G37 Sedan

3 month checkup necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:00 PM
2009g37xs
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The three month service is just an oil change and a free check up it doesn't cost any more than a regular oil change
Old 08-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Mike P

I happen to like the check-up times. Although I think the oil changes at 3,000 miles are rediculess since I use synthetic, the check-ups seem to make sense to me. If you use the major times, you get the oil and the service done together. The relationship you have with your dealer is important when your trying to get things resolved.

The alerts are very easy to change. Just make sure you document what you are doing if you do not use the dealer. This way a warrantee issue can go much more smoothly IMO.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:25 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
It seems like my dealer is the only one that has a one price for all basic maintance program? $180 gets you oil changes plus fluid top offs. I always get a loaner etc. Are the other dealers out there that bad? It costs me $2.34 for every oil change (disposal fee). And in a pinch i'll even let them wash the car.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:57 AM
Kwang

I did my first service today -- after 5 months and 3700 miles.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:52 AM
upperdecker

My dealer says that all of their vehicles get the oil replaced with synthetic prior to sale, so there is no need to bring it in for service until 7500. Does that sound right? If this has been discussed previously, I apologize.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 08-18-2009, 01:17 PM
stardust
Premier Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
My dealer gave me a 2 week checkup and first oil change free. My 2 week checkup just involved draining the oil, transmission fluid, and coolant. They said it was to get rid of any debris left over from the manufacturing process. Seemed a bit unnecessary to me but it was free so I figured why not.
That dealer is stupid

A three month check up makes sense to me. Ther service guide book has each appointment at 3 month intervals. I just take mine in every 3 months.
Thats a giant waste of money
Old 08-18-2009, 11:13 PM
calvin_hobbes

Originally Posted by legion681
Got my G37x Sedan on May 7th 2009...so exactly today it's 3 months old and I got that letter too. I have 1500+ miles on it and I won't be taking it in until I have 3750 miles on it...IMHO, I believe scheduled maintenance by time (every 3 months or 6 months or whatever) it's just a way to relieve you of your money...
they also say they will void the warranty if you take your car someplace else and then something breaks....ie an oil change and the engine block dies.....even with proper documentation
Old 08-18-2009, 11:15 PM
calvin_hobbes

Originally Posted by 2009g37xs
The three month service is just an oil change and a free check up it doesn't cost any more than a regular oil change
how much does your dealer charge for an oil change?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:58 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
gd infinity. seriously, what a racket.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:27 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes
they also say they will void the warranty if you take your car someplace else and then something breaks....ie an oil change and the engine block dies.....even with proper documentation
Who is "they"? That is BS, unless they can prove that whatever you had done caused the failure.

As long as the oil is changed according to the specifications, it does not matter who does it.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Sribb43

Just got my G37 this weekend and so what exactly is covered under the man. warranty 4yr 60k?...seems like anytime you take the car into service they are going to charge you. WTF
Old 08-19-2009, 11:29 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KLB
Who is "they"? That is BS, unless they can prove that whatever you had done caused the failure.

As long as the oil is changed according to the specifications, it does not matter who does it.
CH is either a kid or a mole on this forum. His posts continue to amuse me.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:00 PM
bobmcc

Besides the G37, my wife and I have 2 Hondas that we use as everyday drivers. I like the Honda oil maintenance read-out on the dash that counts down your oil life based on usage, temps, speeds, etc. When it gets down to 10% then you change the oil--you don't worry about milage or 3 months or whatever. If it doesn't go down to 10% in one year, then you just change the oil yearly.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:20 PM
upperdecker

Originally Posted by upperdecker
My dealer says that all of their vehicles get the oil replaced with synthetic prior to sale, so there is no need to bring it in for service until 7500. Does that sound right? If this has been discussed previously, I apologize.

Thanks,

Tom
I am still trying to ascertain whether what my dealer says (see above) is true. I now have about 5K miles, and I am wondering if I am risking damage by waiting until 7500 for the first oil change.

Again, the dealer claims they put synthetic in prior to sale, but the warnings on the dash tell me I need to get it done. I realize these are strictly mileage based, but i continue to question whether the dealer actually did replace the factory oil with synthetic, and whether I ought to be getting a change now (or even 1250 miles ago).

Any help appreciated, and I apologize again if this has been covered previously.

Tom
Old 11-30-2009, 08:07 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by upperdecker
I am still trying to ascertain whether what my dealer says (see above) is true. I now have about 5K miles, and I am wondering if I am risking damage by waiting until 7500 for the first oil change.

Again, the dealer claims they put synthetic in prior to sale, but the warnings on the dash tell me I need to get it done. I realize these are strictly mileage based, but i continue to question whether the dealer actually did replace the factory oil with synthetic, and whether I ought to be getting a change now (or even 1250 miles ago).

Any help appreciated, and I apologize again if this has been covered previously.

Tom
It would be foolish of them to lie to you. 7500 miles keeps you in compliance with the warranty.

If it would make you feel better get it changed. Piece of mind is often worth that small of a charge.

Quick Reply: 3 month checkup necessary?