G37 Sedan

Hard to drive .. uh.. slow

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:40 PM
G37-6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madmax2k1
IMO, what the G37 lacks in torque makes it up with the 7500 rpm red line. This engine keeps pulling strong all the way to its red line as opposed to high torque engines that typically fall flat as soon as soon as you hit 6000 rpm.
My 2-valve Mustang GT fell on it's face at the end of the rev range. My 3-valve Mustang pulled hard all the way through. The current 3V mustang motor was pretty sweet and it was a faster car than my 2V mustang even though it was a bit heavier. <O</O
<O</O
The 7500 rev. limit does help and yes, the gearing will make up for the modest torque production. The only time I notice a torque deficiency is right off the line for the first 5-10 feet. <O</O
Old 07-06-2009, 02:49 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mindonmatter
Just get a Corvette and call it a piece of ****

Sorry, couldn't resist.
The Geiger Black Edition.

890 hp and 620 lf-lbs tq

Old 07-06-2009, 03:04 PM
mindonmatter

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
The Geiger Black Edition.

890 hp and 620 lf-lbs tq

Sounds fun. But, is the price really comparable to a G?

I wonder if the back-bumper still has the quality/rigidity of a piece of paper?

The interior is probably as good as ever too. I'm sure the fit/finish/materials rivals any Stratus or Cavalier on the road

Oh....got rattles?

And while I'm at it....
What is it with every Corvette out there being driven by a 65yo man driving 25mph under the speed limit? Speed TFU.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:44 PM
zmzmzm

I think the OP point was that it was hard to drive the G slow, not that it was the fastest/torquiest/best car on the planet.

I am enjoying the torque that mine has, as well as the luxury, ride, and price.

There's always a faster/better anything. Part of enjoying life is taking pleasure in what you have.... and I'm enjoying my 6 speed G37 sedan. It's great performance and fun for a car I can take my family in!
Old 07-06-2009, 07:54 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree zmzmzm - it is a very fun car to drive - everything just sort of comes together well.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:44 PM
nyclio

perhaps i should rephrase - what car in the same price range has more torque yet also handles as well as the G in the twisties?
Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
New or used?
New - Possibly a Pontiac G8 GXP, doesnt look nearly as good though.
Used - One of the best bets is a MB E55 AMG. I believe they are 475 hp and 525 tq. My friend here has one with a chip and it is a monster that will throw your head back in every gear.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:03 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
New or used?
New - Possibly a Pontiac G8 GXP, doesnt look nearly as good though.
Used - One of the best bets is a MB E55 AMG. I believe they are 475 hp and 525 tq. My friend here has one with a chip and it is a monster that will throw your head back in every gear.
New of course. Comparing used car prices to a new car is silly. Keep going back and you can find just about anything for the same price range.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nyclio
perhaps i should rephrase - what car in the same price range has more torque yet also handles as well as the G in the twisties?
A Base vette (cheaper, handles better)
A LS swapped Miata MSR (far cheaper, handles WAY better)
Mazdaspeed 3 (far cheaper, handles better)
Cobalt SS (far cheaper, handles better)
Lancer Evolution (cheaper, handles better)
WRX STI (Cheaper, handles better)

The G holds its own for a luxury car, but it is a jack of all trades. Just how it's engine is "above average", it's handling is "above average".
Old 07-08-2009, 11:14 PM
JIM56

Everything is relative and PeterUbers makes a good point compared to most mid-size cars whose 'optional' more powerful engine is a 3.5-3.8L V6 with around 240-290hp and typically around 270 ft-lb torque (and just a few years ago was around 220 ft-lbs torque).

While the 3.7L VVEL does not have more torque than these typical 3.5-3.8L engines, I think it develops more torque at lower rpm, the 7AT provides 4 low ratio gears to maintain higher rpm and available torque during acceleration, the drivetrain is mapped so that acceleration does not fall off but 'swells', and the exhaust system is tuned to provide a clear, harmonic sporty noise.

So, once moving, the G37 7AT 'acceleration swell' and sound actually changes the way I normally drive compared to my older 'family sedan' -- it is hard to slowly accelerate (say 2000-2500rpm) and out of habit in normal driving, I run up extra rpm (3000+) -- it is just too fun. I think this also explains why it is hard to get the mpg that one might expect with this car.

Again, this is all relative, the G37 is not a torque monster like some of the others mention. My only experience is a 1966 Olds with the 425 cu in high compression engine that had around 400-450 gross ft-lbs, but not much hp. You could mash the pedal half way down, spin the bias-ply rear tire about 1 revolution on dry pavement, and pull slowly away. Jumps off the line, but not real fast after that. But that was fun too !!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:57 PM
dbg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any car that offers a measure of performance will be hard for a driver who looks for that to ignore.

