G37 Sedan

Can't get a G37 Sedan Sport RWD here in MI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 AM
bosssho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pnk
I had a similar challenge as well. I live in the Boston area and I wanted a G37S Journey (i.e. RWD automatic). There are a handful of 6-MTs out here, but there were no Journeys at all.

I tried working with a Boston area dealer to have them search for a car that met my needs, and even agreed upon a price. But after 3 weeks of them dawdling around, I bit the bullet and made a deal with an Infiniti dealership in DC.

Flew out about 3 weeks ago, picked up the car, and drove back all in the same day. (My experience with the DC dealership after the sale was pretty horrible, so PM me if you are considering working with someone in DC).

But it was certainly worth it. For my taste, the Infiniti G37Xs understeers too much and is sprung too softly. Now that my car is fully broken in, I really enjoy hitting the gas and taking the right set through a turn.

pnk
I am in the exact same spot you are. My lease is up on my 05 Coupe. IFS is out of their minds w/not negotiating the residual in today's economy and I could use 3 rear seats and a bigger trunk. Having owned an 03.5 Sedan I know I "liked" the car, but I "LOVE" my coupe. It's by far the best handling car I have ever had and it would pain me to send it back...but if the G37-S in AT trim would suffice I would get one. Up here on the North Shore there is maybe one G37-S 6MT at each dealer, but no ATs...in fact I just had to educate the guy at Nashua Infiniti the model existed...but there are NONE.

My email is my user name at comcast.net so please shoot me your experience w/the DC dealer b/c I would consider that option for a 2010...I would just wait at this point I think.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:35 AM
bosssho

Originally Posted by Alex57r
Hah? Happy they even offer it? If they don't offer it, there are always other cars from other companies for those people who want RWD. Infiniti should be happy we work so hard to get the car optioned the way we want it or settle for the ones they have in stock not the other way around.

Aren't we the customers? Or should we just feel honored paying for whatever they are feeding us?
The best was when my 00 Maxima was coming off lease and I was looking at an 03 or 04 Maxima and the G35. From experience I know AWD or 4WD or FWD with all season tires, after the first winter with them, is a joke. So I do it right. I get a 2nd set of rims and outfit em with Blizzaks and I have a Mountain Goat in the winter...up to about 4-5" of snow. I don't care what kind of Drive Train you have....Tires and the vehicle's weight are everything. It takes a $100 jack, and 20 mins to change your rims/tires twice a year in your own driveway/garage. It costs FARRRRRR less than going somewhere and having to replace your tires on the same rims, never mind you increase the life of your tires dramatically.

All the dealers in the Northeast were sick of the Nissan dealers canabalizing them with horror stories of the Maxima kicking the G35's *** in the snow b/c of FWD vs RWD...so Infiniti took the excuses away and threw AWD in as an option. Most drivers are not as performance oriented as us...the forum people...and they just go with what "sounds" save...but I lol at the tires they are driving around on in the winter....

It's very frustrating though that the dealers take the easy way out and don't even allow us the option to get the RWD sports here.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:11 AM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bosssho
The best was when my 00 Maxima was coming off lease and I was looking at an 03 or 04 Maxima and the G35. From experience I know AWD or 4WD or FWD with all season tires, after the first winter with them, is a joke. So I do it right. I get a 2nd set of rims and outfit em with Blizzaks and I have a Mountain Goat in the winter...up to about 4-5" of snow. I don't care what kind of Drive Train you have....Tires and the vehicle's weight are everything. It takes a $100 jack, and 20 mins to change your rims/tires twice a year in your own driveway/garage. It costs FARRRRRR less than going somewhere and having to replace your tires on the same rims, never mind you increase the life of your tires dramatically.
This the same thing I do. A set of winter wheels/tires extends the life of your summer tires. I used the money I saved by getting RWD for my winter wheels.

However, I think all things being equal, AWD G37 with winter wheels/tires will handle better than RWD G37 with the same. The difference is probably minor, but still noticable.

One downside to this method is that the sport brakes force you purchase a set of 18" winter wheels. I would prefer
17" because they cost less and I'm not really going for looks in the winter.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:36 PM
BlueMalibu

Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
This the same thing I do. A set of winter wheels/tires extends the life of your summer tires. I used the money I saved by getting RWD for my winter wheels.

However, I think all things being equal, AWD G37 with winter wheels/tires will handle better than RWD G37 with the same. The difference is probably minor, but still noticable.

One downside to this method is that the sport brakes force you purchase a set of 18" winter wheels. I would prefer
17" because they cost less and I'm not really going for looks in the winter.
You guys do the same thing I do. Blizzaks are the way to go. I have been doing this with last 4 vehicles (BMW 325, Lincoln LS, CTS, CTS) and it is GREAT. I love fishtailing around and with the Blizzaks. I have never in the last 10 years been unable to take my car out in the snow. As long as the snow isn't deeper than the bumper that is.

And while the AWD will accelerate better in the snow than the RWD drive the RWD will stop quicker and handle better. Because it is lighter.

