G37 Sedan

Aftermarket exhaust for sedan questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009 | 02:36 PM
G37-6MT

Aftermarket exhaust for sedan questions...

What’s out there other than Stillen and Fast Intentions? Those are complete cat-back replacements and seem like overkill for someone just looking to increase tone a bit. I know the couple has some options that install after the stock mid-pipe. How about the sedan?<ST1</ST1<O</OWhat about just replacing the mid-pipe with something more aggressive and leaving the stock mufflers? Anyone tried that?

<O</OI have searched and cannot find anything other than full cat-back replacement for the sedan. I wonder if Stillen or FI would sell the mid-pipe or mufflers only? <O</O
<O</O

Can I get someone with these to do some experimenting with the OEM combination? It would be interesting to know if the change in sound come mostly from the change in mufflers.<O</O
Old 07-20-2009 | 02:44 PM
beezy619

Tanabe makes an axle back exhaust.
Old 07-20-2009 | 03:00 PM
G37-6MT

Originally Posted by beezy619
Tanabe makes an axle back exhaust.
I forgot that one. Wow! $600 for a pair of mufflers.
Old 07-20-2009 | 05:23 PM
StopTheExcuses

Originally Posted by G37-6MT
What’s out there other than Stillen and Fast Intentions? Those are complete cat-back replacements and seem like overkill for someone just looking to increase tone a bit. I know the couple has some options that install after the stock mid-pipe. How about the sedan?<st1></st1><o></o>What about just replacing the mid-pipe with something more aggressive and leaving the stock mufflers? Anyone tried that?

<o></o>I have searched and cannot find anything other than full cat-back replacement for the sedan. I wonder if Stillen or FI would sell the mid-pipe or mufflers only? <o></o>
<o></o>

Can I get someone with these to do some experimenting with the OEM combination? It would be interesting to know if the change in sound come mostly from the change in mufflers.<o></o>
The Stillen Unit increases the tone just enough to be very sporty and throaty but not raspy or likely to drone. I was in the same boat as you and didn't want a ridiculous sounding boy racer exhaust and the Stillen unit sounds incredible. I get at least 5 comments about how good it sounds a week, I'm not kidding.

I posted up a youtube clip of it, but it really needs to be heard in person. Plus, with the deals Stillen is having, you can have it shipped to your door for right at 1k. From what you say you are looking for, I don't see how in the world you would be dissapointed with the Stillen unit.
Old 07-20-2009 | 05:27 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Greddy Spectrum Elite is a y pipe back system that is not very loud but gives it a nice deep throaty sound. Its also not very loud

Let me know if i can help
Old 07-20-2009 | 05:32 PM
G37-6MT

Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses
The Stillen Unit increases the tone just enough to be very sporty and throaty but not raspy or likely to drone. I was in the same boat as you and didn't want a ridiculous sounding boy racer exhaust and the Stillen unit sounds incredible. I get at least 5 comments about how good it sounds a week, I'm not kidding.

I posted up a youtube clip of it, but it really needs to be heard in person. Plus, with the deals Stillen is having, you can have it shipped to your door for right at 1k. From what you say you are looking for, I don't see how in the world you would be dissapointed with the Stillen unit.
I'm pretty sure I heard your clip on youtube (and some other stillen exhausts). It does sound good, but $1,000 is a lot for just a change in tone. I'd rather just get a more aggressive mid-pipe OR more aggressive mufflers to save some money. A full cat-back exhaust is overkill on this car. Unless you plan for forced induction, the OEM exhaust flows well.

Maybe I'll change my mind at some point or maybe the sedan exhaust options will open up over time.

BTW - we have the same car.
Old 07-20-2009 | 05:37 PM
G35s-Dude

There is also the Invidia Q300 full cat back exhaust ($850 shipped from amplified), it's very nice, it doesn't drone and there is no rasp at all, here's a link for it installed and reviewed with TONS of pictures:

http://g35driver.com/forums/v36-engi...0-exhaust.html
Old 07-20-2009 | 09:33 PM
popcornten

The Stillen is a great exhaust. Think of this - it increases power (maybe +10?), decreases weight (-14lbs), increases sound, increases looks, and increases mileage (i've noticed +2-3mpg highway cruising).

