Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Random observations after 6 months ownership

Pros:
  • 328 hp from a NA V6 with 7500 rpm redline
  • Impressive acceleration
  • Great feel from Akebono brakes
  • Great steering feedback
  • Small turning radius
  • LSD + RWD + 6MT (rare combo in sedans from all makes)
  • Pedal placements facilitates heel and toe shifting
  • Nice interior design
  • Great visibility and driving position (no sitting in a bathtub feeling)
  • Great steering wheel shape (shape matters to me)
  • Excellent value relative to BMW/Audi/Lexus/Mercedes

Cons:
  • Some harshness from engine (NVH in general)
  • High clutch take-up
  • Average fuel consumption
  • Bland exterior design
  • Crappy selection of wheels on sedan
  • Low resolution navigation display
  • Cannot copy MP3s to Music Box
  • Bad placement of home-link buttons (on rear view mirror)
  • Dashboard creaks when hot and you turn the AC on

Verdict:

The car exceeded my expectations in terms of performance, driving dynamics, and comfort. If Infiniti addresses the NVH issues and makes the styling a bit more aggressive, it will surpass the BMW 335i as the benchmark of sports sedans.

Last edited by madmax2k1; 08-21-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice one Max. Here are my thoughts regarding yours and mine observations after 4 months of driving my 09 XS. I hope you dont mind that I butchered your nicely organized piece.

Pros:
  • "Excellent value relative to BMW!!!"
  • "Impressive acceleration" => AT HIGH RPMS ONLY
  • Regular brakes seem adequate but nothing special
  • Good steering feedback
  • Can just vegg out in traffic like in any other 4 door family car.
  • Paddle shifters are great fun on the open road and the 7AT althoug it has its quirks is fantastic overall
  • "Great visibility and driving position (no sitting in a bathtub feeling)" --> Agreed.
Cons:
  • Almsot no VHR harshness for the 7AT cars
  • "Nice interior design" but not super functional and not alot of storage space. Cupholders suck.
  • Average fuel consumption SUCKS but we all knew to expect that i think
  • Turning radius not as small as the RWD model
  • Exterior design can use different rims and fog lights in front bumper (hoefully the 2010 will get that fixed)
  • "Low resolution navigation display" --> does not bother me
  • "Cannot copy MP3s to Music Box" --> sux
  • "Bad placement of home-link buttons (on rear view mirror)" --> don't use it.
  • "Dashboard creaks when hot and you turn the AC on" --> I think the creaks are just starting my friend... lol
Verdict:

I would say the car meets my expectations in terms of performance, except the all season tires which are not up to the task. Driving dynamics, and comfort are excellent but I would not rate the overall seat comfort on long drives more than a 7 out of 10.

I was a little upset I could not get a RWD, but all in all I kind of like the softer charachteristics of the XS. In NY its nothing but traffic all the time and some of the pothholes are so huge I have to get out fo the car to check that the car is ok. The the softer suspension and tires come in very handy. I iwll have to wait till winter to see how I like the AWD.

IMO To really nail the 335i, Infiniti needs to lessen the useless 7800rpm horsepower and instead add low rpm torque, and re-gear the 7at so that we can be below 2k rpms at 70mph in 7th gear for better gas milage.

P.S. OB looks great but what a PIA. Cmon Infiniti MW with Graphite pleaasee!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:29 PM
strivedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37XS. 2 Months 5000k Miles: Daily Driver.

Pros:
  • Impressive acceleration when you push pedal down.
  • Brakes are sleek..
  • I love to steer even at low speeds. Its very toy like. Which is great!
  • Interiors are soothing.
  • Great visibility and driving position.
  • I really love the steering shape.. Its fantastic.. I was driving MB C300 Sports and when I handled MB's steering I felt like I was driving a truck. [It was HUUUUGEE]
  • Excellent value relative to anyone who wants Performance & Luxury Vehicle for this price.

Cons:
  • Sometimes jerky Shifts.
  • High clutch take-up
  • Average fuel consumption [ I get around 23/24]
  • Interiors need more elegance..
  • VERY Bland exterior design
  • Uncool resolution navigation display
  • Cannot sit for more than 1hr. My butt hurts.
  • Very less space to store things in the car.
  • My car had asthama attack 2 days ago. [Symptoms: I pressed the accel. but I felt car was choked and didn't respond for atleast 2 seconds.] This happnd for the first/last time. So its all good.
Verdict:

I cannot stop loving this car based on driving and options.. I bought this car after I drove other cars as everyone else on this forum. So we all know what we have. :-)
Old 08-22-2009, 01:46 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was in my father-in-law's new 2010 Honda Pilot just the other day -- full loaded -- navi/camera/etc, and it is basically the same interior (button wise) as the New Acura MDX, and it's interior is very similar to the Acura Tl...