I'm still looking for a RWD car and have a couple stealers willing to get me one. Hopefully soon I will be in the G37 club.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:43 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
blizzacks suck. I have them on the G last winer and they will not be going back on this winter. going back to the pilot alpins. the blizzacks offer no where neer the traction or control thealpins do.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:52 AM
bosssho

Your opinion...Might depend which ones you get too...several kinds. I spend the extra money and get the LM-22s that are H rated and drive almost as agressive as a regular tire...quiet on the pavement, great in the rain and snow, and last well too. I tried the equivalent Dunlops a few years back based on Tire Rack's opinion...and was not impressed.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:41 AM
JKashat

I used to work as a Sales Person at Suburban Infiniti in Troy. Good luck finding that car in Michigan, at least a Suburban. At the time, the General Manager literally told me they wouldn't order any G's in rear drive anymore since we were in Michigan and the demand was so high for AWD once it became available and the wouldn't get in any 6MT's in the Coupe or Sedan because "No one wanted them". I'm sure you will find a RWD model, but selection will be very limited here in Michigan. Good luck finding a 6MT w/o finding a sales person who is willing to do a out of state dealer trade to get you what you want and not try and talk you into something he/she has in stock or can get easily. Sorry to tell you that's just how it is. I myself when I was there did EVERYTHING in my power to get my customers EXACTLY what they wanted. Honestly, try Suburban in Troy, ask for Matt, or Dwayne. Tell them Jeff Kashat referred you. They are good guys and will do there best for you. Also, they have a new GM there. But, I heard he was a real A**. At least the previous GM was nice, just wouldn't order RWDs or 6MTs. Good luck getting what YOU want. Try what I said though.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:50 PM
BlueMalibu

Update...My G37 should be on the way.

Ann Arbor Infiniti is getting one from Cali shipped in. It is costing $ but I couldn't find any way around it.

G37 S Sedan 6MT Black/Grey - no other options.
$499 /MO Lease, 18K Miles/yr, 39 Month, 1100 at signing.

I left a deposit so now it up them to make it get here. Getting the car shipped in is costing $20/month on the lease.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:20 PM
BlueMalibu

Ok, picked it up Tuesday.

Ended up being $479. They didn't tack on for transportation in the end - even though it came from Florida.

G37 Sedan, NO OPTIONS.

Dealer said this was the first manual trans SEDAN they had sold - ever.

Love it so far. Feels like it wants to run...but have to wait a few hundred miles before running it.

Only problem was about the third time I drove the gas gauge read empty. The car beeped and displayed "WARNING: Range 270 Miles." I thought that was funny. It fixed itself before I could complain.

Last edited by BlueMalibu; 10-30-2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: oops
Old 10-30-2009, 05:54 PM
volnedan

Too bad you already picked it up, I was going recommend Pfieffer Infiniti in Grand Rapids. I live 4 miles away from Suburban in Novi and I drove out the GR because the guys there did the best work to find me the last G35S 6MT in the midwest. Guess what? That car was sitting on lot in Suburban of Troy for 6 months. I tried to negotiate with them, but Grand Rapids gave me an additional $3k rebate that Troy wouldn't offer.

So I basically told Troy to f off, had the other dealer flat bed it for free, drove 2 hours to save $3,000 and free winter floormats :-)

Screw those guys in Troy, bunch of uppity @ssholes. Leased my first G35 coupe and later a G37 coupe from Ft. Wayne, and bought my sedan from Grand Rapids. Dealerships in the sticks are much better than the ones in the big cities.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:35 PM
x95stacey

Originally Posted by volnedan
Too bad you already picked it up, I was going recommend Pfieffer Infiniti in Grand Rapids. I live 4 miles away from Suburban in Novi and I drove out the GR because the guys there did the best work to find me the last G35S 6MT in the midwest. Guess what? That car was sitting on lot in Suburban of Troy for 6 months. I tried to negotiate with them, but Grand Rapids gave me an additional $3k rebate that Troy wouldn't offer.

So I basically told Troy to f off, had the other dealer flat bed it for free, drove 2 hours to save $3,000 and free winter floormats :-)

Screw those guys in Troy, bunch of uppity @ssholes. Leased my first G35 coupe and later a G37 coupe from Ft. Wayne, and bought my sedan from Grand Rapids. Dealerships in the sticks are much better than the ones in the big cities.
was it a grey color G? I remember them having a grey sport 6mt sedan in the showroom for the longest time over at Troy.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:02 PM
volnedan

Originally Posted by x95stacey
was it a grey color G? I remember them having a grey sport 6mt sedan in the showroom for the longest time over at Troy.
Yes, its platinum graphite, or gray in normal people speak. Car had about 100mi on the odometer, most likely from test drives where people tore up the clutch and ended up buying a G35x lol.

Didn't mean to offend anybody, but Troy Motor Mall dealers in general always give me hard time, mostly due to my young looks. Had a saleswoman at the Acura dealer take a personal phone call for over a minute while I was sitting at her desk trying to iron out details for TL Type-S. So I just got up and walked out. The GM tracked me down, but it was too late. Just rude.

Blue Malibu - good luck with your new purchase and be sure to get some witner tires otherwise you'll be testing out those new wire guard rails on 275 in no time...
Old 11-04-2009, 04:55 PM
BlueMalibu

Originally Posted by volnedan

Blue Malibu - good luck with your new purchase and be sure to get some witner tires otherwise you'll be testing out those new wire guard rails on 275 in no time...
Thanks for the advice. I'm going use the same Blizzaks as were on my CTS as the tire sizes are the same.