HOWEVER, it does drone a bit - but totally worth it. It doesn't bother me and easily drowned out by music, which I rarely listen to when I have my windows open so I can hear the exhaust.

FI is very similar but more expensive, a little less drone, and worse looks IMO - although they've started to offer tips like the Stillen.

Look at a custom system that a local shop can do for you, that's probably the best bet to just use generic (i.e. cheap) parts
Old 07-20-2009 | 11:18 PM
beezy619

Originally Posted by G35s-Dude
There is also the Invidia Q300 full cat back exhaust ($850 shipped from amplified), it's very nice, it doesn't drone and there is no rasp at all, here's a link for it installed and reviewed with TONS of pictures:

I love my Invidia exhaust. If you're going to spend money on an axle back exhuast, I recomend saving the extra $200 and getting the Invidia. Looks alone is already worth the price...
Old 07-20-2009 | 11:57 PM
g37mobbin

http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-37-s...-07-sedan.html

just in case you want to look at other things as well
Old 07-21-2009 | 10:08 AM
G37-6MT

Originally Posted by G35s-Dude

That does look very nice, but again, why the need to replace everything from the cats backward? I wish these companies would let you purchase just the mid-pipe or just the mufflers so we could experiment. It can't be necessary to replace all of that just to change the tone a little from stock. I think that is just part of marketing. Clearly, Tanabe doesn't think you need to swap the mid-pipe.

Everyone - thanks for all your help.
Old 07-21-2009 | 10:48 AM
G37-6MT

Lots of discussion about exhausts sounding raspy. I don't want that at all. Makes me think this car needs those resonators to kill the rasp. Infiniti must have put them there for a reason. I see the Stillen and FI exhaust have resonators, but they are more aggressive than OEM.
Old 07-21-2009 | 01:39 PM
G35s-Dude

Originally Posted by G37-6MT
Lots of discussion about exhausts sounding raspy. I don't want that at all. Makes me think this car needs those resonators to kill the rasp. Infiniti must have put them there for a reason. I see the Stillen and FI exhaust have resonators, but they are more aggressive than OEM.
Strangely Invidia got no resonators and there is no rasp at all, but you can go with Greddy if you need Y-pipe back exhaust.
Old 07-24-2009 | 01:02 AM
Rottten Appples

Full Cat back my friend => https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...ound-clip.html
Old 07-24-2009 | 03:34 AM
iguess

Currently, there are 2 axle-backs on the market. HKS and Tanabe. Both cost around $600.
here is a vid of a 2nd gen g35 sedan with HKS hi-power mufflers.
http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=HPIM0230.flv

I have an 08' G35x sedan, and, like you, wanted a bit more sound. Decided to create my own set up rather than buy entire cat-back.
Through experience, and listening to lots of youtube clips, I figured out that round and oval mufflers produce different sounds.
An example. G sedan with Tanabe Oval mufflers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roDDEvw0GRw

G coupe with Round Tanabe mufflers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mcl5RBRKeE

I think the coupe set-up sounds much better. Round mufflers tend to be smaller, which makes them sound more agressive, IMO. (smaller also = louder)
I decided to get a g37 coupe midpipe to replace the sedan one. Coupe midpipes have smaller resonators, making your system a bit louder.
First thing I tried was Sebring oval mufflers. I would say it was comparable to the tanabe sedan clip. Sound was good, but I wanted something like the coupe tanabe vid.

Since Tanabe doesnt make round mufflers for our cars, I bought sebring tuning- 6" round mufflers and had them welded on. There is a pretty big difference from the oval ones. I really like how they sound, but it's also fairly loud, inside the car and out. I will make a sound clip in a few days.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust for sedan questions...