've tested it in many situations that the problem occurred previously, and it has definitely been resolved.
I'm not sure if it was a bad batch of injectors, but I told the service advisor that I'd keep an eye on it and bring it back if it occurs again. He told me that they were sending my old injectors back to Nissan for analysis of the problem, but that we wouldn't be able to learn what really caused the problem.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 AM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiDave
I thought I'd post an update in case anyone searched this thread in the future. The original problem I had turned out to have been present in the other injectors as well. After getting my car the second time, the dealer did another leak check and found two more injectors leaking down. They replaced all 6 injectors, and for a week now, I have not had the problem again. I've tested it in many situations that the problem occurred previously, and it has definitely been resolved.
I'm not sure if it was a bad batch of injectors, but I told the service advisor that I'd keep an eye on it and bring it back if it occurs again. He told me that they were sending my old injectors back to Nissan for analysis of the problem, but that we wouldn't be able to learn what really caused the problem.
Good to hear you got it fixed.