I was marvelling at how complicated it is to get something done with all those buttons -- to make a phone call, to adjust the station, to start navigation -- ugh

The Infiniti display, yes, sucky resolution (solved for 2010, whoopie for us), but the interface is simple, easy to use, and intuitive --

I got back into my G37 and marvelled at how FEW buttons there are, and for me, I'm sure others will disagree -- make things very simple for me...

Love the car all in all, 8/10 -- can't get comfortable with my left arm resting on the door -- a bit too high and the padding is too firm... i get numb fingers after a while. Love the sport seat, love the acceleration compared to my 2k4 TL 5AT.

I don't know what happened to my tranny, but it's perfectly smooth now (7AT) after 4000 miles and an oil change -- as predicted by Black betty.

Wish I had the parktronic for my condo parking space, but the rear cam is perfect for negotiating backing up.

POI's suck royally on the navi -- hands down.

Wish i could DO anything while driving on the navi/GUI -- sucks that it's 70% disabled while going faster than 1 mph... really considering Kevin Pearson's module to work around this...
Old 08-22-2009, 02:49 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Pros:
  • 328 hp from a NA V6 with 7500 rpm redline
  • Impressive acceleration
  • Great feel from Akebono brakes
  • Great steering feedback
  • Small turning radius
  • LSD + RWD + 6MT (rare combo in sedans from all makes)
  • Pedal placements facilitates heel and toe shifting
  • Nice interior design
  • Great visibility and driving position (no sitting in a bathtub feeling)
  • Great steering wheel shape (shape matters to me)
  • Excellent value relative to BMW/Audi/Lexus/Mercedes

Cons:
  • Some harshness from engine (NVH in general)
  • High clutch take-up
  • Average fuel consumption
  • Bland exterior design
  • Crappy selection of wheels on sedan
  • Low resolution navigation display
  • Cannot copy MP3s to Music Box
  • Bad placement of home-link buttons (on rear view mirror)
  • Dashboard creaks when hot and you turn the AC on

Verdict:

The car exceeded my expectations in terms of performance, driving dynamics, and comfort. If Infiniti addresses the NVH issues and makes the styling a bit more aggressive, it will surpass the BMW 335i as the benchmark of sports sedans.

Wow. You one I've seen with the same configuration as my g. The only difference between our cars is the color and trans. I have yet to see any rwd sedans on the road. I haven't even seen a 37 sedan on the road yet.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:18 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I don't know what happened to my tranny, but it's perfectly smooth now (7AT) after 4000 miles and an oil change -- as predicted by Black betty.
Now that the transmission has learned your driving habits it can shift much smoother as it knows what to expect.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:40 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Guess I'll add to this as well...

Pros:
  • Great acceleration for a v-6, non-turbo
  • I actually like the interior design. But I'm coming from a G8 GT.
  • Great paint (look & shine)
  • Handling is fantastic. Smooth at all speeds, agile in traffic.
  • Stock brakes are actually very, very good
  • If you add a sub, the stock stereo sounds fine for most folks
  • Steering wheel is the best I've put my hands on
  • I think infiniti did a good job giving us a stock exhaust that sounds good without highway drone.
  • I think it will be a very reliable DD - G8 was not.

Cons:
  • NVH inside is a disappointing problem. Lots of little creaks and rattles - door, rear deck, dash.
  • Exhaust still needs less backpressure, so I'll be swapping soon.
  • Definitely needs more low-end torque, please, and different gearing - needs about 30 lbs more torque at much lower rpms. Would would make so much of a difference for real-world driving.
  • Transmission shift response, and throttle response is odd for a performance sedan. Too much delay, and proper downshifting for appropriate torque does not occur much of the time - you often never know what the car's response will be at 50 and 60% throttle
  • Needs 18's as base wheel size.
  • Exterior design is way too bland (needs way more aggressive fender flares, for one), and the nose for the journey is just, well, not attractive.
  • Needs separated fogs, and daytime running lights.
  • My gas mileage is ALMOST THE SAME as my G8's 6.0 liter v-8 - how can that be??? In fact, my G8's highway gas mileage was much better - 24-26 @ 75-80 as opposed to the G37's 22-25, same speed.
  • Seats could be a little better. Again, the G8's seats were 6-hour seats, easy, while the G37's are good for 2-3 for me before back pain sets in. Very surprising.

I really enjoy the car from a driver's perspective - it fulfills it's primary function well, which is to be fun-to-drive. I can see why people go nuts on different fascias, rears, lips, body kits - car is just too bland from many angles, but I knew this going in. The other thing is that I just really, really, miss all that low-end torque that snaps your head back, etc.

