G37 Sedan

New G37 + Blown out Truck Tire = Bad News

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 PM
andy404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New G37 + Blown out Truck Tire = Bad News

So, I purchased my G37 about a month ago from my local Infiniti dealership. Brand new, Blue Slate Sedan with beige Interior. This car has been a pleasure to drive, but I had not taken it on the highway for a long stretch yet and my buddy thought, "Hey man lets take the G to OKC and let it breathe on the highway". I thought, "Ok, sounds like a good idea". This conversation I know regret deeply.

To make a long story short, on the way home, a large 18-wheeler blows a tire in front of me (I however did not see this). The car in front of my veers to the right to avoid the tire and before I knew it, WHAM!, rubber hits my fender. I thought nothing of it and drove home thinking that it did minor damage when in fact, it did a good amount of damage.

My question to you all is how much do you think it would cost to fix the front fender? It looks to me like its going to be a major job to replace the entire fender as it appears to be one piece, what do you think?

Anyway, I have attached some pictures for your perusal.
Attached Thumbnails New G37 + Blown out Truck Tire = Bad News-p9200024.jpg   New G37 + Blown out Truck Tire = Bad News-p9200026.jpg   New G37 + Blown out Truck Tire = Bad News-p9200027.jpg  
Old 09-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Ouch. Looks like you'll have to replace and paint the front bumper cover. I'd guesstimate maybe $800 or so.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 PM
nogoodname
Banned

new bumper cover (to be painted) and new grille insert.

it's actually cheaper to replace the bumper and paint it than to try to fix what you got there.

maybe 1000 overall
Old 09-20-2009, 08:54 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Ouch man. Sorry to see that. I noticed you said your in okc, what part if you dont mind me asking. I'm in the Edmond area (in norman at school right now). I had to have mine replaced and painted also. Did you get it from Bob Moore? Even if you didn't I'd take it to there collision center. I made the mistake of going to a place called Pucketts Auto Collision and the fitment and paint could be better. My friends dad's got a 04 G35 in midnight blue and had his rear bumber done at Bob Moore collision center and they did a top notch job. Paint match was perfect and it looked like it never happened. I'd guess it will be anywhere from 800-1000. Let me know if ya need anything else

On a good note, welcome to the forum. Good to see another OK member.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:47 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

I have hit those freaking retread truck tires before (not a blow out). The retread peals off like a banana and it happens so fast you can't do much to avoid them. Sorry it happened to you, but it is at least a cosmetic repair and nothing structural.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thank God for Insurance... Comprehensive should cover it.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:03 PM
The G

What I would do is use a Blow dryer and aim it at the dent. I'd also use a suction cup to try and pull it out. If that doesn't work, leave it in the sun for about half a day(personal preference), and it should come out like a charm! Any other scratches I'd leave the Scratch Shield Paint to handle. Hope this helps!
Old 09-20-2009, 11:10 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by The G
What I would do is use a Blow dryer and aim it at the dent. I'd also use a suction cup to try and pull it out. If that doesn't work, leave it in the sun for about half a day(personal preference), and it should come out like a charm! Any other scratches I'd leave the Scratch Shield Paint to handle. Hope this helps!

Sorry, but there is no way you can pop that out and have it be perfectly smooth or not have creases. And that scratch shield paint is more for tiny little haze and swirl marks, not full blown scratches.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:13 PM
andy404

Yea I would have to agree, the scratches on it are pretty bad. In fact, the damage to the car may be more extensive than I what appears. When I ran over the tire there was a loud noise as it exited out the rear. I'm starting to wonder if it may have damaged anything in the under carriage as well. Good thing I have comprehensive.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about that but I think its time for the sport bumper.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:17 PM
xo4ox

Ouch! Really sorry to hear about that.. i hope you get everything sorted out
Old 09-21-2009, 03:12 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a heat gun to it and push from the back. You can pop the dents pretty easily, but it may still have to be replaced. It may have not been creased if you are lucky. After you pop them if there are no creases, then you can get away with just repainting it. If it is creased then you will have to buy a new one, paint it and install it. You are easily looking around 1000 dollars.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Herkypilot

Depending on your deductible, you may just want to claim it. Be sure to state that the truck lost the tire tread in front of you and there was no way to avoid it. Otherwise, if you just ran into an object in the road, they may cover it under collision which would result in points and a premium increase!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#1 reason why I don't drive on the interstates/freeways..... sorry to see this happen on your new ride. How much is your comp deductible... have to decide if you're gonna' pay out of pocket or go through insurance....

did you get the drivers info on the big rig?
Old 09-22-2009, 01:24 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I can relate to what you went thru and going thru now. It sucks and probably wondering what are the chances of this happening to me. How unlucky I am.

Well, I was driving from Atlanta to Birmingham and half way there, something came off of 18 wheeler and punctured front right tire (some kind of hook used to tie stuff).

After about 500 ft of driving, air came out and my car pulled to right, and that's when I pulled over and had to replace the tire with spare.

Drove the rest of way on spare.. and had to buy brand new tire for about $150...

18 wheeler kept driving and long gone. I don't think 18 wheeler ever realized that happened.

Quick Reply: New G37 + Blown out Truck Tire = Bad News