The G37 is not your typical entry level luxury sedan, because of the sports design bias it has in the platform. Obviously fwd "sports" sedans cannot compete with this type of platform, and there are not that many RWD sports sedans lurking about. BMW, Lexus and the G8 are about it when it comes to anything resembling the level of car, performance and price range.
The G37 can also be a rather subdued entry luxury car when the driver drives it as such. That is part of its appeal, because it seems to do so much very well and at reasonable price point.
Factor in reliability records, owner satisfaction, and MPG figures (when driven appropriately) that are competitive with much less sporting V6 equipped sedans and the G sedan becomes a stand out.
For instance a loaded up Camry v6, Malibu v6, Accord v6 which are not that much lower in feature count or price point, don't perform as well. In this regard the normal car buying public just isn't all that aware of the G and what it really offers.
I think they look at Infinity as being a premium brand that they don't think they can afford, or the G37 as being too much of a sports car rather than a practical sedan. They are wrong on both counts.
I think the G37 is right on the sweet spot.

The G37 in my book is a powerful car that offers refinement and features that can be very expensive to try and find elsewhere. When you discover cars that can out perform it, generally they fall short in other departments. (Try the back seats in an IS)

Powerful cars can be driven tastefully slow when they are not viewed by the public as boy racer toys or ricer's wheels. It doesn't mean they are slow.

Have you ever noticed that new Vette owners are seldom seen doing burnouts? But it doesn't mean they don't and cannot. But they typically are not teenagers with trust fund money, and they know that a 50k dollar car should be cared for and driven reasonably most of the time.

Lastly, yes it can be hard to drive.... slow. But try anyway, it confuses the enemy. You can blast by them later.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been screaming for a G25 for years VQ25HR with DI!
Old 07-09-2009, 10:59 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg37
Any car that offers a measure of performance will be hard for a driver who looks for that to ignore.

The G37 is not your typical entry level luxury sedan, because of the sports design bias it has in the platform. Obviously fwd "sports" sedans cannot compete with this type of platform, and there are not that many RWD sports sedans lurking about. BMW, Lexus and the G8 are about it when it comes to anything resembling the level of car, performance and price range.
The G37 can also be a rather subdued entry luxury car when the driver drives it as such. That is part of its appeal, because it seems to do so much very well and at reasonable price point.
Factor in reliability records, owner satisfaction, and MPG figures (when driven appropriately) that are competitive with much less sporting V6 equipped sedans and the G sedan becomes a stand out.
For instance a loaded up Camry v6, Malibu v6, Accord v6 which are not that much lower in feature count or price point, don't perform as well. In this regard the normal car buying public just isn't all that aware of the G and what it really offers.
I think they look at Infinity as being a premium brand that they don't think they can afford, or the G37 as being too much of a sports car rather than a practical sedan. They are wrong on both counts.
I think the G37 is right on the sweet spot.

The G37 in my book is a powerful car that offers refinement and features that can be very expensive to try and find elsewhere. When you discover cars that can out perform it, generally they fall short in other departments. (Try the back seats in an IS)

Powerful cars can be driven tastefully slow when they are not viewed by the public as boy racer toys or ricer's wheels. It doesn't mean they are slow.

Have you ever noticed that new Vette owners are seldom seen doing burnouts? But it doesn't mean they don't and cannot. But they typically are not teenagers with trust fund money, and they know that a 50k dollar car should be cared for and driven reasonably most of the time.

Lastly, yes it can be hard to drive.... slow. But try anyway, it confuses the enemy. You can blast by them later.
Well said; I'm surprised that the G does not sell much more, it's such a screaming bargain compared to the 3 series and IS I'm surprised it does not outsell both these cars. I think Infiniti should do a better marketing job, and offer a 2.5 liter V6 to help boost sales.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 PM
JIM56

Yes, the G37 has at least two personalities -- a near-luxury persona and a sports car persona. With controlled acceleration and at highway speeds the car is comfortable and solid -- from the stiff sport suspension you can feel the road, but the car transmits very little vibration and noise. It feels substantial, solid, and capable of effortlessly cruising at any speed.

I did not buy the car for long trips, but after trying it for an 800 mile weekend trip a couple weeks ago, I was surprised and amazed at how comfortable the trip was -- I was not fatigued or tired and was still having fun driving after the 800 miiles.

So far, this just seems like a great all around car.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:10 AM
hragarand

Is this considered low end torque - 1987 WE4 Turbo Regal. 3.8L V6 Turbo - under rated at 355lb/ft @ 2,000 rpm. Loved that car straight line. Ordered new in 1987 from Crossroad Buick/Chevrolet - radio delete, roll up windows, posi, solid roof, lame 85 mph sweep speedo, and so on.

Ran a Kenne/Bell stage I street chip for another 60 HP and more torque. Turbo boost topped at 16 psi on 93 octane. Replaced 180 degree thermo with 160. The recipe for a turbo regal was each degree cooler = 1 HP or so. Tires would release all through the 4 speed automatic.

Not mine but exact in every way - btw, ~$17,100 in 1987 13-week wait and only 1,570 or so produced on the WE4 - stolen in 1994 or so

Last edited by hragarand; 07-17-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Hard to drive .. uh.. slow