As mentioned by other posters, if Infiniti really wants to get ahead of the 335, they will need to DI the engine, and up the displacement a bit, and change some other engine internals. Or lower displacement with F/I. Forget all that dual throttle body nonsense, because I really think performance buyers could give a **** about 'acceleration swell' or 7800 redlines.
Most buyers need more torque down low, and more responsive throttles and AT trannys.

Infiniti's going to need to give people options, or get off the performance vs luxury fence. I really think they could carve out their section of the market by being more aggressive than BMW with engines and transmissions.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:28 PM
classy37

I'm really surprised by all of the responses saying the exterior is bland. I actually love the exterior, and can't think of any car in the G's class that looks better...

TL? I don't mind it as much as others do, but it is admittedly a bit 'out there'...
335 Sedan? Not bad, but don't see it as any more aggressive than the G.
CTS? Not my cup of tee. Too many flat surfaces.
Audi A4? Minus the christmas lights in front headlights (very nice), nothing about the design is more aggressive than the G.
Lexus IS350? Nice looking car, but again less aggressive than the G.

I think all the exterior is lacking is 18" stock wheels, standard, and a slightly lower stance for the AWD.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:48 AM
netmag

I think riding the luxury vs performance fence IS Infiniti's niche. In this price range at the moment, I don't know if you can get a better balance between the two. The G8 is essentially a nice big engine on wheels. That's fine but not enough if someone is looking for some luxury too.

I'm looking at Infiniti because I want both. I don't want just a monster engine with no lux. From my test drives of the G37 sedan, I like the fact that it can drive fairly nice and luxurious (enough) when I want but then when I jump on it, the temperment changes accordingly. At least that's what it felt like from a few test drives and i really liked it. Sure, it's not as smooth and tame as a Lexus but that's ok. That can be Lexus' niche. I kind of like how it rides the fence because while I enjoy a sporty ride at times, I'm really not interested in buying anything that leans a bit too much towards being a street legal rally car or drag racer.

In terms of aggressive looks, I think it's about on par with other cars in it's class. The most aggressive looking from the cars I've been checking out in this class is probably the Mercedes 300/350 sport. Unfortunately for Mercedes though, the performance does not match the look (or price).

So I'm ok with the exterior look. Not perfect but pretty good. For my tastes though, they could take the interior lux up a notch.

As for low end torque, that probably all depends on where you're coming from. From where I'm coming from, it has enough, but if they tweaked it so that there was more, I wouldn't complain about that either.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

I was asking myself WTF when you said 'Bland exterior design' but then I saw you have a sedan, so I agree.

Should have got the coupe.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:46 AM
gthal

With a 6MT, I agree with the NVH issue. However, with the 5AT or 7AT, the car is very smooth with no NVH concerns as compared to my BMW 328i. Just as refined, smooth. However, the 6MT does introduce a harshness to the engine and transmission.

I'm on my 2nd G37 and have not experienced any of the squeeks and rattles some have. Glad I haven't because that stuff drives me nuts. Just to make everyone feel better, my 2007 BMW 328i had lots of squeeks and rattles too... I actually took apart the rear window shelf and had to line it with felt and electrical tape to stop some REALLY bad squeeks that were very common on the 3 series. Squeeks and rattles can happen in all cars so it isn't just a G thing. But I do feel for those of you that have them!!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:49 AM
js3350z

the exterior is also what I dislike about the G sedan, it is a fun car to drive but I think the previous gen TL type S is one of the best looking sedans out there, but it is a little lacking in power and FWD and the new TL is UGLY....

I am really not to sure what I would get if I needed a sedan at this point, probably G8 gxp... and while not a sedan I think if it came down to needing a family vehicle it would be jeep srt8
Old 08-23-2009, 12:36 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
^^^ js3350z - it's a great car but yes, the sedan is a tad bland. I'd loved to have gotten the GXP, but I needed more reliability for the dd, the srt8 jeep would be a blast, I think too...whosurbuddie - I realize the coupe people love to rag on the sedan buyers for some reason, but some people need four doors, my friend. The car is still a great car - I just need to get some bigger wheels, a catback and a tune, I'll be fine.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:26 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Sedan wise, I think the best right now is either the CTS-V or IS-F.

I actually wasn't raggin on the sedan. I seriously thought you were talking about the coupe at first, saying the exterior is bland and I was scratching my head. But once I saw it was in the sedan section, it made sense.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I gotta ask. Why do we compare a NA car against a FI car like a 335? I can understand why BMW would want or need to... rather than comparing their FI and NA cars against others.
Now, if Infiniti were to add $10,000.00 to the price and a pair of turbos, that would be a head's up comparison to me. What are your thoughts?

Quick Reply: Random observations after 6 months ownership