G37 Sedan

Damage from Debris flying from Truck on Highway

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:24 AM
classy37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by classy37
2- I purchased this vehicle, so resale value is important to me. Will going through the truck co.'s insurance and getting this work done at a body shop be logged in my vehicle history? In other words, I will probably not go through with this if means that it will be seen in the vehicle's carfax. How does this work exactly? Is an accident logged only if police are called? Police were not called in this incident.
I've had multiple quotes and an appraisal from the truck's insurance and NO ONE can answer this question . Each party defers to the other. Some of them said the truck's insurance control this, the appraiser said the state of NJ controls this,
I just fear going through with this, checking my VIN in carfax one day and seeing 'Vehicle Involved in an Accident' or 'Repair done by so-and-so body shop'...

Does anyone know, definitively, who in this case would decide/make an entry in the vehicle history?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:25 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
if it less than a certain amount it will not show up.

I believe the amount is $1,001.00 and up.

Less than a grand is just cosmetic, when you sell it you can be honest.
Personally I wouldn't walk away from buying a car that only had $550.00 worth of damages.
Just keep all the documentation from Insurance co/trucking company & estimate for repair.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:58 PM
classy37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
if it less than a certain amount it will not show up.

I believe the amount is $1,001.00 and up.

Less than a grand is just cosmetic, when you sell it you can be honest.
Personally I wouldn't walk away from buying a car that only had $550.00 worth of damages.
Just keep all the documentation from Insurance co/trucking company & estimate for repair.
That may be a problem then, as my estimate is slightly higher than that threshold.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:28 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by classy37
I've had multiple quotes and an appraisal from the truck's insurance and NO ONE can answer this question . Each party defers to the other. Some of them said the truck's insurance control this, the appraiser said the state of NJ controls this,
I just fear going through with this, checking my VIN in carfax one day and seeing 'Vehicle Involved in an Accident' or 'Repair done by so-and-so body shop'...

Does anyone know, definitively, who in this case would decide/make an entry in the vehicle history?

My G was hit by a PT Cruiser over a year ago and had 7K or so in damages on it. I just ran the carfax on it a week ago and nothing shows up at all. I have heard that the threshold for something to appear on Carfax is $1000.01. That makes no sense in my mind though why mine doesn't show. I'd definatley get it fixed properly, especially on a purchased car, like you did. It will come out looking like new!
Old 08-13-2009, 06:26 PM
GOTTIITTOG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take your car to the prefered body shop for your dealership.